Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole holidays curtailed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What about my money. I spent money. It's my money.
    Pathetic

Well it probably was yours and my money lol. And we haven't got a voice at all. lol. True though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

jonnny68 wrote: »
    id feel much safer in a half empty foreign holiday resort in a country with lower rates of coronavisus than a crowded Irish town thronged with people on "staycation" all drunk , how dare you and anyone for that matter judge anyone who goes on holiday, make me sick.:(

enjoy your overpriced hotel and the rain on your "staycation"

I'm very lucky my folks have a holiday home in Ireland. I'll be spending this weekend there with my family. For free. I can't do much about the rain though. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

Those lunatics.

Pup payments are for those genuinely unable to work and seeking work. You arent seeking work lying on a lounger in Spain.

You could be networking!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    You'd inform them you were leaving the country in advance.
    I agree though I wouldn't support it.
    On the covid payments if you job is shut down I've no problem with them taking a holiday.
    However, nobody should be leaving Ireland.

They've some neck they really do. They've zero moral authority to be looking down on anyone.

If a nurse, civil servant, teacher or guard goes on holidays, they have to quarantine on their own time, most likely with a loss of money because it will be unpaid because they have used their leave for the holiday part. Yet, you are here defending the social welfare recipients, says it all about the left and the way that they have abandoned workers to support the non-workers and the never-workers.

Government are in serious 'woops we spent too much, get as much back as we can' mode. They won't ban travel, cos then they'd be liable for refunds. They give a payment to people cos they closed your workplace, but now covid's gone on too long so they've changed the terms and didn't tell you, so they could publicly embarrass you in an airport.

They invented a stimulus package that does nothing to help anyone, and all at the same time, gave themselves a bonus for working so hard (presumably).

When you signed up for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment, you didn't have to go looking for a job. That was never the case. The official advice was that at some stage in the future, if it looked like your job was gone, you need to fill out the paperwork to claim a jobseeker's payment. There was no rule against travel, anywhere.

If the government don't have the balls to be firm and put their foot down and outright ban travel, then they need to go and spend their time productively at the airport and work on checks/testing etc. rather than swiping in real dictatorship style at the low hanging fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

jonnny68 wrote: »
    id feel much safer in a half empty foreign holiday resort in a country with lower rates of coronavisus than a crowded Irish town thronged with people on "staycation" all drunk , how dare you and anyone for that matter judge anyone who goes on holiday, make me sick.:(

enjoy your overpriced hotel and the rain on your "staycation"

It's not really fair on the people in that place with the lower rate then, is it?
    This is a world problem and the best way to combat it is to compartmentalise things and eradicate it zone by zone. Nobody from Ireland should be taking it to the Isle of Mann or New Zealand for instance.

kowloon wrote: »
    It's not really fair on the people in that place with the lower rate then, is it?
    This is a world problem and the best way to combat it is to compartmentalise things and eradicate it zone by zone. Nobody from Ireland should be taking it to the Isle of Mann or New Zealand for instance.

But, but, but, it’s my holiday and I deserve it and am entitled to it, anyways those foreigners love us Irish, think we’re great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    If a nurse, civil servant, teacher or guard goes on holidays, they have to quarantine on their own time, most likely with a loss of money because it will be unpaid because they have used their leave for the holiday part. Yet, you are here defending the social welfare recipients, says it all about the left and the way that they have abandoned workers to support the non-workers and the never-workers.

I stated the reality of it. They are allowed.
    I stated I didn't support it.
    I stated nobody should be leaving Ireland.
    You are desperate to attack even when theres nothing to attack. You created your own narrative to get het up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

These are exceptional times. I would be happy for anyone to take my details, don't know what the effin issue is.

Could someone explain?

The issue is misleading, flip-flopping statements by government combined with sudden rule changes to indirectly enforce unspoken rules the government refuse to spell out - and then, once public controversy erupts, attempting to quietly edit websites and documentation relating to these payments in the apparent hope that nobody would notice.

Before I continue, let me reiterate that I agree with what people here are saying: Nobody should be travelling internationally at the moment unless it's absolutely unavoidable. End of story.

Having said that:

This lack of clear communication on both of these issues (travel and the payment criteria) are absolutely unacceptable and unforgivable in the current circumstances. How anyone can try to sidestep this or justify it is utterly beyond me. The government's advice regarding travel has been a travesty of U-turns and flip-flops, and attempting to mislead or gaslight the general public by editing websites with the obvious intention to claim that these rules have always existed and that members the public simply didn't read them when applying for the emergency payment is utterly outrageous and scandalous on many levels.

Don't even get me started on the fact that they've decided to target those in receipt of emergency social welfare specifically, while continuing to make excuses for not closing the borders to incoming travellers from particularly COVID-stricken nations such as the United States.

No matter where one stands on the issues of social welfare, foreign travel and border control during this crisis, can we all agree that everyone should be angered and indeed alarmed by the obvious lack of clear, decisive policymaking and the attempts to "ret-con" policies which are clearly being made up as we go along, to present them as if they've always been government policy by sneakily editing them into previously published government documents on a Sunday afternoon, without any notice or announcement that these documents have been altered since their original publication many months ago?

It shouldn't matter where one stands on any of the specific issues involved. The rampant indecision is alarming, and the attempts to gaslight the public by misleadingly editing documents without notice of such editing is malevolent and unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only heard about this after listening to a bit of Liveline today

Am I right in understanding that this change was never announced to anyone - they just changed the rules? No one knows where they are getting the information bar Leo saying it's coming from the DAA (think I heard that right on the news or something) even tho the DAA are saying they are not giving any such information

Sounds a bit like a clusterf*ck again for this government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What if you were unemployed before the pandemic and e203 week ? You can still go away for up to two weeks and still reveive your paymemt im sorry , arent they meant to be seeking work too?!
    Warra bow de homeless Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

blanch152 wrote: »
    But, but, but, it’s my holiday and I deserve it and am entitled to it, anyways those foreigners love us Irish, think we’re great craic.
    Best supporters in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They should have just cut the money to the 200, not completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Edgware wrote: »
    Best supporters in the world

Straight to the nearest Irish bar. Is the football on? Do ya have pork sausages? 17 sambucas plez

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If you've paid for a holiday you can not now go on, you have not lost any money.

