Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of black presenters on Irish Television

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

They've really been pushing the diversity on sky sports lately. Some of new presenters are really good like Emile Heskey, many of them are clearly lacking the talent or personality to be a media talking head type that can keep peoples interest. I really wish we could forget about race and just hire people who are suited to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Won't they find it hard to find someone black who's related to someone in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

GarIT wrote: »
    I strongly disagree with not hiring the best person for the job and the person who has earned the job so you can have some diversity. That is racism.

You don't seem familiar with the concepts of positive discrimination in recruitment and selection. It's perfectly acceptable and legal for any organisation or company to hire with the express view of having a more diverse workforce (not just in terms of skin colour, but hiring more women, non nationals, disabled people, older people etc).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Joe Duffys other family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Strazdas wrote: »
    You don't seem familiar with the concepts of positive discrimination in recruitment and selection. It's perfectly acceptable and legal for any organisation or company to hire with the express view of having a more diverse workforce (not just in terms of skin colour, but hiring more women, non nationals, disabled people, older people etc).

What does that promote in a company, if you don't hire the best for the job it's just promoting mediocrity imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Positive discrimination is racism. Yes I do know that it is currently legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Baz coke head is a minority, half Bangladeshi I think, was trying to think who he reminded me of, wound up and insincere, and I figured it out, was so obvious and staring me in the face, Gerry Ryan.
    Baz was interviewing that idiot postman from Wexford who lost his bollix in Powers, and came to the conclusion that gambling is evil and should be banned, what a prick, sticking his beak into things he knows nothing about. If you interviewed an alcoholic who lives on whiskey, then you would say drink should be banned, but in reality, it's always the extremists and lunatics that make better TV, and Baz is good at exploiting them for his own agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is Baz Ashmawy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Not at all. Dobbo's as black as the Ace of Spades, as they say in Derry.
    Just you wait til next Sunday and he's swinging from the chandeliers and screaming out anti-Papist hymns...

In fact, apart from Communists and cocaine takers and retired rugby and TD celebrities, Ive heard it on good account that the place is crawling with Protestants.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There is Baz Ashmawy

Mysterypunter will not be impressed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Where the are really lacking diversity in Ireland is actually in the political area... Alan shatter should give up his position and award it to a black man ... or he is a lying bigot

GarIT wrote: »
    Unparlementary language deputy Stag.

Emmet Stagg is a seasoned parliamentarian and would never lower himself like that and disrespect the Dáil. It was Paul Gogarty of the Green Party.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Mysterypunter will not be impressed...

I'm not impressed by Baz OK, he is a plucky little corinthian, tries his best but out of his depth, despite being constantly promoted. I am not against minority or ethnic representation on TV, as it is a positive for the members of the community to see one of their own in a public setting, but you have to have a certain level of ability in my opinion. Not just be there for tokanism or window dressing.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Emmet Stagg is a seasoned parliamentarian and would never lower himself like that and disrespect the D. It was Paul Gogarty of the Green Party.

Wasn't it **** you deputy Stagg? By Gogarty

Wasn't it **** you deputy Stagg? By Gogarty

It was indeed. Hence I corrected it.

Gammyeye wrote: »
    In fairness, Marty Morrissey usually has a nice tan around the end of the summer.

Twink tried that. She got taken out, I meán, down..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Emma Dabiri is a thinking mans hot choclate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

You cant actually, try putting up an ad with something like 'black women may only apply' which is against the law, diverse workforce is not something to strive towards, if it happens due to diverse people going through education so they prove to be the best person for the job then great otherwise no, The UK seems to be completely messed up in this regard.

You cant actually, try putting up an ad with something like 'black women may only apply' which is against the law, diverse workforce is not something to strive towards, if it happens due to diverse people going through education so they prove to be the best person for the job then great otherwise no, The UK seems to be completely messed up in this regard.

Black hotties?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I keep forgetting this is where the racists and xenophobes live.

#SeeItToBeIt and #20x20 exist for a reason. You can explain RTÉ's predominantly white, male homogeneity with the mile-wide nepotistic streak away as meritocracy but it'll still be exactly that. The rest aren't much better.

Tokenism is pathetic too.

Quotas give people the opportunity to get a foot in a door that was never opening for them before. Those discarded CVs need to be read rather than passed over because the name seemed pronounceable or the background wasn't from the right postcode. The only ones who need to worry about quotas are the ones who coast on their membership of the status quo. People who are willing to work hard and engage with a meritocratic mindset will still thrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm not impressed by Baz OK, he is a plucky little corinthian, tries his best but out of his depth, despite being constantly promoted. I am not against minority or ethnic representation on TV, as it is a positive for the members of the community to see one of their own in a public setting, but you have to have a certain level of ability in my opinion. Not just be there for tokanism or window dressing.

Did Baz have a bust up before with RTE hence him going to Sky with his mammy doing well so RTE welcomed him back

Xspose had two coloured presenters Sean and Nadine

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did Baz have a bust up before with RTE hence him going to Sky with his mammy doing well so RTE welcomed him back

Xspose had two coloured presenters Sean and Nadine

Saw him on virgin media today and got a shock. His silver/ grey curly hair.

Reminded me of medusa.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Saw him on virgin media today and got a shock. His silver/ grey curly hair.

Reminded me of medusa.

Think he was put on the naughty step for white powder, then it was forgotten, and Baz returned in triumph like the prodigal son. His Mam is a lot funnier than him, and naturally so, not put on or edited, that was a watchable series, but his RTcareer is forgettable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Think he was put on the naughty step for white powder, then it was forgotten, and Baz returned in triumph like the prodigal son. His Mam is a lot funnier than him, and naturally so, not put on or edited, that was a watchable series, but his RTcareer is forgettable

Drink driving charge, two years suspended. RTE gave him a month off.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You'd have to find a black presenter, and then over look the 100 more qualified white presenters, and give the job to the black presenter out of pity or to be pc. Makes no sense, judge people on their merit .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You'd have to find a black presenter, and then over look the 100 more qualified white presenters, .

Yeah we're drowning in brilliant white presenters right now, it's so obvious, every time I turn on the TV there's just one great presenter after the other with no exceptions. Presumably 100 other ones just as great as the great presenters we have now are just waiting for their chance, if only the quality at rte would slip for even an instant. But it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Absolutely you can't, but instead you could have a black woman on the recruitment panel or advertise the job in outlets likely to be read by black women.

There are many who would say a more diverse workforce could be a big asset to a company - more people of colour, more women, more older people, more disabled people, more non nationals etc can bring a new atmosphere and with fresh ideas. It's the homogeneous places where everyone looks and sounds the same that can become stale and unproductive.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Your man who does the lotto is of Ghanaian decent. I don't see any travellers or Chinese, surely they need a spot. Black folk already have 1 spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

It's representative of the population which is majority white, while I strongly agree there should be black presenters they should not be shoehorned in every where just for the sake of it.

Rte is always the same carting out token minorities for five minutes and then forgetting about them while they pay themselves on the back. For example leaving cert results - they always ask a few foreign nationals, maybe a kid in a wheelchair and then one more "normal" person you would actually think grew up here due to their accent. A segment on the news the other day about cancelled weddings and they spoke to a lesbian couple - it's just so insincere. They probably had to look all the way down the back of the couch to find them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

A good start would be presenters not related to RTE people.

Advertisement