Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of black presenters on Irish Television

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

According to the CSO (https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8e/)
    There were 10,100 dual Irish nationals who identified themselves as 'Black or Black Irish - African'

That's out of a population of 4,761,865, so that's 0.2%.

Therefore, only 0.2% of Irish people are black.

How many RTE presenters are there?

Let's assume there's 100.

Therefore none of them should be black.

This stupid **** of giving jobs to people just because they're black or female or transgender needs to stop.

Give the job to whoever deserves it, regardless of their skin pigmentation or genitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

There’s a huge lack of black folks on building sites across the nation. I have never seen one in the last few years. Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    There’s a huge lack of black folks on building sites across the nation. I have never seen one in the last few years. Why is this?

I was commenting on this, I worked with a Jamaican on a site, nice lad. His take was the work was too hard, not for him obviously but a lot of his mates said that to him. Funny enough, the only black building worker I ever worked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Chill dude :)

No one remembered that, no? That was the name of her band, don't think they were much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Folmhaim

Ireland's population is about 1.3% black (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Ethnic_groups). That total isn't sorted by age, so the 1.3% includes many black children, or people who are still in college, or who are otherwise not members of the labour force. Realistically, the proportion of the Irish labour force which is black is probably more like 0.8% or thereabouts.

Ergo, if the demographics of Ireland's TV presenters were perfectly commensurate with the population of Ireland as a whole, you would realistically expect to see slightly less than 1 black TV presenter out of every 100 TV presenters (are there even 100 TV presenters in Ireland?), assuming that all ethnic demographics in Ireland pursue careers in television at exactly the same rates.

I'm so tired of young people in Ireland only watching American TV shows and movies, and reading American news, and following American celebrities on social media, who then become convinced that the political realities of Ireland match those of the US exactly. Ireland does not have the same demographic as the USA, and probably never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think you mean discriminate in favour of non white people - no white person has ever been discriminated against in Ireland based on their skin colour.

Twaddle. Discrimination in favour of one is discrimination against the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Folmhaim wrote: »
    Realistically, the proportion of the Irish labour force which is black is probably more like 0.8% or thereabouts.

A black little person it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

leoXX wrote: »
    Former justice Minister Alan Shatter has given his support to a campaign to get more black presenters on Irish television. I think the reason there are so few black presenters on RTE is obvious, one needs to be related to someone who already works there to get a job there. It's crazy the amount of RTE staff who are related to each other. Gerry Ryan's Daughter, Son and Brother work there for example. https://mobile.twitter.com/Alan__Shatter/status/1279655688587927552

Is this the former disgraced former Justice Minister, he was absolutely useless in that portfolio and went out in disgrace like the former AGS Commissioner Callinan. I would take this kite flying exercise via Twitter with a grain of salt if he is involved in any campaign. Is he not retired and playing golf, or drinking Pimms in the back garden listening to BBC radio 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No one remembered that, no? That was the name of her band, don't think they were much good.

Haha I was so confused by your first post, but yeah Googled it and Chill was the name of the band. I could swear Louis Walsh had something to do with them and they plugged them big time on RTE but they crashed and burned. She was the only one to be pulled clear of the wreckage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭trashcan

GarIT wrote: »
    Ruth Negga too, and there was a black person in Fair City not too long ago too, worked as a housekeeper

Phil Lynott, he was another one. And Paul McGrath.

Seriously though, this would only be an issue if there was evidence that lots of people ( or even one person) were being turned down as presenters in RTÉ because of their skin colour. Is there any such evidence ?

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »

Seriously though, this would only be an issue if there was evidence that lots of people ( or even one person) were being turned down as presenters in RTÉ because of their skin colour. Is there any such evidence ?

Evidence?

HE'S A WITCH!!! BUUUUUUUUUUURN HIM!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/3517413/kathryn-thomas-throwback-jason-sherlock-show-rapid-20-years/#:~:text=PRESENTER%20Kathryn%20Thomas%20has%20shared,Sherlock%20back%20in%20the%201990s.

Jason Sherlock was a presenter on this back in the late 90s.
    I am all for a diverse spread of ppl but they should be hired on merit and not on quotas

Is that Halawi lad not doing the lotto, the lad who was locked up in the Middle East?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

RTE needs to take advice from these lads..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaaZsBxWeiQ

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

trashcan wrote: »

Paul McGrath got into the Irish team, because his skill, ability, talents and personality warranted it.

Same can be said for the likes of Phil Babb, Terry Phelan, Stephen Reid, Clinton Morrison, Cyrus Christie, David McGoldrick, Darren Randolph, etc... more besides.

The Irish football National team squad are payed, by the FAI... will there be a thing now of the Irish management have to start looking for black players to select, trawling the lower reaches of the championship or conference or national league as it’s now known ? You could have a perfectly capable, well thought of player, white, from Carlow, over beginning to make a name for himself with Swindon Town, attracting scouts from more established clubs, 15 goals in 12 games... but he gets a call... “ sorry David, listen you are doing great, but keep going, soon hopefully there will be a vacancy but for now erm, you are the wrong color really, but we might call you back”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Strumms wrote: »
    Paul McGrath got into the Irish team, because his skill, ability, talents and personality warranted it.

