Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole holidays curtailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Connacht15 wrote: »
    Were those that have had their PUP payments cut going to green list countries if so, there has to be very serious issues!

I see The Irish Council for Civil Liberties is quite correctly up in arms about this!

Those lunatics.

Pup payments are for those genuinely unable to work and seeking work. You arent seeking work lying on a lounger in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Those lunatics.

Pup payments are for those genuinely unable to work and seeking work. You arent seeking work lying on a lounger in Spain.
    Didn't hear you moaning for the last 20 years where it was perfectly fine to go on holiday if claiming JSA/JSB.

All these bandwagon jumpers taking great delight in people losing money for having the cheek to treat themselves to a holiday.

Sickening waste of tax payers money goes on everyday in this country but knock the little man on a poxy €350 per week for wanting to take a break.

"We Are All In This Together". Only when it suits it seems.

(and no, I'm not on any sort of DSP payment)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Lundstram wrote: »
    Didn't hear you moaning for the last 20 years where it was perfectly fine to go on holiday if claiming JSA/JSB.

All these bandwagon jumpers taking great delight in people losing money for having the cheek to treat themselves to a holiday.

Sickening waste of tax payers money goes on everyday in this country but knock the little man on a poxy €350 per week for wanting to take a break.

just for reference I have absolutely been giving out about this so feel entitled to continue.

Ja/jb has a specific exemption for taking a break, pup doesn't, it's pretty simple. Anyone going on holidays and continuing to take a pup payment is defrauding the state. If you don't like the rules don't accept the payment.

Ja/jb has a specific exemption for taking a break, pup doesn't, it's pretty simple. Anyone going on holidays and continuing to take a pup payment is defrauding the state. If you don't like the rules don't accept the payment.
    They changed the rules on travel after the payment came in. It has also been amended for JSA/JSB. Very sneaky.

Do a bit of research before spouting your bitter nonsense.

• Advertisement

They changed the rules on travel after the payment came in. It has also been amended for JSA/JSB. Very sneaky.

No they didnt, they are merely enforcing them now.

but nobody is supposed to be travelling unless its essential. why would the government make those guidelines and then fund the breaking of those guidelines.

nobody is stopping them going on holiday, just not on the states take.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If they can afford flights to costa Del wherever then they don’t need the welfare therefore cut it off and give the funds to someone more in need

but nobody is supposed to be travelling unless its essential. why would the government make those guidelines and then fund the breaking of those guidelines.

nobody is stopping them going on holiday, just not on the states take.
    There is no law stopping anyone from travelling. There is no law that says you must quarantine. They are reccomendations.

Do you not see something wrong with that?

It was fine this time last year but now your payment is stopped? Either ban travel or do nothing at all. Can't have it every way.

I can see some court cases over this and I hope it happens. Changing terms of DSP payments without informing anyone is sneaky and downright wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh this will be great fun, full of the red faced anger of ICCL and the likes of the hard lefties.

Honestly they haven't a leg to stand on anymore. We are in a global crisis, those who are working and can afford a break are mostly staying home, and those who are not working and stay at home for a break WON'T have their dole cut AFAIK. Is that correct?

So what's the problem? All for one and all that. Spend your money here. I know it doesn't go as far as the watery beer on the Costas etc. but morally we should all just pull together for this year and spend what we have in our own country. Just my opinion.

I suppose I need to duck down here and put me helmet on. Has SF made a statement on the matter lol. Can imagine.

About time IMO.

• Advertisement

the people complaining about the inspectors at the airport are the worst ones. Thos lads are there for a serious heads up , could you imagine the lines hopping on Joe Duffy if they were away for a month in Benidorm and the payments just didn't show up in the account 'how am I supposed to pay for this 3 star all inclusive'

There is no law stopping anyone from travelling. There is no law that says you must quarantine. They are reccomendations.

Do you not see something wrong with that?

It was fine this time last year but now your payment is stopped? Either ban travel or do nothing at all. Can't have it every way.

I can see some court cases over this and I hope it happens. Changing terms of DSP payments without informing anyone is sneaky and downright wrong.

This time last year we didn't have a pandemic.

This time last year we didn't have a pandemic.
    Oh you done some research at last. Gold star for you. Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What if you were unemployed before the pandemic and e203 week ? You can still go away for up to two weeks and still reveive your paymemt im sorry , arent they meant to be seeking work too?!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What of you were unemployed before the pandemic and e203 week ? You can still go away fir up to two weeks and still reveive your paymemt im sorry , arent they meant to be seeking work too?!

There was an exemption for ja/jb. That's been pulled if you travel outside the green list or against advice

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What of you were unemployed before the pandemic and e203 week ? You can still go away fir up to two weeks and still reveive your paymemt im sorry , arent they meant to be seeking work too?!

theyre allowed 2 weeks a year off from the job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

like i presume there was massive fraud on this since the Covid benefits were entirely self declared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

just for reference I have absolutely been giving out about this so feel entitled to continue.

