Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD claims people in RTÉ are "snorting cocaine all over the place".

Options
  • 05-07-2020 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

The new Minister of State for Drugs Policy Frank Feighan said public officials and people in RTE are "snorting cocaine all over the place".

The Fine Gael TD made the claim on a local radio debate during the general election campaign in the course of a discussion on the problem of recreational drug use and crime in Ireland.

Speaking to Ocean FM on January 31, Mr Feighan said: "You talk about drugs, I remember 2002, I was talking about cannabis and nobody was listening. Cannabis, like alcohol, is a gateway drug to cocaine and we had this lovely feeling about it, 'sure it's a bit of fun'.

Here's a link to the audio on YouTube.
    https://youtu.be/mffMWa3A3F4

Do you really believe that cocaine is as widely used in RTÉ as Minister Feighan and others have suggested? While I've no doubt that some people in RTÉ use cocaine, I don't believe that every "star" in there uses the drug.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The new Minister of State for Drugs Policy Frank Feighan said public officials and people in RTE are "snorting cocaine all over the place".

The Fine Gael TD made the claim on a local radio debate during the general election campaign in the course of a discussion on the problem of recreational drug use and crime in Ireland.

Speaking to Ocean FM on January 31, Mr Feighan said: "You talk about drugs, I remember 2002, I was talking about cannabis and nobody was listening. Cannabis, like alcohol, is a gateway drug to cocaine and we had this lovely feeling about it, 'sure it's a bit of fun'.

Do you really believe that cocaine is as widely used in RTÉ as Minister Feighan and others have suggested? While I've no doubt that some people in RTÉ use cocaine, I don't believe that every "star" in there uses the drug.

Would explain for the quality of the journalism coming outta there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I don't think "all over the place " was to be taken literally. A few big names or a bit if party culture is probably what he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Someone should tell him alcohol is the gateway drug, not cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I don't think "all over the place " was to be taken literally. A few big names or a bit if party culture is probably what he means.

It’s widespread belief that ‘all over the place’ describes the drug use perfectly, in that it is a majority of those we see on RTE that are on cocaine. Of course, this is just rumour, but a very widespread and persistent rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

Biggest crime here is use of star and rte in same sentence !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People in the media using cocaine shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

If only they were

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

How many RTE employees are there?

I'd guess a very small percentage are using cocaine..

Nosecones claim here, and one he should be challenged on....sullying a whole organization and its people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

he crossed a line, he needs to take a hard look at himself in the mirror table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Remember Gerry Ryan was paying 400 euro for a gram of coke, it was the pure model grade stuff he ws getting at a time when the street price was circa 100 a gram. Gareth oCallaghan said that the dealer was dealing to lots of heads in RTE, then suddenly OCallaghan went very silent and wouldnt go to the Gardai about what he had said he knew.

Fair play for saying it,like it is

Coke is everywhere and widespread now....dont know why RTE would be any different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yeah, he should keep his nose clean, there is not a sniff of evidence this is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yes. I always thought RTE and Gerry Ryan's pals were on poor form making it sound like he was the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fair play for saying it,like it is

Coke is everywhere and widespread now....dont know why RTE would be any different

Saying it like it is? Just saying it with nothing to back it up, show it, prove it?

You think this is what we should strive for and encourage from our elected representatives? Tarring a whole organization and its people with a serious and damaging claim?

walshb wrote: »
    Saying it like it is? Just saying it with nothing to back it up, show it, prove it?

You think this is what we should strive for and encourage from our elected representatives? Tarring a whole organization and its people with a serious and damaging claim?

Theres a lot of it goes on. The irony being people giving out about the gangs are some of the ones financing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Is this really a surprise to people? Give me a room full of people on cocaine over a room full of people on booze any day. They are much easier to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I wonder what the use of cocaine is like in FG?

I'd say some in FG would be annoyed at one of their own for stirring a hornets' nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is this some kind of reverse psychology he's playing, give out about RTE on drugs, RTE goes gung-ho anti drugs and the minster looks good when the war on drugs hits defcon 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Is this really a surprise to people? Give me a room full of people on cocaine over a room full of people on booze any day. They are much easier to deal with.

Really? Cocaine turns people into aggresive morons way more than alcohol, in my experience

• Advertisement

Makes normally decent people act like arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Remember Gerry Ryan was paying 400 euro for a gram of coke, it was the pure model grade stuff he ws getting at a time when the street price was circa 100 a gram. Gareth oCallaghan said that the dealer was dealing to lots of heads in RTE, then suddenly OCallaghan went very silent and wouldnt go to the Gardai about what he had said he knew.

No wonder Gerry didn't want to take a pay cut, the white stuff ain't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jim Root wrote: »
    Really? Cocaine turns people into aggresive morons way more than alcohol, in my experience

Both can make people turn into aggressive morons and most people who are doing coke are also drinking at the same time, its a toxic combination for some people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Someone should tell him alcohol is the gateway drug, not cannabis

What about caffeine? Most people drink tea or coffee before moving onto alcohol, therefore that is the real gateway drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    What about caffeine? Most people drink tea or coffee before moving onto alcohol, therefore that is the real gateway drug.

I heard it's the breast milk that they get started on. Graduate from that onto milk from a tetra pack, then tap water, then MiWadi and it's all downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

KevRossi wrote: »
    I heard it's the breast milk that they get started on. Graduate from that onto milk from a tetra pack, then tap water, then MiWadi and it's all downhill from there.

MiWadi would be knacker drinking ,Robinson's Squash would be the class A

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the sun did an expose a few years ago where they paid a cleaner to swap loads of places in rte, toilet tanks, door handles, mixers, all testing positive.

I once had a vision mixer in for repair from donnybrook, two potentiometer sliders broken on it, tracks in them littered with what looked like Columbias finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,630 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Probably does that every time he snorts one or two
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement