Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of black presenters on Irish Television

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's very Irish the Irish media. You'd never guess 12-14% of the population wasn't Irish and/or white.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Seamai wrote: »
    While I wouldn't mind some new faces at RTÉ, I'd rather they were picked for their talent rather than a virtue signalling exercise.

Every person in a company hiring for a position should by law only have the option of hiring the best and most suitable candidate. Based on..talent, ability, experience and personality, obviously academic qualifications too come into it. Nothing else about them needs to be entered into consideration.

If I’m hiring, I don’t care if you were born in Finglas, Farranfore, Navan or Nairobi. I just want the best most suitable candidate.

If I’ve hired two Irish people for two out of three positions, I’ve two more people to interview, one of African ethnicity, the other from Donegal say... similar qualities in the content of the CVs, but person B has more experience, does a better interview , has clearly researched the role and the company and seems a better overall fit for the position.. do I have to turn them down ? Simply because there is a candidate of different ethnicity that is applying ? If so then that’s discrimination in my mind.. you are offering a person an interview, an opportunity but knowingly they will never have a chance...
    .you as a hiring manager need to hire with in mind...

1. Existing colleagues
    2. Existing and future customers

To hire the best and most deserving staff into the positions.

Seems now, there is a movement out there seeking to destroy the idea and ideals of fairness in order to ensure the possibility of ‘quotas’ that enables discrimination against the most able and deserving candidates... regardless of color, ethnicity or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I live in China and I complain that there aren't enough roundy-eyed crackers like myself on TV. I need representation because I'm insecure. I only see people by their group identity and not as individuals. How on Earth do you expect me to identify with Chinese people? I need white people to tell me what to think and do because I have no original thoughts or lack any critical thinking skills.

So, I'm a loud vocal minorty in China and I complain and call the Chinese racist for not having more people like me on TV in their country. All TV should appeal to everyone based on arbitrary group identity traits like skin colour. Because it's not like character or intellect is what matters. Diversity of thought, isn't as important as diversity of skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's very Irish the Irish media. You'd never guess 12-14% of the population wasn't Irish and/or white.

88% white Irish Audience watches mostly white Irish Presenters on Irish TV, shocking.

Strumms wrote: »
    Every person in a company hiring for a position should by law only have the option of hiring the best and most suitable candidate. Based on..talent, ability, experience and personality, obviously academic qualifications too come into it. Nothing else about them needs to be entered into consideration.

If I’m hiring, I don’t care if you were born in Finglas, Farranfore, Navan or Nairobi. I just want the best most suitable candidate.

If I’ve hired two Irish people for two out of three positions, I’ve two more people to interview, one of African ethnicity, the other from Donegal say... similar qualities in the content of the CVs, but person B has more experience, does a better interview , has clearly researched the role and the company and seems a better overall fit for the position.. do I have to turn them down ? Simply because there is a candidate of different ethnicity that is applying ? If so then that’s discrimination in my mind.. you are offering a person an interview, an opportunity but knowingly they will never have a chance... loyalty..

1. Existing colleagues

Seems now, there is a movement out there seeking to destroy the idea and ideals of fairness in order to ensure the possibility of ‘quotas’ that enables discrimination against the most able and deserving candidates... regardless of color, ethnicity or otherwise.

No, go away! Hiring people based on a meritocracy is racist. You have fill gender and race quotas! Because as I said, diversity of thought doesn't matter. What matters is the colour of your skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

There's no Oirish presenters on my telly when it goes black either, so there.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

''Lack of black presenters on Irish Television''

What a load of codswallop....!! Who really cares about skin colour (bar the knuckle heads that are lagging behind in the evolution process)..

When did white skin get deemed the superior colour, and by who, and under what criteria...??

Thank God I work in a diverse industry, and meet many different races and creeds. I have great craic with the black guys, they have great wit and banter. If I believed everything I seen on telly, I would assume the Russians are cold and devoid of any fun - The total opposite is true, they are mad for the craic, love the banter...

I don't discriminate between black and white. A mans colour is down to his climate, and the body is wired accordingly. (before mass emigration obviously)

But just to point out a few blatant facts: The blacks are great singers, great cooks and great athletes... Just saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's definitely noticeable and even some of those in the media are not comfortable with it : I've heard Ray D'Arcy and VM News' Richard Chambers talking about it recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

GarIT wrote: »
    88% white Irish Audience watches mostly white Irish Presenters on Irish TV, shocking.

It's just not representative of the population which is no longer homogeneous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Strumms wrote: »

If I’ve hired two Irish people for two out of three positions, I’ve two more people to interview, one of African ethnicity, the other from Donegal say... similar qualities in the content of the CVs, but person B has more experience, does a better interview , has clearly researched the role and the company and seems a better overall fit for the position.. do I have to turn them down ? Simply because there is a candidate of different ethnicity that is applying ? If so then that’s discrimination in my mind.. you are offering a person an interview, an opportunity but knowingly they will never have a chance...
    .you as a hiring manager need to hire with in mind...

1. Existing colleagues

RTE does not work like that. Its who you know. Who you are related to.