Same can be said for the likes of Phil Babb, Terry Phelan, Stephen Reid, Clinton Morrison, Cyrus Christie, David McGoldrick, Darren Randolph, etc... more besides.

The Irish football National team squad are payed, by the FAI... will there be a thing now of the Irish management have to start looking for black players to select, trawling the lower reaches of the championship or conference or national league as it’s now known ? You could have a perfectly capable, well thought of player, white, from Carlow, over beginning to make a name for himself with Swindon Town, attracting scouts from more established clubs, 15 goals in 12 games... but he gets a call... “ sorry David, listen you are doing great, but keep going, soon hopefully there will be a vacancy but for now erm, you are the wrong color really, but we might call you black?”.

Perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

The Irish football National team squad are payed, by the FAI... will there be a thing now of the Irish management have to start looking for black players to select, trawling the lower reaches of the championship or conference or national league as it’s now known ? You could have a perfectly capable, well thought of player, white, from Carlow, over beginning to make a name for himself with Swindon Town, attracting scouts from more established clubs, 15 goals in 12 games... but he gets a call... “ sorry David, listen you are doing great, but keep going, soon hopefully there will be a vacancy but for now erm, you are the wrong color really, but we might call you back”.

To be honest Football is not an area you need to worry about,soon enough we will be like the States waiting on a great White hope to represent us.

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    To be honest Football is not an area you need to worry about,soon enough we will be like the States waiting on a great White hope to represent us.

I’m not worried about it, I’m using it as an example.

The premise applies to every sector, industry going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

I’m not worried about it, I’m using it as an example.

The premise applies to every sector, industry going.

Sorry man was just the way i phrased it,i know you aren't worried about it,but mostly just mean football is one area where they won't be able to complain of a lack of diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

That's actually what's happening in other industries.

It's as absurd as your example.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    That's actually what's happening in other industries.

It's as absurd as your example.

Well it shouldn’t be happening, the only absurd thing is that it has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You'll be shunned from polite society with that kind of talk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

What black people are there to take up this role? I didn't know we had white people in a rush to get on our screens either..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Hang on, and this might be my spelling letting me down again,but are we saying that the Joe Dubhy lad on the radio is actually white?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

RTE is not a normal business. It's ran by generations of the same families even though it's publicly funded.
    Any calls for more diversity should be married to stamping out the rampant nepotism in the place. The average Irish person has slim to no chance of getting a job there as is. In fact as I've said before elsewhere someone of a differing ethnicity likely has a better chance than the average Irish person not related to any current employees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 TomRiddle35

Kevin Sharkey used to be on RTE the whole time before. Don't see so much of him these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Kevin Sharkey used to be on RTE the whole time before. Don't see so much of him these days.

He was pretty good too. Megamix?

Bowie wrote: »
    He was pretty good too. Megamix?

Ah yeah megamix, that was a great aul show! Mid 80s I reckon, I remember Stars of Heaven doing a great performance on it. Kevin and Flo McSweeney presented it and they were not bad at all.

So bring back Kevin Sharkey, problem solved

The taxpayer for the most part is what funds RTÉ. Therefore the taxpayer deserves that RTÉ hire the absolute best and most suitable employees across each and every department. Behind the camera, in front of it, in its studios, offices and carpark, wherever.

Fûck quotas, promote fairness, only, best candidate, most suitable candidate.

I never want to see any man or woman, get prepared, get ready, call a cab make their way there hoping they can get hired, dream job, much needed job, whatever... but in this mad scenario being slapped in our laps from the moment our cv hits the hiring managers inbox, we have no chance, why ? Because of their COLOR. Because of our address, color and accent we unknowingly to them pay xx to get their hair done / cut, xx for new shoes / tie, xx for a taxi there and back... but from the moment we press ‘send’ on the email with our CV and application we have ZERO chance of being able to land the job. We will be invited, sorry, ASKED to attend an interview but CANNOT succeed, why ? The law no longer allows us, sorry, US to be successful in our own country. In this scenario our own politicians are preventing us from having even a chance...

• Advertisement

The taxpayer for the most part is what funds RTÉ. Therefore the taxpayer deserves that RTÉ hire the absolute best and most suitable employees across each and every department. Behind the camera, in front of it, in its studios, offices and carpark, wherever.

Fûck quotas, promote fairness, only, best candidate, most suitable candidate.

I never want to see any man or woman, get prepared, get ready, call a cab make their way there hoping they can get hired, dream job, much needed job, whatever... but in this mad scenario being slapped in our laps from the moment our cv hits the hiring managers inbox, we have no chance, why ? Because of their COLOR. Because of our address, color and accent we unknowingly to them pay xx to get their hair done / cut, xx for new shoes / tie, xx for a taxi there and back... but from the moment we press ‘send’ on the email with our CV and application we have ZERO chance of being able to land the job. We will be invited, sorry, ASKED to attend an interview but CANNOT succeed, why ? The law no longer allows us, sorry, US to be successful in our own country. In this scenario our own politicians are preventing us from having even a chance...

Alright relax there Enoch, this is a hypothetical situation they're talking about.

Advertisement