Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of black presenters on Irish Television

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am not going digging through the archives but RTE has had black presenters over the years. Like some of the other staff of all colour in those types of roles they were given various small jobs to cut their teeth in from lotto numbers to small segments on kids TVs . Unfortunately any of the black presenters i came across were quite wooden and were not a natural fit for larger roles. Its unfortunate but the talent pool in Ireland is shallow as it is , never mind further refining it down on the basis of minorities.

If people like Alan Shatter want to make a difference then start at the bottom - ensure that kids of all backgrounds have access to speech and drama, acting classes, stage school etc. Not just something that only the privilged few can privately fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What station did your man Francis Usanga used to be on on the telly?

I saw him described as a TV fitness instructor back when he was in the papers

Was he actually on the TV or known/recognized from it by many people?

Is this only a special thing for "black" or is it a diversity thing? In the more general sense of "non-traditional Irish", wasn't there a girl? Bonin or something? And then your man Baz. I'm sure there must be more but I don''t really watch TV tbh so my frame of reference is 15+ years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

The majority of people in Ireland are Irish caucasians so obviously all types of employment will be very likely to have a majority of Irish caucasian employees. That is unless quotas to discriminate against caucasian people are used then the numbers can be more varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

We had a mixed race presenter a good while back and lovely she was too. Liz Bonnin.

I propose a cultural exchange.
    Lets send Hector over to present a show on any "black" TV station anywhere in the world and they can send whomever they like back in return. We'll do it on a no-return basis. That'll learn 'em!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bowie wrote: »
    Shatter must be bored.
    As the OP states they need open up RTE to the public before we can talk about racial issues. You need be related to someone in there.

I’d like to see a couple of Palestinian presenters hired just to p1ss him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The majority of people in Ireland are Irish caucasians so obviously all types of employment will be very likely to have a majority of Irish caucasian employees. That is unless quotas to discriminate against caucasian people are used then the numbers can be more varied.

I think you mean discriminate in favour of non white people - no white person has ever been discriminated against in Ireland based on their skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Lets send Hector over to present a show on any "black" TV station anywhere in the world and they can send whomever they like back in return. We'll do it on a no-return basis. That'll learn 'em!

I nominate West Cost America preferably California let's see how quick their tolerance wears out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The one black presenter on rte Zainab Boladale is absolutely brutal, her English is atrocious and her tone and delivery is like listening to a 7 year old reading.

By all accounts she's a talented journalist, but not as a presenter...... she is there due to gender and colour, which is more racist and sexist than if she wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think you mean discriminate in favour of non white people - no white person has ever been discriminated against in Ireland based on their skin colour.

Yeah but it is happening in America and the UK now and Ireland has a habit of importing other countries bad habits, all discrimination is wrong, you can have a room full of straight white men and it could be the most diverse room in the world because each person is an individual and very different from one another, diversity of thought is the only kind of diversity we should care about. If you really believe in equality it means never giving someone a leg up just because of a immutable characteristic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/3517413/kathryn-thomas-throwback-jason-sherlock-show-rapid-20-years/#:~:text=PRESENTER%20Kathryn%20Thomas%20has%20shared,Sherlock%20back%20in%20the%201990s.

Jason Sherlock was a presenter on this back in the late 90s.
    I am all for a diverse spread of ppl but they should be hired on merit and not on quotas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Alan Shatter couldn't blow into a breathalyser when stopped outside the dail. He said to the gaurd do you not know who I am and drove off. Files into the incident were then lost.

Oops I've gone off the subject completely.

I remember the lad doing the lotto numbers. I think he's a originally from Lagos moved to Limerick as a kid.

My mother is from Limerick and said she couldn't understand him. I bursted my hole laughing informing her he's from Limerick just like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bowie wrote: »
    RTE does not work like that. Its who you know. Who you are related to.

Well, that’s me as a white, Irish person fûcked. I don’t know anybody in RTÉ !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

We had a mixed race presenter a good while back and lovely she was too. Liz Bonnin.

Still on TV, mostly on BBC wildlife programmes

Did Mary not present a few shows? Or her sister Frances? Isn't her young fella always on the telly and radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you really believe in equality it means never giving someone a leg up just because of a immutable characteristic.

This..... equality should be a foundation of fairness, the workplace, everywhere.

If I’m getting a taxi into wherever say the IFSC for an interview next week... I expect and believe I should have an equal and fair opportunity to be the successful candidate.

The only things that matter and that I should be judged on ? My CV and what comes out of my mouth when answering questions.

Not where I live, not what car I drive, not if I’m a vegan, vegetarian or meat muncher, not my ethnicity, not where I was born... none of that matters... none of that should give you a leg up... none of that should enable an employer to discriminate against you, none of that should enable an employer to prefer you to another candidate.

Things are fairly grim in this country that we are having and needing to have this conversation in this country now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

A blacked up dobbo id pay to see that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Hoboo wrote: »
    The one black presenter on rte Zainab Boladale is absolutely brutal, her English is atrocious and her tone and delivery is like listening to a 7 year old reading.

By all accounts she's a talented journalist, but not as a presenter...... she is there due to gender and colour, which is more racist and sexist than if she wasn't.

I was just coming on here to mention her. She's very wooden.

A blacked up dobbo id pay to see that

Off topic, but how did you choose your username btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Moved to England and presented nature programmes for the BBC, very good and clever out, made a good career for herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Off topic, but how did you choose your username btw?

Its all explained in another thread.look for it.too long to go into.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Sure the TV is black every time I turn it off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Why no Muslim Traveller transexuals? Its a disgrace Joe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

First they had colonialism and you want to foist Hector on them? That’s just cruel.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Geuze wrote: »
    I wonder is there a campaign in the Congo to have more Celts presenting on TV there?

We didn't get a great reception last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

GarIT wrote: »
    Ruth Negga too, and there was a black person in Fair City not too long ago too, worked as a housekeeper

And yer wan on the Angelus looking out the window at Heuston Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

God she was gorgeous. Wasn't she in some girl band beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Chill dude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

No Idea, but Liz is a beautiful woman, no doubt. She is doing work in the UK now as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She is a biochemist and wild animal biologist but did TOTP for a bit.

Advertisement