• Advertisement

I'd argue 88% is largely homogenenous, especially when you consider the presenters we have have been working to get the job or in the job for anywhere from 20-60 years. We would need to look at the race breakdown of the population 50 years ago to get an acurate indication of how the presenters should be now. And being born here and going to school here is an important part of learning the native lingo and culture which is a big advantage when trying to get onto tv.

And there's no less chance of a black person getting on there as their is me getting on RTE as neither of us have family in there.

What makes you think the 88% white Irish audience wouldn't want to watch black presenters on Irish TV? And if that is the case, why not hire them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Will Eskimos ever get a look in..... Shocking really is... ELM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Strazdas wrote: »
    What makes you think the 88% white Irish audience wouldn't want to watch black presenters on Irish TV? And if that is the case, why not hire them?

Oh sweet jesus. Well that just went right over your head didn't it :rolleyes:

I didn't say they don't want to. Just that it's not a shock that there aren't many.

Yeah but your talking about a relatively new Irish population. Lets take families of African origins. Think of the percentage they make up. Someone said around 2%. Then you think their parents are going to afford immediately or by choice want to support and send their kids to study media production. Then, of those that study media production, actually make it to be on TV.

It's incredible. The amount of people that study media production that don't end up working in the industry is huge. Then, the amount that want to specifically be presenters which makes up about 1% of the production jobs: electricians, editors, lighting technicians, camera operators, sound, producing, directing, researching, continuity, assistant directing, hair and makeup, costume design, set design etc etc.

So of that 2% population. Then the percentage that study media production. Then the percentage that go on to work for one company RTE and not say, all the other media companies that mostly do media. And there are huge amount of them. Then of that percentage that actually make it and want to get in to presenting??!! Come one.. lol

Gods Gift wrote: »
    FCUK YOU DEPUTY SHATTER.
    FCUK YOU.

Unparlementary language deputy Stag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

90.4% of people in Ireland are white. Therefore it's not usual to expect that the vast majority of any other section of the country, be it presenters, civil service, guards, shopkeepers etc are white. It's not discrimination, it's the logical output given the input.

Similarly, there's a lot of talk about the fact that only 4 out of 15 new TDs are female. How can this be surprising or discriminatory given that in the last election there was a requirement for 30% of the candidates to be female? The outcome again looks to represent the amount eligible for the role.

Racism or discrimination is horrible & has no place in society but not everything is racist or marginalised exclusion. It is simply an outcome based on circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I’ll tell you this: I saw a video on YouTube about someone visiting Uganda. They went to a bar where it was a sort of stand-up/variety hour it was brilliant, all sorts of madness.

Fly those folks in and let them have a go. I’d rather see that than the same cunce week in year out from RTE.

I didn't say they don't want to. Just that it's not a shock that there aren't many.

YOU CLEARLY IMPLIED THAT THEY DIDN'T WANT TO!

I mean.. .. .. well you actually didn't. Like, anyone with basic reading skills could tell that you didn't imply anything there but.. .. .. like.. .. ..

*scratch head

2+2 still equals 4 right.. .. ..? I don't even recognise this world anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Unparlementary language deputy Stag.

Your too quick
    Yeah it was stagg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

RTE has had many sets of twins working there. Nothing says nepotism like seeing a pair of twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

theres a black presenter that does some reporting on the news, think she got her start in kids tv, and it shows, still talks slowly and deliberately like she's talking to a 5 year old, although the auld lads with their hearing aids in the drawer probably love her...

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

No, go away! Hiring people based on a meritocracy is racist. You have fill gender and race quotas! Because as I said, diversity of thought doesn't matter. What matters is the colour of your skin.

We need moar Tokenism

Your man that does the lotto. Ibribim idoliyh or something

Ruth Negga too, and there was a black person in Fair City not too long ago too, worked as a housekeeper

I agree, but in that case, there would be no reason not to have black newsreaders, sports presenters, chat show hosts etc.

I'm not sure I agree with the "people should be hired on ability only and nothing else" stance. That view seems to be leading to a 'very' white media landscape in Ireland i.e. TV companies making no effort whatsoever to have a diverse workforce.

I agree, but in that case, there would be no reason not to have black newsreaders, sports presenters, chat show hosts etc.

I'm not sure I agree with the "people should be hired on ability only and nothing else" stance. That view seems to be leading to a 'very' white media landscape in Ireland i.e. TV companies making no effort whatsoever to have a diverse workforce.

As in the examples above, we have some. And it takes years to get into a position like that so it's not unusual that we don't have many yet.

I strongly disagree with not hiring the best person for the job and the person who has earned the job so you can have some diversity. That is racism.

As in the examples above, we have some. And it takes years to get into a position like that so it's not unusual that we don't have many yet.

I strongly disagree with not hiring the best person for the job and the person who has earned the job so you can have some diversity. That is racism.

Ssshhh. Stop speaking sense now, you'll upset the little left and right winged children.

• Advertisement

Ruth Negga too, and there was a black person in Fair City not too long ago too, worked as a housekeeper

Stereotyping.
    Someone should complain

Advertisement