Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The real scandal here is that the young and low income earners pay very little in tax

Options
  • 05-07-2020 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Recent Exchequer figures show Income tax revenue actually ROSE in first half of year compared with 2019.

How can this be? - Well because the vast majority of those losing their jobs due to COVID-19 pay little or no income tax.

25% of workers pay around 80% of all income tax. How can we have a proper democracy if really only 25% are paying towards it?

A person earning €20k in Germany pays around €4k in income tax/PRSI. In Ireland that same person pays less than €1k. How do the left try to justify this with a straight face? Are Irish people special that they should pay little or nothing compared with similar earners on the continent? And still demand the same public services?

If the young and low earners who voted for SF in droves at the last election really do want better public services and cheaper/free houses, then they can pay for it through higher taxes on lower incomes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

25% of workers pay around 80% of all income tax. How can we have a proper democracy if really only 25% are paying towards it?

Could I get a source for that? I don't particularly doubt the claim, I just want to see how other cohorts fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

I have sympathy for younger workers and realistically why would they be paying higher taxes when they earn so little? When it comes to healthcare, the public system is not exactly a stellar service. By the time you are seen in some cases your problem may have worsened to such a degree that you are a dead man walking. I'm of the view that more of the middle income earners should be brought into the lower tax bracket, especially if they are renting and effectively giving back half their rental payments to the government in the form of tax. It has gone on far too long...the rich people pay so little tax as a percentage of their incomes given their ability to generate wealth in jobs that are overpaying in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Recent Exchequer figures show Income tax revenue actually ROSE in first half of year compared with 2019.

How can this be? - Well because the vast majority of those losing their jobs due to COVID-19 pay little or no income tax.

A person earning €20k in Germany pays around €4k in income tax/PRSI. In Ireland that same person pays less than €1k. How do the left try to justify this with a straight face? Are Irish people special that they should pay little or nothing compared with similar earners on the continent? And still demand the same public services?

If the young and low earners who voted for SF in droves at the last election really do want better public services and cheaper/free houses, then they can pay for it through higher taxes on lower incomes.

So raise taxes on lower paid workers? Won't they then need further state aid?
    What about these workers, you favour 25 year leases on private builds to state owned social rentals?
    Would it not be better to have less workers relying on state aid to get through the week? Building our own for use as social would be more fiscally prudent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Has to be one of the sillier threads I've seen recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Might explain a lot

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/country/comparison/germany/ireland

But seeing its you Fred it's just another attack on SF and poor people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So FDI companies pay fook all tax here but they employ around 200,000 people all of whom will be paying income tax and make up some of that 25% who pay 80% of the income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Damn website keeps losing my freaking reply. Here is a chart of 2017 showing the income earned and income tax paid in 2017 as a proportion of the total for the year.

20207518542517579294RVA02_p680715_p68071562_18543175.gif

Self explanatory, squeezed middle only group paying in proportion to the amount they earn, I'd elaborate but having typed this out twice already I'm pissed.

EDIT: Ranges of Income and total number of taxable cases are as follows:

Under 10,000 539,452
    10,000 to 12,000 80,210
    12,000 to 15,000 111,017
    15,000 to 17,000 73,615
    17,000 to 20,000 125,176
    20,000 to 25,000 206,724
    25,000 to 27,000 75,514
    27,000 to 30,000 107,235
    30,000 to 35,000 171,328
    35,000 to 40,000 150,792
    40,000 to 50,000 227,706
    50,000 to 60,000 160,922
    60,000 to 70,000 114,849
    70,000 to 75,000 44,699
    75,000 to 80,000 36,730
    80,000 to 90,000 57,276
    90,000 to 100,000 40,366
    100,000 to 150,000 88,954
    150,000 to 200,000 24,066
    200,000 to 275,000 12,923
    275,000 and over 12,502

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If it wasn't for the sick and the unemployed we would be in the black now kind of thing

But thank christ we live in a civilised society where we who are well and able to work can do the heavy lifting for the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

circadian wrote: »

There's a fair bit of competition over the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

dan1895 wrote: »
    There's a fair bit of competition over the last week or so.

I don't disagree with that, but this is one has some level of effort put in, despite still being completely stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Fred doesn't like poor people shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If it wasn't for the sick and the unemployed we would be in the black now kind of thing

But thank christ we live in a civilised society where we who are well and able to work can do the heavy lifting for the rest

the issue is many of those people don't do any lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

900,000 people pay no income tax in Ireland.

Have it to handy with a added benifits been below the threshold.

Subsided houses, medical cards, work 20 hours get the top up to 40, back to school allowance..

I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My parents are a good example, on 50k combined gross approx.

They pay 9% direct income tax.

They get:

two full med cards
    two FTP
    free TV licence
    35 pm off elec bill / 420 pa

We have a very progressive income tax system in Ireland, this is well known.

Many, many earners pay very little.

But the effective tax rates then rise very fast, as the entry point to the top MTR is just 35k approx.

