Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade?

Options
  • 05-07-2020 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Hi all back for advice.
    I got help with picking some bits in this post. Has done all i need with no problems.
    Recently upgraded the graphics card to GTX1660 so i am thinking of a processor/ram maybe new motherboard as well to see me through another few years.
    Multi purpose use. gaming at 1080p although toying with the idea of a twin monitor setup.
    Budget about 250 euro.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ryzen 3300X / 2600 with a decent B450 mATX Mobo and 8 - 16GB 3200 RAM, budget permitting. I'd suggest going ultrawide rather than two monitors for gaming. Specifically a 29" 2560 x 1080.

Edit: Make sure the B450 selected runs with Ryzen 3000 if you go the 3300X route. 2600 should work with all B450's out of the box so another reason to consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Are you still running a G4560?? Modern games would run awful on that, motherboard and processor upgrade should've taken top priority over the 1660!

It's basically a dual core i3 from 2013 repackaged. Personally I would take Ryzen 2600 over 3300X, more cores and threads.

The 3300x is a poor long term buy. Faster core speeds but with new consoles being 8 core 16 thread, it will become obsolete far quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭sundodger5

To be fair to it i am not looking at huge FPS as i am using a 42 inch plasma. Not exactly the height of gaming ambition but works for me. To be fair to the G4560 it runs modern stuff at those frame rates.
    I just try to upgrade a bit at a time when i think stuff may struggle. If i go for a monitor change the G4560 is gonna show its age i think.

Advertisement