Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster flags on Shannon Bridge

• 05-07-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

I noticed that the Munster flags on the Shannon Bridge are in tatters.

There's about twenty flags in various states of disrepair for months now.

It's a poor reflection of the club and the city. I know there's a major national crisis, but the condition of the flags can't have escaped the attention of Munster Rugby and the fans.

Anyone know if they are they flown by the Council or Munster Rugby?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

Bandwagon well over ! Hurling in 2018 & 2019 need new pursuit!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They're hung by the council. Nothing to do with Munster. This time of year they'd normally have Pride or Limerick GAA flags up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Derbhoy wrote: »
    Bandwagon well over ! Hurling in 2018 & 2019 need new pursuit!

Ha.!
    You ain’t seen nothing yet pal.
    Munster Rugby will be a powerhouse of European Rugby once more that will surpass their dominance of the noughties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

It's a poor reflection of the club and the city. I know there's a major national crisis, but the condition of the flags can't have escaped the attention of Munster Rugby and the fans.

What did the council say when you contacted them about the state of the flags?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

The bridge needs a total refurb, the flags should go and the colours should be provided by lighting, it could be the bridge of light

Kurilpa Bridge Brisbane is a great example

http://www.fractalthoughts.com/blog/?attachment_id=477

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

I happened to notice this the other day as I was walking across. They should just take them down if they're not going to replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    I happened to notice this the other day as I was walking across. They should just take them down if they're not going to replace them.

Heard they are replacing them with South African flags shortly as all the key players now are from that neck of the woods...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Not just Munster flags.

Plenty of shoddy/ripped/dirty tricolours at buildings around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

phog wrote: »
    What did the council say when you contacted them about the state of the flags?

Where did the OP state they he/she contacted the Council in relation to the flags ???

Or did you just intend to ask the OP if they had considered contacting the Council ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Are the flags flied on the church in O'Connell street? The priest there flew my Global Country of World Peace flag there years ago. Great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Going back years now but I worked in a hotel and you'd have a thousand jobs to do and if you forgot to take down the flags in the evening a taxi driver would call and say "this is your last warning" because we found out that a taxi driver had made multiple complaints to the Dublin head office because our disrespectful use of the Irish flag. Most hotels workers are young, badly paid with too much to do during their shift, a flag tends to be last thing to do.

Didn't always remember to take down the flag(s) at Sundown.

Berty wrote: »
    Going back years now but I worked in a hotel and you'd have a thousand jobs to do and if you forgot to take down the flags in the evening a taxi driver would call and say "this is your last warning" because we found out that a taxi driver had made multiple complaints to the Dublin head office because our disrespectful use of the Irish flag. Most hotels workers are young, badly paid with too much to do during their shift, a flag tends to be last thing to do.

Didn't always remember to take down the flag(s) at Sundown.

Was it any random taxi driver or the same guy each time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was it any random taxi driver or the same guy each time?

Same guy used to make the formal written complaints anyway, registered letters to head office. Never knew who the driver was so shall assume that it was the same guy every time.

Berty wrote: »
    Same guy used to make the formal written complaints anyway, registered letters to head office. Never knew who the driver was so shall assume that it was the same guy every time.

Probably one of the guys that sold the comics outside Ferguson pharmacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Someone with flag power is reading this thread.... I'm on the bridge now and they're replacing the flags as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Someone with flag power is reading this thread.... I'm on the bridge now and they're replacing the flags as I type.

Frankie Daly posted on FB that he asked to remove the Munster flags for Limerick flags to boost morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

Frankie Daly posted on FB that he asked to remove the Munster flags for Limerick flags to boost morale.

Looking forward to seeing the obligatory pose and point picture from Frankie then. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Hi Frankie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Looking forward to seeing the obligatory pose and point picture from Frankie then. :P

He did one better, had a picture of him on the lift holding the flags... Though it seems to be gone now as someone asked why wasn't he wearing a safety harness while using the lift when he posted it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

New Limerick flags are up now and have to say they really do brighten up the place! Thank you mysterious boards user with flag power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

New Limerick flags are up now and have to say they really do brighten up the place! Thank you mysterious boards user with flag power.

Are those odd little inspirational signs on Thomond bridge new as well or have I just not noticed them before

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Are those odd little inspirational signs on Thomond bridge new as well or have I just not noticed them before

They’re up 5 years.

Video from the launch:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vtc4WtIrly0

Advertisement