Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole holidays curtailed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

This should only affect people who are claiming long term unemployment benefits not those out of work due to covid 19.

Are long term unemployed more likely to catch covid 19?

The reason the payments are being cut is to dissuade people from travelling and spreading the virus. It's not because they don't like people on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'd love to take my family on holiday. The money is there, no issues. The problem is there's this thing called coronavirus, a highly contagious virus, and it's rampant in all of the holiday hotspots.

But sure go ahead and book a foreign holiday for yourself. I'm sure you'll be fine. Be sure to stay well away from everyone for 2 weeks after you come back please.

What are you even talking about? You’re arguing against points I never made. I’m going nowhere.
    I just resent the comments saying that those on the covid-19 payment shouldn’t be able to go on holidays using their payments when the majority of them paid for those holidays out of their own hard earned cash long before covid-19 was even a consideration here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I'd love to take my family on holiday. The money is there, no issues. The problem is there's this thing called coronavirus, a highly contagious virus, and it's rampant in all of the holiday hotspots.

But sure go ahead and book a foreign holiday for yourself. I'm sure you'll be fine. Be sure to stay well away from everyone for 2 weeks after you come back please.
    And here we have the classic fear monger. All, ALL, no less, of the holiday hotspots are rampant with Covid19.

Isolate yourself until 2022 if you're so concerned.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    What are you even talking about? You’re arguing against points I never made. I’m going nowhere.
    I just resent the comments saying that those on the covid-19 payment shouldn’t be able to go on holidays using their payments when the majority of them paid for those holidays out of their own hard earned cash long before covid-19 was even a consideration here.
    I get that, but it's extremely selfish for anyone to consider unnecessary foreign travel at the moment. Holidays included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Are people who are employed more likely to catch Covid19?

• Advertisement

Irishman80 wrote: »
    Why would you put everyone whose long-term unemployed into a category "Long term dole scroungers?"

You've told us your individual story as to why you feel it's unfair you are put into a category but then just decide to put others into another category.

We dont know anything about the individuals you've decided to put into that category - history, family, education, life issues. So why label them "long-term dole scroungers?'

That was the impression I got from this thread. People on the covid payment shouldn’t be able to go on holidays on the governments dime when in reality those holidays were paid for long before covid. Some of those people now stand to lose thousands of euro with no recourse.
    If the government want to dissuade people from travelling they need to ban non essential travel again, rather than leaving it to those who have already lost a lot to pick up the pieces.

As I said, I’m going nowhere. But if I stood to lose a few grand with no comeback I’m not sure what I’d do. I can see why some would be tempted to go.

I get that, but it's extremely selfish for anyone to consider unnecessary foreign travel at the moment. Holidays included.

I don’t disagree with you, but the government need to take a firm stance and ban non essential travel if they want to dissuade people from going on these holidays. While the flights are still going ahead, these people can’t get refunds. That’s why they’re going and that’s what the problem is.

Lundstram wrote: »
    And here we have the classic fear monger. All, ALL, no less, of the holiday hotspots are rampant with Covid19.

Isolate yourself until 2022 if you're so concerned.

I will. And I am concerned. I'm concerned I might catch it and bring it back to infect my family. I'm concerned I may catch it from the likes of yourself who clearly doesn't give a fcuk about people unnecessarily spreading it around the globe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

That was the impression I got from this thread. People on the covid payment shouldn’t be able to go on holidays on the governments dime when in reality those holidays were paid for long before covid. Some of those people now stand to lose thousands of euro with no recourse.
    If the government want to dissuade people from travelling they need to ban non essential travel again, rather than leaving it to those who have already lost a lot to pick up the pieces.

As I said, I’m going nowhere. But if I stood to lose a few grand with no comeback I’m not sure what I’d do. I can see why some would be tempted to go.

I wasn't criticising your opinion on whether certain people should/shouldn't be allowed to travel - just your use of the term "long-term dole scrounger" for people who are long-term unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The reason the payments are being cut is to dissuade people from travelling and spreading the virus. It's not because they don't like people on the dole.

