Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what plant is this?

Options
  • 05-07-2020 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

hi all,

I bought this plant in a plant shop and I never registered the name in my head... Unfortunately the shop has not reopened since the lockdown so I cannot go and ask them what i bought...

It has a lovely big think tropical trunk

any ideas would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

Looks like a young Monstera, Swiss cheese plant. The thick coconut fibre cylinder is a support stake I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Looks like a young Monstera, Swiss cheese plant. The thick coconut fibre cylinder is a support stake I think.

Thanks blaris. I think you are right!

Do you think the plant could survive outdoors in winter in a sheltered area?

Cheers!

If it survived, that's about all it would do. If you have a closed porch, that would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Some type of philodendron

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Some type of philodendron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

It’s definitely not a Monstera. It is a philodendron and my best guest would be philodendron scandens. Perhaps you know this already but the moss pole should be kept moist for the plant to climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Had a closer look by zooming in :)

I can’t tell if it’s speckled sunlight on the leaves or if there are splashes of yellow colouring on the leaves. If it is the latter then I think this plant is epipremnum aureum also known by common names Golden Pothos or Devil’s Ivy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Another vote for Devils Ivy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

mikelata wrote: »
    Thanks blaris. I think you are right!

Do you think the plant could survive outdoors in winter in a sheltered area?

Cheers!

I sincerely doubt it would, I had a philodendron outside in a sheltered area one night when the temperature dropped below 10°C and ALL the leaves were black in the morning, it's taken me years to get them to recover, I thought I'd lost the plants altogether.

Advertisement