Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service Stations - M8 Cork to Dublin

Options
  • 04-07-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

Also posted in the Dublin forum, but think it might be better here. Driving up from Cork to Dublin via the M8, and wondered if there are any service stations along the motorway without driving miles out of the way!

Any help appreciated! TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭con747

Services Location Operator Rating
    Manor Stone M8 at J3 Circle K 3 star
    Cashel M8 at J8 Circle K 3 star
    Fermoy M8 at J14 Circle K 4 star

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Hey all!

Also posted in the Dublin forum, but think it might be better here. Driving up from Cork to Dublin via the M8, and wondered if there are any service stations along the motorway without driving miles out of the way!

Any help appreciated! TIA :)

There are offline services at Portlaoise Junction 17 M7, Junction 3 M8, Junction 8 at Cashel M8, and junction 14 at Fermoy. Con got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

On my way to Dubland I normally stop in Jct 14 Fermoy, either turn left for the Amber or go right for the McD

Then further on I stop on the next Jct 14 (M7) Mayfield - (Not Cork Mayfield !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I'd take Junction 3 Manorstone over Junction 14 Mayfield (Not Cork) any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I like the fermoy stop - 2 good options both very new.

• Advertisement

I'd take Junction 3 Manorstone over Junction 14 Mayfield (Not Cork) any day.

Big time. Mayfield is always absolutely rammed.

The one near the junction is handy at Fermoy but the food is a lot nicer in Hillbilly’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Not a big fan of the mega petrol stations so I usually just pop in to urlingford. Old school!!

RINO87 wrote: »
    Not a big fan of the mega petrol stations so I usually just pop in to urlingford. Old school!!

Damn! I haven’t stopped there since I drove the Aircoach.

Big time. Mayfield is always absolutely rammed.

The one near the junction is handy at Fermoy but the food is a lot nicer in Hillbilly’s.

I’ve been weary of Amber since the incident with the Macroom drivers.

I’ve been weary of Amber since the incident with the Macroom drivers.

Was there bad fuel or something? I can only do Texaco or Maxol because of my fuel card so I’ll swing into Cahir anyway if I’m doing Dublin to Cork. That shop they did up recently there is decent enough too.

• Advertisement

Was there bad fuel or something? I can only do Texaco or Maxol because of my fuel card so I’ll swing into Cahir anyway if I’m doing Dublin to Cork. That shop they did up recently there is decent enough too.

I wish!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/witness-tells-fermoy-murder-trial-of-seeing-two-men-being-beaten-1.3880288?mode=amp

Found not guilty though,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

There looks to be a new service station being built on the side of the motorway at Watergrasshill. No idea when it'll be online or even if it IS a service station but it'd be handy if so.

I know Circle K had plans for an online service station at junction 14 in Cork.

That’s there already (the aforementioned Fermoy one) but it’s not an online one.

That’s there already (the aforementioned Fermoy one) but it’s not an online one.

Yeah i know the one, apparently this was an additional one. I can’t locate the article.

Yeah i know the one, apparently this was an additional one. I can’t locate the article.

Ah right sorry. It would seem pointless but then again look at what PatMac got the go ahead for in Laois, right on top of the existing Applegreen/Midway.

Ah right sorry. It would seem pointless but then again look at what PatMac got the go ahead for in Laois, right on top of the existing Applegreen/Midway.

Midway is a fine job in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Manor Stone service station is my ideal stop point on that drive. Good few jobs I've had involved weekly trips from Cork to Dublin. It's a nice half way spot, good choice of food and not crazy busy you'd be there for an age waiting for food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There’s a new Obama Plaza spec job nearly complete in Port Laoise. Across the road from the Midway Service Area. Will be a brilliant addition to the road.

The Amber in Fermoy is fantastic but it’s a bit close to Cork to be of use. It’s very handy on a journey to Limerick though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Had to do Cork-Bray and back in one day recently , stopped at both Manorstone on the way back and Mayfield on the way up.

My wife is pregnant so would need the toilet break and chance to stretch the legs each time.

Mayfield was super busy for food but the WCs were spotless and well kept , the shop side of it was quiet enough and you would be in and out quickly.

Manorstone whilst much quieter the WCs were not kept well , in this day and age with all the extra precautions for Covid 19 and handwashing etc the WCs should be a top priority in any good station.

On previous trips to Kilkenny and Carlow i have stopped at Fermoy on the M8 and Paulstown on the M9 and both were well kept.

I wont be stopping at manorstone again.

I won’t again myself at the weekend anyway, even if it’s not for the toilet (they are fairly bad). Stopped in it yesterday and it was absolutely rammed. Back car park (back of shop closest to M8) completely full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Manorstone whilst much quieter the WCs were not kept well , in this day and age with all the extra precautions for Covid 19 and handwashing etc the WCs should be a top priority in any good station.

Seriously?? I would complain or report them. Especially now, this is not on! YUK!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Seriously?? I would complain or report them. Especially now, this is not on! YUK!!!:mad::mad::mad:

They’re tiny (the men’s anyway) so there’s no a big pile they can do with them. They tend to be fairly messy though too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

marno21 wrote: »
    The Amber in Fermoy is fantastic but it’s a bit close to Cork to be of use. It’s very handy on a journey to Limerick though
    It's handy if you are coming from West Cork (Clonakilty etc) too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

jd wrote: »
    It's handy if you are coming from West Cork (Clonakilty etc) too

I think a lot of us forget that about half of a Bantry - Dublin journey takes place within Cork!

Advertisement