Oh ok. In that case cut it for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I don’t disagree with you, but the government need to take a firm stance and ban non essential travel if they want to dissuade people from going on these holidays. While the flights are still going ahead, these people can’t get refunds. That’s why they’re going and that’s what the problem is.

You need to be in the country to get the payment. If people want to leave then they need to sign off and sign back on when they return.

There were over 100 Brazilians caught by inspectors recently too. None had signed off the payment and all were going home. The money would have still been paid into their accounts

Officers aren't at the airport just targeting Irish people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

id feel much safer in a half empty foreign holiday resort in a country with lower rates of coronavisus than a crowded Irish town thronged with people on "staycation" all drunk , how dare you and anyone for that matter judge anyone who goes on holiday, make me sick.:(

enjoy your overpriced hotel and the rain on your "staycation"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Then make a f*cking rule about it and stop flip-flopping and using back door tactics like this to enforce a rule you insist you're not actually making. That's why this pisses me off - I fully agree that nobody should be leaving the country on non-essential travel at the moment. So specifically close the border to those people and ban it through legislation, not through flip-flopping public statements and indirect means of "dissuasion" like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You need to be in the country to get the payment. If people want to leave then they need to sign off and sign back on when they return.

What about people claiming pensions and other welfare payments? Are they different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Idbatterim wrote: »
    How did they allow it for , jsa jsb and not for covid payment , its outrageous !

You'd inform them you were leaving the country in advance.
    I agree though I wouldn't support it.
    On the covid payments if you job is shut down I've no problem with them taking a holiday.
    However, nobody should be leaving Ireland.
    Lundstram wrote: »
    Agree.

I bet the government are delighted with this. Takes the heat from the pay rises and the €300m that will be spent on the schools reopening. I love the way those numbers (the 104) were released yesterday evening. Prime time and very well thought out. At least their PR team are earning their crust.

Leo having his say today just hit it home.

They've some neck they really do. They've zero moral authority to be looking down on anyone.

Data Commissioner involved now. I'd say they're looking for scapegoats now in MMs office.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

By anybody going on unnecessary foreign , they are likely to cause more trouble for the underpaid front line workers . who probably cannot afford either the time or the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Data Commissioner involved now. I'd say they're looking for scapegoats now in MMs office.

Why would they not have been consulted first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d say they’ll tell the data commissioner to kindly eff off and don’t be bothering the adults

2120 cases in Spain today.

Anyone going there and coming back is risking Irish people's lives and should be held responsible.

Why would they not have been consulted first?

Probably because it was a implemented by gobsh1tes.

Probably because it was a implemented by gobsh1tes.

Deasp are paranoid about gdpr, it's likely this isn't a breech or they are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

2120 cases in Spain today.

Anyone going there and coming back is risking Irish people's lives and should be held responsible.

The government is allowing travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

These are exceptional times. I would be happy for anyone to take my details, don't know what the effin issue is.

Could someone explain?

The government wont save you. The government didn't save all of those grandparents in nursing homes

Eamonn Ryan wont come down your chimney with a vaccine.

The government have no control. They react. But when there are so many selfish people out there sometimes it would be better to take the every man for himself attitude.

Picture this. Every second or so day the record for daily case increase is broken. Its is spiralling

Yes, but typically people like you think that is a free for all.

I really wish people would just look at things and say why? Rather than look at things and say why not.

Not you, but honestly. Time for a wake up call now.

The Data Protection thing should be shelved if anyone decides to just go wherever on a jolly and come back and infect us all.

Sick of this shyte, sorry now. So entitled or they don't care.

It is just for this season FGS. But no, I'm going and that's that because I can and am entitled. Honestly.

• Advertisement

The Data Protection thing should be shelved if anyone decides to just go wherever on a jolly and come back and infect us all.

Sick of this shyte, sorry now. So entitled or they don't care.

It is just for this season FGS. But no, I'm going and that's that because I can and am entitled. Honestly.

What about my money. I spent money. It's my money.
    Pathetic

Advertisement