I can vouch for Eric on that :)

like i presume there was massive fraud on this since the Covid benefits were entirely self declared

Supposedly. A lot of talk about people claiming it and heading home to collect a payment in their home country.

"Did" lol. Back to school for you in September. :P
    They're going back in August. Do your research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Lots wrong here.
    First off nobody should be leaving Ireland. Covid isn''t over.
    If you are on the dole they allow for holidays.
    If you are on covid payments you should be looking for work...unless you work in an industry that is not back up yet.

My issue would be once again uproar at literally the least well off people in society, outside the sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They're going back in August. Do your research.

OK, August then, sorry about that gap in my education!

Only having a bit of a laugh, it can get very heated in here sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bowie wrote: »
    Lots wrong here.
    If you are on covid payments you should be looking for work...unless you work in an industry that is not back up yet.

My issue would be once again uproar at literally the least well off people in society, outside the sick.

How did they allow it for , jsa jsb and not for covid payment , its outrageous !

Bowie wrote: »
    Lots wrong here.

Agree.

I bet the government are delighted with this. Takes the heat from the pay rises and the €300m that will be spent on the schools reopening. I love the way those numbers (the 104) were released yesterday evening. Prime time and very well thought out. At least their PR team are earning their crust.

Leo having his say today just hit it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I am still temporarily laid off because of covid-19, my employer hopes that they may be in a position to take me back in another month or two but no promises were made. I’m not so confident and foresee redundancy, so I’ve been trying very hard to get another job in the meantime.

I had 3 holidays booked for between March - September of this year. Two city breaks, and one bigger one, all three planned since last October.
    All were fully paid for by February of this year. I had spending money set aside too, and had even put aside money to get my hair/nails done before hand so I was fully sorted.
    I’ve been very lucky that I have been able to get a refund for 2 of them, and a voucher for the 3rd, so I’m not going to be out of pocket.

But if I was unable to cancel and stood to lose €€€€, I’m not sure what I’d do.
    I worked very hard and went without to save that money to afford those holidays, and I don’t see why I should lose out just because the government won’t make a firm decision on travel. Especially when I’m out of work through absolutely no fault of my own.

The last few months have been extremely tough on everyone and some people desperately need a break.
    My world became so small, I had no work to distract me, colleagues to talk to, and I obviously wasn’t seeing friends and family during lockdown. The days were and are absolutely endless.

Putting all people on the covid payment into the same category as long term dole scroungers is extremely unfair.
    This is my first time in my whole life claiming any form of social welfare and having paid years upon years worth of tax, I don’t feel bad for it.
    I feel like I should be able to take a holiday that I paid for out of my own hard earned wages long before covid-19 kicked off, when it’s clear there won’t be a job for me to go back to any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's all a bit too East German for my liking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Putting all people on the covid payment into the same category as long term dole scroungers is extremely unfair.

Why would you put everyone whose long-term unemployed into a category "Long term dole scroungers?"

You've told us your individual story as to why you feel it's unfair you are put into a category but then just decide to put others into another category.

We dont know anything about the individuals you've decided to put into that category - history, family, education, life issues. So why label them "long-term dole scroungers?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I am still temporarily laid off because of covid-19, my employer hopes that they may be in a position to take me back in another month or two but no promises were made. I’m not so confident and foresee redundancy, so I’ve been trying very hard to get another job in the meantime.

I had 3 holidays booked for between March - September of this year. Two city breaks, and one bigger one, all three planned since last October.
    All were fully paid for by February of this year. I had spending money set aside too, and had even put aside money to get my hair/nails done before hand so I was fully sorted.
    I’ve been very lucky that I have been able to get a refund for 2 of them, and a voucher for the 3rd, so I’m not going to be out of pocket.

But if I was unable to cancel and stood to lose €€€€, I’m not sure what I’d do.
    I worked very hard and went without to save that money to afford those holidays, and I don’t see why I should lose out just because the government won’t make a firm decision on travel. Especially when I’m out of work through absolutely no fault of my own.

The last few months have been extremely tough on everyone and some people desperately need a break.
    My world became so small, I had no work to distract me, colleagues to talk to, and I obviously wasn’t seeing friends and family during lockdown. The days were and are absolutely endless.

This is my first time in my whole life claiming any form of social welfare and having paid years upon years worth of tax, I don’t feel bad for it.
    I feel like I should be able to take a holiday that I paid for out of my own hard earned wages long before covid-19 kicked off, when it’s clear there won’t be a job for me to go back to any time soon.

I'd love to take my family on holiday. The money is there, no issues. The problem is there's this thing called coronavirus, a highly contagious virus, and it's rampant in all of the holiday hotspots.

But sure go ahead and book a foreign holiday for yourself. I'm sure you'll be fine. Be sure to stay well away from everyone for 2 weeks after you come back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If you've paid for a holiday you can not now go on, you have not lost any money.

If you don't go, you've still the same money in your bank.
    Youve lost out on the chance of a break.You haven't lost money.

As for lifer dole heads, the idea of a holiday is absurd. Get a job, then a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

This should only affect people who are claiming long term unemployment benefits not those out of work due to covid 19.

Advertisement