Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with buying a used PC

Options
  • 05-07-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,026 ✭✭✭✭

My old desktop PC packed in so its time for a change. Can anyone recommend a used model or a decent seller on the likes of Ebay.

Budget - €300

Use - general web browsing, light office work and light gaming.

Must have/preferred - W10, 8Gb RAM min., DVD drive, half decent graphics card. 240 - 500GB hard drive (preferably SSD), Pre-installed MS Office would be a bonus.

Dont need monitor, keyboard or mouse

Im pretty clueless when it comes to the likes of the processor unit, power supply, etc so any tips, advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Wouldn't agree generally if going 2nd hand. €300 will buy you a fairly decent PC capable of mild gaming, new, you'll get a PC that'll struggle with anything that's not Fortnite or CSGO type games.

EG on Ebay, for €200 you will get a 4th gen i7 based machine.

Add a 2nd hand GTX1050Ti for €80-100 and for €300 you have a machine that'll play any game relatively OKish.

By comparison, the same price new will only get you a system like Ryzen 3200G which would barely play anything.

My "under the TV" PC is an i7-6700 with 16GB and GTX1650 low profile, total cost was about €380 for example - runs all the latest games at 1080p highish settings just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Or else just check out adverts. Here for example, lad selling a 4th gen i5, 16GB, SSD + GTX780 for €300.

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/gaming-pc/20824124

As long as you are reasonable in your expectations - €300 2nd hand will buy you a "good" PC from years back, but can't expect it to run all the latest games well or have any real sort of longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,026 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Primary use would be work - Word and PDF documents, A bit of AutoCad, emails etc.. Personal use then is as stated for a bit of web browsing and light gaming. When I say gaming it would be the likes of the older COD's and Battlefield. Video quality hasnt to be great - lower settings for these games would do me fine.

The one on Adverts linked to appears to be gone now. I was having a look at Amazon and spotted this model and a similar model. Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can get that cheaper off Adverts but it still won't be able to play games as you would need a low profile card

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/dell-optiplex-7010-sff/20340654

• Advertisement
Advertisement