Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling Ragwort

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

_Brian wrote: »
    But a fork only has two prongs!

Which means it goes into the soil and moves backwards and forwards really easy, so loosening the soil with minimal effort.

But otherwise your maths is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

emaherx wrote: »
    I ordered that one, but a blue one arrived. Friend of mine ordered and he got a pink one, don't think they are too bothered about the colour.

You don't twist, it's got a big heel that you lever the weed out with.

You have to specifically request the pink one.

I think your friend might just be hiding his love of pink

:pac:

Serious answer. I've used an old buckrake tooth to loosen the roots of stubborn ones before. I'd imagine that little purpose-built yoke is handier...but it did the job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I put in a couple of hours on Friday and cleared a field. They were a light enough crop. 13 ration bags full.
    Topped on Saturday. I'd a wonderful crop of thistles in one area in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Please don't do this, you'll permanently poison that patch of ground.

5 litres of white
    vinegar add a cup of salt, punch a few holes in the cap and squirt it on any weed.

Almost instant result as in they'll be dead the next day but you'll see results after a few hours. A small bit of washing up liquid into the mix will help it cling if there's a chance of a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Must have been national ragworth pulling weekend or something, we pulled a trailer load yesterday too. The auld lad was designing a 3 tooth fork for getting them up and all, instead of the garden fork we were using. I will have to break it to him gently about it being on the market already..:)
    Definitely seems to be important to get all the root out, 4 or 5 years at it now but getting there.Stubborn feckers and the cows leave a lot of grass around them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mentioned on some other Farming thread here, was a Lazy dog, so went and ordered one. It's very good.
    Had a field of ragwort sprayed four years ago. Ragwort disappeared and I've mowed silage off it each year. This year there all back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Water John wrote: »
    Mentioned on some other Farming thread here, was a Lazy dog, so went and ordered one. It's very good.
    Had a field of ragwort sprayed four years ago. Ragwort disappeared and I've mowed silage off it each year. This year there all back.

Where did you purchase it?

https://lazydogtools.co.uk/pulling-docks-using-lazy-dog/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Is this ragworth?

Yeah it was from them, I got it, Lime.

Not sure that is ragwort, South Westerly, the flower bulb looks diff. I'll check mine tomorrow, plenty specimens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Is this ragworth?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

My farm was spotless last year. Builder a few fields away dug up the ground for future development. All nearby fields full of ragweed again.

No matter how much you spray and pull ragweed seeds will always come in through the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Is this ragworth?

It may be Oxford/Marsh ragwort. The leaves of the marsh ragwort are more slender than the field ragwort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭blackbox

Ragwort and Ragweed are two different things.

The yellow flowered plant common in Ireland is Ragwort.

Ragweed comes from America.

Google.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Yes

Thanks. I pulled it from the root and binned it.

Tomjim wrote: »
    Every year I pull ragwort before it goes to seed, however the ragwort is not going away

One problem is that 50% of the ragwort breaks at the butt and so I am not getting all the roots.

My question is that I thought that ragwort would die off after 2 years and would not come back even where I am not pulling the roots up. Is this correct?
    It could be your neighbour not dealing with it on their side of the fence / ditch?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Land a bit softer now so easier to pull...Have to get the roots.. Mostly find them near to neighbour land who is .... careless

SAXA wrote: »
    Land a bit softer now so easier to pull...Have to get the roots.. Mostly find them near to neighbour land who is .... careless
    In my experience if the neighbour has loads in the field next door then the seeds will blow in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I see one of our neighbours has several field's infested with it ( not adjoining our property thankfully)

Another neighbour ( who is adjoining )said it's down to insufficient fertiliser application, taking too much silage off field's and not reseeding enough?

Guy described the land as" completely raped"

I've two acres and nine sheep so never a problem

Yeah SW agree your pic is a ragwort.
    Def ragwort growing has nothing to do with fertiliser or ph.

Saw this thread, saw it in the veg garden and pulled it before it seeded. Straight into the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

so its not a case of undernourishment ?

No, and as I say, I sprayed them 4 years ago. Cut silage each year since, but they've returned with a fury this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Pulled out the aul rag fork this evening, have to say I'm very impressed with it. Was only at it for an hour or so pulled a nice amount of them.

Pulled out the aul rag fork this evening, have to say I'm very impressed with it. Was only at it for an hour or so pulled a nice amount of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

does it get the roots up or does it snap

Tomjim wrote: »
    does it get the roots up or does it snap

Roots and all come up, you can see roots in the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

No big rough ragwort here but marsh ragwort, is that as bad? Doesn't look as bad anyway, can be mistaken for buttercups unless you look closely :pac:

Less dangerous but don't know how toxic it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Less dangerous but don't know how toxic it might be.

I spent an hour picking the neighbours ragwort by the boundary wall, he tops everything else......... better to pick than let the seeds blow into mine:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

endainoz wrote: »

Have you tried it on thistles. Thistles are killing me here. Constant battle every year. Ragwort is long gone.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement