Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China burning Hong Kong books.

Options
  • 05-07-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53296810

Shocking behaviour by the Leftist Chinese Government in Hong Kong.
    Couple this behaviour with life sentences for pro democracy marchers.

Looking forward to the Irish BLM movement to joining in at Chinese Embassy protests here soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Remember, these lads are the ones who are going to take the reins when the US is no longer top dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Communists being Communists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ah yes China, that leftist regime of workers rights and unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Those who begin by burning books will end by burning people.

But yeah, they produce cheap iPhones and loads of other stuff, so we'll just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I can see a major exodus of people and by extension companies from Hong Kong. A lot of western people live there because it ticks both boxes, keeps their company Offices in China But offers western lifestyle.

Companies won’t publicize it for fear of losing Chinese government work, or permits, licenses etc etc But you can be sure executives will be looking to move, if they haven’t already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Sh1thole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Pkiernan wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53296810

Shocking behaviour by the Leftist Chinese Government in Hong Kong.
    Couple this behaviour with life sentences for pro democracy marchers.

Looking forward to the Irish BLM movement to joining in at Chinese Embassy protests here soon.
    Leftist? The Chinese government are hardly "leftists", they're authoritarian pricks. Hong Kong is not a "left vs right" thing, it's authoritarian vs pro-dem.

Many/most conservative business owners in HK are pro-China, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Maybe Father Ted was wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Call it a culture war or whatever you want but authoritarianism is on the rise around the world. From the CCP to BLM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I have traveled extensively across the world and in my experience Chinese tourists are by far the worst, rudest, most unpleasant people you would have the misfortune to encounter. They are loud, litter, spit in public, are oblivious to their surroundings and have zero respect for their host nation. Outside the Louvre in Paris, there’s a sign in Mandarin which tells visitors not to defecate in the surrounding grounds. This sign is only written in Mandarin Chinese. No other nationality, it appears, needs to be reminded where it is and is not appropriate to sh!t in the vicinity of metropolitan France’s art museums. Even the top Chinese politicians have called out the "uncivilized behavior" of their countrymen as they realize it's hurting their image abroad.

China likes to project an image of itself as a high tech, modern, futuristic nation but a generation ago these people were poor farmers living in shanty huts in the countryside. A light bulb was mysterious, scary technology to them. And these people are supposed to overtake America as the world's hegemonic power? Lol. Solidarity with Hong Kong and Taiwan. But I don't expect to hear Hazel Chu echo my sentiments anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ah, The Art of War... which chapter is this from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

They even banned winnie the pooh
    Oh and not to mention they have a 99% prosecution rate

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/07/china-bans-winnie-the-pooh-film-to-stop-comparisons-to-president-xi

2u2me wrote: »
    Call it a culture war or whatever you want but authoritarianism is on the rise around the world. From the CCP to BLM.
    The CCP head up a surveillance state that monitors its citizens and allows no dissent, so they're obviously totalitarian. I would say a country like Hungary is in danger of falling into totalitarianism as well, with the emergency laws that Orban got through.

But how on earth is BLM an example of totalitarianism???

ut how on earth is BLM an example of totalitarianism???

Well this is probably a discussion for another thread but BLM as a political movement is showing a lot of signs of authoritarianism. Authoritarianism isn't animated with utopian ideals in the way that totalitarianism is.

They want strict obedience to authority, just not the authority of the state or the police, to BLM the political movement. They want obedience, they want statues removed, works of art removed, all to appease their ideology. They want words and symbols banned. Have you seen the kneeling? They want corporations to change their branding, their logos, they want people fired for what they say on twitter, they want people removed from socieities for 'dogwhilstling', they want black to go first from now on in chess, they want obscure words removed from coding.

Discussion and dissent seemlingly aren't allowed; any opposition is being labelled racist, bigot etc... Just like the CCP would call theirs dissidents.

I live in Hong Kong, and I just don't feel there's any comparison to be made between the CCP and BLM (especially as they're your two examples of authoritarianism).

Someone getting booted off Twitter for being racist isn't the same thing as the National Security Law which we're now dealing with.

I live in Hong Kong, and I just don't feel there's any comparison to be made between the CCP and BLM (especially as they're your two examples of authoritarianism).

Someone getting booted off Twitter for being racist isn't the same thing as the National Security Law which we're now dealing with.

I'd say calls to abolish the police and replace it with a BLM approved 'force' is pretty authoritarian. But if you disagree that's fine.

I do disagree, people calling to genuinely abolish police (and not just defund it) are an incredibly small minority who are unlikely to ever organise at a level big enough to reach power.

The CCP have just forced a ridiculously heavy handed (and poorly written) law on Hong Kong that criminalises dissent (to what extent is not yet clear). They're not comparable.

I do disagree, people calling to genuinely abolish police (and not just defund it) are an incredibly small minority who are unlikely to ever organise at a level big enough to reach power.

The CCP have just forced a ridiculously heavy handed (and poorly written) law on Hong Kong the criminalises dissent (to what extent is not yet clear). They're not comparable.

You're joking? We're seeing institutions across the globe bending over backwards to appease these authoritarians.

You do realize there are varying degrees of authoritarianism.. right?
    It has to start somewhere. Just because the CCP have more power to enforce their ideology doesn't make what the BLM movement is about any less authoritarian.

Anyone that wants less police wants more power for themselves. Every call for defunding/abolishing the police comes with calls to divert those funds to BLM community leaders. Authoritarians.

"California voters will be asked whether to reverse the state’s prohibition on affirmative action, allowing public universities to consider race in admissions and government to give preference to businesses owned by women and people of color when awarding contracts."

The BLM movement have just forced a ridiculously heavy handed (and poorly written) culture on USA that punishes dissent (to what extent is not yet clear).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I live in Hong Kong.

What's your opinion on how things will turn out?

2u2me, you obviously have an agenda and need to crowbar BLM into things whenever possible. The fact that you brought them up as authoritarians alongside the CCP, instead of Orban, Bolsonaro, Modi, Putin, etc shows that you're not really taking HK as an issue seriously other than to use as some sort of point-scoring. Point scoring in a very US focused left vs right manner.
    CrankyHaus wrote: »
    What's your opinion on how things will turn out?

Hard to know. I don't see the mass exodus that some people are expecting, though departures will go up for sure. People will adapt (Lennon Walls have started going up again, but with blank post-its), and things may calm down for a bit, whether that's a few months or a few years. It'll be a constant bubbling up under the surface ready to explode again at any time, though.

• Advertisement

2u2me, you obviously have an agenda and need to crowbar BLM into things whenever possible. The fact that you brought them up as authoritarians alongside the CCP, instead of Orban, Bolsonaro, Modi, Putin, etc shows that you're not really taking HK as an issue seriously other than to use as some sort of point-scoring. Point scoring in a very US focused left vs right manner.

Well I've seen your posts in the past and I see your incessant need to continually downplay the BLM movement. The same way I saw people downplay what the CCP where doing to Hong Kong in that thread.

Perhaps because you're living in Hong Kong and this you're not seeing what is happening in the west. People maybe moved from Hong Kong to Chinese prisons because of that extraidition bill for thinking the wrong way, but now in the west you can lose your job and be socially ostracized or the same thing.

I'll leave it there.

Advertisement