Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of hedge clippings (a lot of them)

Options
  • 05-07-2020 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My parents have a rural bungalow, they got their leylandii hedge clipped recently and a couple of feet cut off the top of them.
    They didn’t plan on how to get rid of the cuttings, I’d estimate that they’ve about 4 large skipfuls piled up from the work.
    Any idea how much it would be to have someone come and chip these up and take them away?

Thanks in advance

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Where are they located?
    A tree surgeon to mulch them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Thanks SouthWesterly, I see a few people offering the service alright.

Any idea what it would cost? Located near Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

look up your local civic amenity site they often have a bin for green waste, also there is a place near maynooth if you have access to transport

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

To reduce costs you can prune the branches off the larger branches and then run over them multiple times with your mower, leylandii greens pretty much disappear when mulched.
    You are then "only" left with the larger, bare branches which can be cut and put in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

GreeBo wrote: »
    To reduce costs you can prune the branches off the larger branches and then run over them multiple times with your mower, leylandii greens pretty much disappear when mulched.
    You are then "only" left with the larger, bare branches which can be cut and put in the boot.
    When mulched like this with a chipper or mower and mixed with grass cuttings and other green waste they make a good ericaceous compost for acid loving plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Some great info there folks. Thanks a lot. I'll let Dad know to sharpen the hatchet and rev up the mower!

Once they are all stripped back, I'd be surprised if there was more than one big trailer for the recycling centre.

Advertisement