Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole holidays curtailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was fully let go from my job a couple of months ago. I had worked without a holiday for about 18 months as I had changed jobs between then. I am currently on the dole but as soon as I am able to go away and I even if I dont get a job in the meantime, I will be taking up my 2 weeks holidays. Not one **** given. I earned it and have saved for it.

I know the ire is directed at full time dole merchants who seem to be able to afford a trip to Santa Ponsa every year but when you have been working for a while, have been responsible with your money, I don't see a problem with going on holiday for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't mind if they suspended the 2 weeks payment, as I am on holiday and not looking for work during those 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

pablo128 wrote: »
    Why don't you look at the post i quoted instead of steaming in with your dole bashing sledgehammer.

Sorry if misunderstood your post.

Do have a bee in my bonnet.

I'm just back to work when I'm not fully better from a serious injury as I've no other choice. Have to work in serious pain and risk of aggravating the injury.

Can't understand after 20+ years of paying PRSI that I get 203 euro a week, get nothing for my kids. Ridiculous that someone who never worked will get more benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sorry if misunderstood your post.

Do have a bee in my bonnet.

I'm just back to work when I'm not fully better from a serious injury as I've no other choice. Have to work in serious pain and risk of aggravating the injury.

Can't understand after 20+ years of paying PRSI that I get 203 euro a week, get nothing for my kids. Ridiculous that someone who never worked will get more benefits.
    Ah but you were working for 20 years you are regarded as rich by the left wing dirtbirds.
    Unlike Whacker and Sharon who "never had the oppoopportunity to get a job like you so they are ok to sponge off everyone else in their forever home

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Edgware wrote: »
    Ah but you were working for 20 years you are regarded as rich by the left wing dirtbirds.
    Unlike Whacker and Sharon who "never had the oppoopportunity to get a job like you so they are ok to sponge off everyone else in their forever home
    Not only that, but you aren't entitled to the Christmas bonus if you are only short term on the dole. They only give it to long termers. So rewarding people who won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Guys, complain about the SW system all day long. But the people claiming it are not the core issue. If it wasn't as rewarding to be on SW, less people would be on it. It's no secret that 'asylum seekers' bypass many other countries to land here. There's a good reason for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was fully let go from my job a couple of months ago. I had worked without a holiday for about 18 months as I had changed jobs between then. I am currently on the dole but as soon as I am able to go away and I even if I dont get a job in the meantime, I will be taking up my 2 weeks holidays. Not one **** given. I earned it and have saved for it.

I know the ire is directed at full time dole merchants who seem to be able to afford a trip to Santa Ponsa every year but when you have been working for a while, have been responsible with your money, I don't see a problem with going on holiday for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't mind if they suspended the 2 weeks payment, as I am on holiday and not looking for work during those 2 weeks.

people in your situation (and i've been there myself) are what the dole is for. Not as a permanent f*cking lifestyle choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

McGiver wrote: »
    This is true about the US, but not at all true about Continental Europe which has way stricter dole rules than Ireland. No way there's more crime there than in Ireland. And that would be true for generous welfare states like Sweden, Denmark and Norway as well.

It's about balance and fairness. I'm all for a robust safety net, but with rational and fair rules.

In Sweden you get 70% your last salary for 6 months when you get unemployed, provided you have contributed to the system for some time (I believe 1 year is a minimum). After 6 months you get a basic dole which is much lower, and that's people who never worked get too.

The absurdity in Ireland where JSA (essentially mostly parasites) equals to the JSB (working people who got unemployed) in value is nowhere seen anywhere in Europe and probably to whole world. It's absolutely unfair, wrong and it motivates parasitism and bad habits, instead being fair and motivating effort and merit.

Crime rates, especially street crime would be higher in Italy, Spain and Greece.
    In mentioning Sweden or Germany or The Netherlands, you would be talking about societies where people have genuine chances to improve their lot economically, much more so than The Borders, Midlands and West of Ireland, where even if you have qualifications, your opportunities and life chances in general are severely restricted!

If people are better off on the dole as with some under PUP rather than working for a lowest of the low sleeveen gobshytes exploiting them to the last, who is at fault?
    I'd say the gobshytes!

pablo128 wrote: »
    Guys, complain about the SW system all day long. But the people claiming it are not the core issue. If it wasn't as rewarding to be on SW, less people would be on it. It's no secret that 'asylum seekers' bypass many other countries to land here. There's a good reason for that.

