Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seat post stuck

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One of the guys in the ballymun rediscovery place was attempting to build a seatpost removal puller. Not sure how far he got with it as it was around Jan/Feb I was in touch with then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

I've been that cowboy. Tried everything before trying to "gently" cut it out with a reciprocating saw. Cracked the top of the seat tube with the vibrations, then lost the rag completely and went to town on it :)

That looks like it was immensely satisfying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I had good success once upon a time by removing the saddle, clamping in a big long breaker bar in its place with the saddle clamp and getting a bit of twist going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

veetwin wrote: »
    Ok, 5 days later and the saga continues. I gave it two good soaks of descaler two days running. Clamped the saddle in a vice and eventually managed to turn it slightly but still unable to remove it. Saddle at this stage is wrecked.

Next up attacked with the mini grinder then a hacksaw blade and more penetrating oil and eventually a hammer and screwdriver. Parts still remain. Myself and a neighbour were still at it at 10pm last night and eventually gave up the ghost. Will conduct the final assault after work this evening. If this leads to failure the mini grinder will be deployed again and the bike will end up in bits in the bin

If you managed to turn the seatpost then I’d Now remove the saddle and try hammering it into the seat tube slightly to get it moving. If that’s successful then it should be possible to remove it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I've been that cowboy. Tried everything before trying to "gently" cut it out with a reciprocating saw. Cracked the top of the seat tube with the vibrations, then lost the rag completely and went to town on it :)

I see even after all the cutting some of the seatpost is still in the frame!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

letape wrote: »
    I see even after all the cutting some of the seatpost is still in the frame!!

Yep, some you win....some...

Advertisement