If you don't go, you've still the same money in your bank.
    Youve lost out on the chance of a break.You haven't lost money.

As for lifer dole heads, the idea of a holiday is absurd. Get a job, then a holiday.

That makes zero sense. If you have paid for the holiday and you cant go on it then you have lost money.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

pablo128 wrote: »
    Are long term unemployed more likely to catch covid 19?

The reason the payments are being cut is to dissuade people from travelling and spreading the virus. It's not because they don't like people on the dole.

Its loads of people on this thread that dont like people on the dole.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its loads of people on this thread that dont like people on the dole.

On this thread!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    On this thread!

Yes. Did you miss it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Isn't this tantamount to the government essentially trying to give advisory policy a quasi legal status by attaching a penalty? That goes against the very nature of what advisory polices are, as they aren't meant to have any penalties attached to them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Gardai and social welfare representatives stopped over 250 people mostly Brazilians who were leaving the but didn't sign off the payment.
    Thieves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Anyone believing a single word coming out of this government on this issue is deluded.

Firstly the myth that everyone is still on €350 PUP payment is a nonsense.

Leo made a fool of himself over the weekend, making statements that were patently incorrect. There was a sneaky ministerial decision to stop SW and PUP recipients going on holidays, it was a ministerial order, not legislation voted on by the Dail and zero announcements made about it. Furthermore someone was instructed to updated various gov websites over the weekend with this info to include yet another new clause re PUP, "recepients must be looking for work", of course they were caught out when the irish times had records of previous site info and the fact they forgot to update the irish language versions.

Serious questions are now being raised about how info at airports was gained and in typical cynical manner the gov release a statement late last night claiming most of those who's payment was stopped we're leaving permanently, absolute more lies.

Something stinks with this entire discriminatory debacle.

It's not about safe travel, it's not about claimants acting the maggot it's about an attempt to demonise those on PUP, plain and simple. If they were so concerned, why less than a week ago did they agree to continue it? Was it to deflect from the outrageous ministerial pay rises, another debacle that's blown up in their faces.

They can moan all they like, theyve committed to April for the payment albeit reducing in amounts.

A shambolic and offensive campaign and thankfully they've been caught out.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Yes. Did you miss it.

just this thread!

Hmmmmmm

The constitutionality of it being questioned. Looks like complete incompetence then.

https://twitter.com/WilliamQuill/status/1287692553572233219?s=19

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hmmmmmm

The constitutionality of it being questioned. Looks like complete incompetence then.

It wasn't even brought to Cabinet according to our new Minister for Education on Morning Ireland.

Solo run by Heather Humphries and FG perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Hmmmmmm

https://twitter.com/WilliamQuill/status/1287692558676701185

This is what I was getting at. It's the biggest issue here. I can't see any good judge or judges tolerating this standard, as it's an insult to the law.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It wasn't even brought to Cabinet according to our new Minister for Education on Morning Ireland.

Solo run by Heather Humphries and FG perhaps?

Exactly, a sneaky underhanded ministerial order, egged on by Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

TomTomTim wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/WilliamQuill/status/1287692558676701185

This is what I was getting at. It's the biggest issue here. I can't see any good judge or judges tolerating this standard, as it's an insult to the law.

The travel advisory is irrelevant and that lad hasnt a clue. You must be in the state to get pup. Many of our welfare payments have this clause.

dennispenn wrote: »
    i know a lad who went to latvia on 16/3/20 (i think it was this date) and only returned two weeks ago. full 350 payment while spending his time there. wonder how many tens of thousands did similar? absolute pisstake

Missing the point completely, yes not excuse for anyone acting the maggot but this debacle about discrimination of those on pup.

Government getting slaughtered on various radio stations this morning, loving it....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    They should have just cut the money to the 200, not completely

200 until a confirmation check done, then zero or full restoration

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Anyone believing a single word coming out of this government on this issue is deluded.

Firstly the myth that everyone is still on €350 PUP payment is a nonsense.

Leo made a fool of himself over the weekend, making statements that were patently incorrect. There was a sneaky ministerial decision to stop SW and PUP recipients going on holidays, it was a ministerial order, not legislation voted on by the Dail and zero announcements made about it. Furthermore someone was instructed to updated various gov websites over the weekend with this info to include yet another new clause re PUP, "recepients must be looking for work", of course they were caught out when the irish times had records of previous site info and the fact they forgot to update the irish language versions.

Serious questions are now being raised about how info at airports was gained and in typical cynical manner the gov release a statement late last night claiming most of those who's payment was stopped we're leaving permanently, absolute more lies.

Something stinks with this entire discriminatory debacle.

It's not about safe travel, it's not about claimants acting the maggot it's about an attempt to demonise those on PUP, plain and simple. If they were so concerned, why less than a week ago did they agree to continue it? Was it to deflect from the outrageous ministerial pay rises, another debacle that's blown up in their faces.

They can moan all they like, theyve committed to April for the payment albeit reducing in amounts.

A shambolic and offensive campaign and thankfully they've been caught out.

Public servants have also been stopped going on holidays as well, because they have been told that they need to take unpaid leave for the quarantine period which will cost them money.

It is harsh but correct from a public health point of view. I have no sympathy for the bleating of the entitlement class.

Advertisement