Expect the numbers of economic migrants claiming to be asylum seekers to exponentially grow when the Dublin Agreement on this matter no longer will be enforced in The UK and under this government of all the luvlees.
    One things for sure they won't be placed in the likes of Foxrock, Blackrock or Montenotii while their application is being sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Heard of a young lad, was working part time before the lockdown.
    He is getting the 350 weekly, and saved up for a few weeks.
    Bought a Tag Heuer Monaco with the savings.
    Ive always wanted one myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Connacht15 wrote: »
    Sure in countries where you have no dole or very limited dole - USA, Spain and Italy, there's much higher level of street crime, people can be forced to steal to survive.
    Do you want that?
    South County Dublin may be different but there are vast stretches of the country where the SW system ensures local economies survive.
    I would know people who despite being able to, never did a formal day's work in their lives.
    Now at first glance they need a kick up their holes!
    But on reflection there's nothing happening economically where they live.
    Some never did a nixer!

I would rather force people like thats backs against the wall so they would go search for work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sure in countries where you have no dole or very limited dole - USA, Spain and Italy, there's much higher level of street crime, people can be forced to steal to survive.

Unemployment payments in the USA are higher than here.

You get 50% of former pay for 6 months.

However, they don't have any dole = JSA.

So after six months, there aren't any unemployment payments.

This is true about the US, but not at all true about Continental Europe which has way stricter dole rules than Ireland. No way there's more crime there than in Ireland. And that would be true for generous welfare states like Sweden, Denmark and Norway as well.

In Sweden you get 70% your last salary for 6 months when you get unemployed, provided you have contributed to the system for some time (I believe 1 year is a minimum). After 6 months you get a basic dole which is much lower, and that's people who never worked get too.

The absurdity in Ireland where JSA (essentially mostly parasites) equals to the JSB (working people who got unemployed) in value is nowhere seen anywhere in Europe and probably to whole world. It's absolutely unfair, wrong and it motivates parasitism and bad habits, instead being fair and motivating effort and merit.

Correct.

We need a much bigger difference between SI and SA.

SI = social insurance
    SA = social assistance

JBS is the same rate as JSA - crazy.

JSA get the Xmas bonus, JSB don't = double crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Do you want that?
    South County Dublin may be different but there are vast stretches of the country where the SW system ensures local economies survive.
    I would know people who despite being able to, never did a formal day's work in their lives.
    Now at first glance they need a kick up their holes!
    But on reflection there's nothing happening economically where they live.
    Some never did a nixer!

So you don't believe in government interference.... Unless that interference means giving you my tax Euros? 💶

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Geuze wrote:
    JBS is the same rate as JSA - crazy.

It is insane. Do you know the history of this? How did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Geuze wrote:
    You get 50% of former pay for 6 months.

So not very different from most of Europe, % of the last wage for several months.

It's just that in Europe we have basic dole after that.

But the absurdity of the dole being the same as unemployment payment in Ireland is truly unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

So not very different from most of Europe, % of the last wage for several months.

It's just that in Europe we have basic dole after that.

But the absurdity of the dole being the same as unemployment payment in Ireland is truly unique.

Keeps people voting hard left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

we've been told in work if we go abroad we wont be paid for the 14 day quarantine period. absolutely fair.

Why would you tell them?? Especially no w that you know you won't be paid??

It is insane. Do you know the history of this? How did it happen?

Years ago, UB was pay-related, and maybe UB could have been higher than UA, but that's a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Why would you tell them?? Especially no w that you know you won't be paid??

There's this virus sweeping the globe you see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So today, 112k saw their PUP payment reduced to €203 pw, essentially anyone who was working part-time prior to lock down.

There's an obvious push to end the PUP but I found out yesterday, something flabergasting which will make some dole bashers livid.

The wage subsidy scheme TWSS, is the preferred choice of the government, far more palatable from a statistical point of view. On the surface, sounds great but I was shocked to learn that companies availing of this scheme that have furloughed their staff are able, encouraged to retain those staff and claim upto €2800 pm. So whilst there is a large portion of businesses actually trading with staff working and wages being subsidised, its clear there are possibly 100's if not thousands of business's fully closed and yet claiming vasts sums of money to pay laid off staff. I do not begrudge the staff affected but there seems to be a lot of PUP recipient's bashing going on.

It seems extraordinary to me that PUP recipients are likely to be left high and dry soon whilst the government seems quite happy to subsidise an increasing amount of furloughed staff to the tune of thousands per month. I know 3 people personally who know they'll never be re hired, even been advised when TWSS ends, redundancies will be offered.

