Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of black presenters on Irish Television

Options
  • 05-07-2020 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Former justice Minister Alan Shatter has given his support to a campaign to get more black presenters on Irish television. I think the reason there are so few black presenters on RTE is obvious, one needs to be related to someone who already works there to get a job there. It's crazy the amount of RTE staff who are related to each other. Gerry Ryan's Daughter, Son and Brother work there for example. https://mobile.twitter.com/Alan__Shatter/status/1279655688587927552

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Because cocaine is always white.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Not only black presenters are lacking. Why are there not more paraplegic transgender asian traveller presenters on RTEs current affairs shows. Blatant unacceptable discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Ahhhh jayyyyysizzz Creeeeeest here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

robinbird wrote: »
    Not only black presenters are lacking. Why are there not more paraplegic transgender asian traveller presenters on RTEs current affairs shows. Blatant unacceptable discrimination.

You forgot Jews, bloody racist :)

Luxxis wrote: »

Sammy Davis Jr is spinning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No lesbian Muslims from the planet Mars either

Three titted ladies ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I wonder is there a campaign in the Congo to have more Celts presenting on TV there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Because cocaine is always white.

I want black cocaine. Maybe it can just identify as such

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gammyeye

In fairness, Marty Morrissey usually has a nice tan around the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I want black cocaine. Maybe it can just identify as such

its called crack...

ill get my coat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Nothing wrong with branching out a bit from the usual suspect/families. As pointed out above id say the biggest barrier to entry is the closed shop that is RTE.

If they are looking for diversity though they could also branch out to the other immigrants of recent years like the Polish or even Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Luxxis wrote: »

Amy Huberman was on last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

Water John wrote: »
    Amy Huberman was on last night.

White female though. Not good enough according to my diversity handbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

While I wouldn't mind some new faces at RTÉ, I'd rather they were picked for their talent rather than a virtue signalling exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Seamai wrote: »
    While I wouldn't mind some new faces at RTÉ, I'd rather they were picked for their talent rather than a virtue signalling exercise.

I'd rather they were picked for being willing to work for a maximum of 60k per year and if they can get more elsewhere good for them.

RTE presenters should be on the AO or AP civil service payscales.

Geuze wrote: »
    I wonder is there a campaign in the Congo to have more Celts presenting on TV there?

Gavin Lambe Murphy is massive in Kinshasa.

Once you go blik and all that

GarIT wrote: »
    I'd rather they were picked for being willing to work for a maximum of 60k per year and if they can get more elsewhere good for them.

RTE presenters should be on the AO or AP civil service payscales.

but dahling - haven't you heard that there are several imaginary media outlets queuing up to pay more for their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Seamai wrote: »

... or who they are related to...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I think we should be more concerned about the lack of television on Irish television, no variety at all, same heads different day, here's Daniel O'Donnell and the wife on the late late show, here's Ryan Tubridy with the late late show, here's Saoirse Ronan he late late show, tonight on the late late show its Ryan Tubridy, Nathan Carter Daniel O'Donnell and someone talking about depression, if it was wound up who would miss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I'm more concerned about the lack of brain cells in people these days to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement

I think we should be more concerned about the lack of television on Irish television, no variety at all, same heads different day, here's Daniel O'Donnell and the wife on the late late show, here's Ryan Tubridy with the late late show, here's Saoirse Ronan he late late show, tonight on the late late show its Ryan Tubridy, Nathan Carter Daniel O'Donnell and someone talking about depression, if it was wound up who would miss it?

You forgot about a traveller that got a job. They have to interview every traveller that got a degree or got a job on the late late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Shatter must be bored.
    As the OP states they need open up RTE to the public before we can talk about racial issues. You need be related to someone in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

black people make up 1.4% of the population.

asian people make up 2.1% of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

Geuze wrote: »

How many Celts graduate media courses in the Congo ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Population of this country is overwhelmingly white. That means the number of candidates that apply for any given role in RTE will be overwhelmingly white.

I don't see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Stop talking sense, it might offend some people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

GarIT wrote: »
    You forgot about a traveller that got a job. They have to interview every traveller that got a degree or got a job on the late late.

All 2 of them, John Connors and the girl that got the degree in traveller culture? We could play late late show bingo, the same 20 or 30 heads recycled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They already had a few token presenters about 20 years ago.its the nepotism needs wiping out then people might have a shot wherever their ethnicity.

So you're saying if we get a presenter that is 10% black, and a presenter that is 20% asian were covered? Does it still count if they are the same person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Stop talking sense, it might offend some people :pac:

Jobs should be offered on ability to do the job in question not sex/race/etc!

Oh sh*t, I might've offended some poor left/right wing b*stard. Pardon me while I search the drain pipes to see if I can find a sh*t to give!

Advertisement