By 80k, effective tax rates here are like Nordic rates.

If any party wants Nordic style public services, fair enough, but you must be honest about it, that requires much higher taxes on many lower earners.

In my opinion, SF do not face this reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wouldn’t raising tax for low earners mean that they have much less to spend on consumer items and discretionary spending, lowering the VAT take?
    the issue is many of those people don't do any lifting.

Many low paid jobs are very physically taxing. Low paid workers work bloody hard too. There’s seems to be this idea that the higher you are paid, the harder you work.

Wouldn’t raising tax for low earners mean that they have much less to spend on consumer items and discretionary spending, lowering the VAT take?

Many low paid jobs are very physically taxing. Low paid workers work bloody hard too. There’s seems to be this idea that the higher you are paid, the harder you work.

Hardest job I ever hard was also the lowest wage. That's common.

Eric Cartman was, I believe, referring to the high rate of economic inactivity in Ireland, i.e. the high rate of joblessness.

Geuze wrote: »
    Eric Cartman was, I believe, referring to the high rate of economic inactivity in Ireland, i.e. the high rate of joblessness.

The old and sick with the undefined number of 'dem that don't want to work'?
    Until recently I was led to believe employment was high. Couldn't be the system thats arseways? No must be the spongers...

Bowie wrote: »
    Until recently I was led to believe employment was high. Couldn't be the system thats arseways? No must be the spongers...

Note that joblessness is far wider than unemployment.

Joblessness refers to people typically aged 24-65.

We lead Europe in joblessness.

The employment rate in Ireland is average, maybe a bit above average, but not very high.

Bowie wrote: »

Why joblessness is so high here is hard to say:

the design of our welfare state is one answer
    another is how caring happens - we have more informal caring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Pre Covid our unemployment rate was 4.8% a 13 year low. When you say high joblessness what did you mean. Growing up in the 80s it was 10% or above. In January 2020 it was considered to be full job capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

What is "informal caring?"

joeguevara wrote: »
    Pre Covid our unemployment rate was 4.8% a 13 year low. When you say high joblessness what did you mean. Growing up in the 80s it was 10% or above. In January 2020 it was considered to be full job capacity.

https://www.nesc.ie/publications/jobless-households-an-exploration-of-the-issues/

http://files.nesc.ie/nesc_reports/en/137_Jobless_Households_Infographic.pdf

joeguevara wrote: »

I mean that Ireland leads Europe in the number of VLWI households.

We have very high numbers of households with no market incomes.

NESC, IGEES and Barra Roantree have written about this, among others.

https://www.esri.ie/sites/default/files/media/file-uploads/2020-01/Slides_1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Tax the rich, you say.
    Everybody should pay "their share" of taxes.
    Income tax is one of the main streams of taxation although receipts from corporation tax is rising steadily. However, a back of the envelope calculation tells me that the first 18 or 19k earned is effectively tax free. The next 17k earned is hit at 20% and then anything above that at 40% plus usc, prsi, pension levy etc of a public servant. There is little financial incentive to better one's self as we progress in the work place.
    So back to taxing the rich. Why don't we all pay at the same rate then? Instead of having 2 main rates of income tax, we could all pay at the same rate? For example we all pay 30% at anything above €15k. Fair? And why not throw in unearned income too? As in those collecting social welfare payments.
    Will this happen? Will it ****. Because most of us are happy with those on more than €50k a year paying far more than they should.

what I meant was that we have plenty of people here who are perfectly capable of working who don't work at all.

Tax the rich, you say.
    Everybody should pay "their share" of taxes.
    Income tax is one of the main streams of taxation although receipts from corporation tax is rising steadily. However, a back of the envelope calculation tells me that the first 18 or 19k earned is effectively tax free. The next 17k earned is hit at 20% and then anything above that at 40% plus usc, prsi, pension levy etc of a public servant. There is little financial incentive to better one's self as we progress in the work place.
    So back to taxing the rich. Why don't we all pay at the same rate then? Instead of having 2 main rates of income tax, we could all pay at the same rate? For example we all pay 30% at anything above €15k. Fair? And why not throw in unearned income too? As in those collecting social welfare payments.
    Will this happen? Will it ****. Because most of us are happy with those on more than €50k a year paying far more than they should.

thats it, the flat tax model works wonderfully, 22% on everything from 1 euro to 1 billion euro , would be a far fairer system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

thats it, the flat tax model works wonderfully, 22% on everything from 1 euro to 1 billion euro , would be a far fairer system.

We were at close to full employment before Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I'd be all for a flat rate of tax. Unfortunately, there's no hope in hell you'd ever manage to make someone earning 1 billion euro pay 20 or 25% tax.

It's difficult to make the rich (I mean ultra-rich bezos/Warren Buffet types) pay even 1% effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

circadian wrote: »

It's not about income tax though, it's an opportunity to complain about "the left" ie presumably the people in FF and FG who have set the tax rates in Ireland.

Advertisement