Those on pup had little options when their employers closed business's temporarily or for foreseeable future and its looking increasingly likely they will be thrown to the wolves soon whilst some companies, still closed with staff on the TWSS, can happily carry on, its outrageous. I wondered what's worse, the PUP @ €350 pw or thousands PM being paid by the state, I think the answer very clear. Madness, you wouldn't blame TWSS recipients wanting a holiday, what else to do with all the money being handed out. Again I don't begrudge anyone but there is blatant unfairness at play here.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Dempo1 wrote: »

The wage subsidy scheme TWSS, is the preferred choice of the government, far more palatable from a statistical point of view. On the surface, sounds great but I was shocked to learn that companies availing of this scheme that have furloughed their staff are able, encouraged to retain those staff and claim upto €2800 pm. So whilst there is a large portion of businesses actually trading with staff working and wages being subsidised, its clear there are possibly 100's if not thousands of business's fully closed and yet claiming vasts sums of money to pay laid off staff. I do not begrudge the staff affected but there seems to be a lot of PUP recipient's bashing going on.
    What you are describing there is fraud
    Those on the wage subsidy scheme, must be employed and paid that wage
    It seems extraordinary to me that PUP recipients are likely to be left high and dry soon whilst the government seems quite happy to subsidise an increasing amount of furloughed staff to the tune of thousands per month. I know 3 people personally who know they'll never be re hired, even been advised when TWSS ends, redundancies will be offered.

Those on pup had little options when their employers closed business's temporarily or for foreseeable future and its looking increasingly likely they will be thrown to the wolves soon whilst some companies, still closed with staff on the TWSS, can happily carry on, its outrageous. I wondered what's worse, the PUP @ €350 pw or thousands PM being paid by the state, I think the answer very clear. Madness, you wouldn't blame TWSS recipients wanting a holiday, what else to do with all the money being handed out. Again I don't begrudge anyone but there is blatant unfairness at play here.

The PUP is also a special subsidy for employees affected by temporary business closures
    Its not meant to be for permanent job losses
    We already have the highest if not the highest dole in the world without this sense of entitlement that it should be over 300 quid a week to multiple householders, why would anyone work?

I do agree that people should not be going on foreign holidays when on the pup, even if they saved for it
    Their circumstances have changed, they can't afford it now and it's not the states business or the taxes of those employed to be effectively paying for it The proper thing to do with companies that lay off people who were on wage subsidy would be to claw it back
    Won't happen though for fear of jeopardising remaining jobs
    That's understandable, if somewhat sub optimal

Mortelaro wrote: »

The PUP is also a special subsidy for employees affected by temporary business closures
    We already have the highest if not the highest dole in the world without this sense of entitlement that it should be over 300 quid a week to multiple householders, why would anyone work?

I do agree that people should not be going on foreign holidays when on the pup, even if they saved for it
    Their circumstances have changed, they can't afford it now and it's not the states business or the taxes of those employed to be effectively paying for it The proper thing to do with companies that lay off people who were on wage subsidy would be to claw it back

I am describing facts I'm afraid, as explained I know at least 3 people personally, 2 have even be told they'll likely be redundant when it ends, 2 in the travel industry, 1 in the hotel business. My concern is that the scheme seems to permit or encourage this. There are thousands in industries still closed, still on this scheme. I do not begrudge anyone a payment for a situation not of their doing but if we are to believe the statistics something is seriously a miss here

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Jayus let them enjoy a bit of a holiday.
    So what if they receive state help.its there few bob and they can spend it how and where they want.
    Them f%#kers in the airport,sometimes stand beside the lads scanning the boarding passes and have/can ask have you notified the departmant befour you leave in holidays.well you are supposed too tell them befour hand.
    The scanning of the boarding pass goes true the SW inspectors system and once your name pops up they know if you have told them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Mortelaro wrote: »

People on PUP are effectively still employed and are still paying taxes.

"We're all in this together" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

What holiday are they getting? Holiday from what?

agreed but we are actually NOT paying tax at the moment, that little surprise comes at the end of year when revenue will be contacting everyone that was on either PUP or TWSS

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Just came across this thread. I know someone who has moved to London after he began receiving the payment and is drawing it since. How could this be allowed happen?

Just came across this thread. I know someone who has moved to London after he began receiving the payment and is drawing it since. How could this be allowed happen?

Because the department is only verifying eligibility via the mygovid portal, basically electronically via email etc, with SW office opening hours minimised and social distancing in place they can't get people to sign as such for payments, also unless requested, payment is also transferred electronically. As disgraceful as it is, you could continue to draw payment from timbuk Q. This said, I do hope this persons travel arrangements will be reviewed in time.

• Advertisement

Go on holidays, don't inform the department - keep your dole.

Zero ways to police this.

Revenue and social have legal access to travel information across the entire eu. Naturally it requires then bring suspicious and looking though

Advertisement