Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Lack of black presenters on Irish Television

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,225 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's not like Virgin Media are any better. The last time I've seen a black presenter there was when Samantha Mumba stood in on the Six O Clock show last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

flazio wrote: »
    It's not like Virgin Media are any better. The last time I've seen a black presenter there was when Samantha Mumba stood in on the Six O Clock show last year.

Virgin media have a higher percentage of man hating dragons, I wouldn't be too fast to follow their blueprint, should be called ITV Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,747 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Alright relax there Enoch, this is a hypothetical situation they're talking about.

Quite relaxed, I don’t need your permission to contribute to the discussion, hypothetical or otherwise.. at least I managed to contribute a little more whether you agree , disagree or otherwise than “relax Enoch”.... you’d want to take your own advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,607 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Strumms wrote: »
    The taxpayer for the most part is what funds RTÉ. Therefore the taxpayer deserves that RTÉ hire the absolute best and most suitable employees across each and every department. Behind the camera, in front of it, in its studios, offices and carpark, wherever.

Fûck quotas, promote fairness, only, best candidate, most suitable candidate.

I never want to see any man or woman, get prepared, get ready, call a cab make their way there hoping they can get hired, dream job, much needed job, whatever... but in this mad scenario being slapped in our laps from the moment our cv hits the hiring managers inbox, we have no chance, why ? Because of their COLOR. Because of our address, color and accent we unknowingly to them pay xx to get their hair done / cut, xx for new shoes / tie, xx for a taxi there and back... but from the moment we press ‘send’ on the email with our CV and application we have ZERO chance of being able to land the job. We will be invited, sorry, ASKED to attend an interview but CANNOT succeed, why ? The law no longer allows us, sorry, US to be successful in our own country. In this scenario our own politicians are preventing us from having even a chance...

Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that post seems quite hysterical.

People don't get hired for jobs for all sorts of unfair reasons - it's always been the way. The amount of people who lose out because they're an Irish person - or at least a white Irish person - at the expense of someone from a different background who is less qualified is pretty negligible. The amount of people who don't find work because of their colour or their background is far greater.

Anecdotal of course, but I have a friend whose father is Algerian and, as a result, he has an Algerian surname. He had far more success with interviews and job offers once he decided to go by his mother's Irish maiden name when looking for work. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

leoXX wrote: »
    Former justice Minister Alan Shatter has given his support to a campaign to get more black presenters on Irish television. I think the reason there are so few black presenters on RTE is obvious, one needs to be related to someone who already works there to get a job there. It's crazy the amount of RTE staff who are related to each other. Gerry Ryan's Daughter, Son and Brother work there for example. https://mobile.twitter.com/Alan__Shatter/status/1279655688587927552

You have a point. Im glad Alan Shatter has brought it up though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

riginally Posted by Strumms View Post
    The taxpayer for the most part is what funds RTÉ. Therefore the taxpayer deserves that RTÉ hire the absolute best and most suitable employees across each and every department. Behind the camera, in front of it, in its studios, offices and carpark, wherever.

Have you seen the state of the quality on RTE currently?? Are we supposed to take this post seriously???

We don't get the best people we get ****e people in the club...everyone knows it. There is a lack of creativity complete stagnation and god knows where all the funds go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Quite relaxed, I don’t need your permission to contribute to the discussion, hypothetical or otherwise.. at least I managed to contribute a little more whether you agree , disagree or otherwise than “relax Enoch”.... you’d want to take your own advice.

You sound relaxed alright. Not worked up at all in that post with all the capitalised letters and hysterical paranoia about the blacks stealing jobs. Still. Would hate to hear what you're like when you are worked up. And about actual things that are actually happening instead of made up things that aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

As long as we don't get as bad in America when it comes to our acting and presenting roles we should be ok.

Over here we are talking about increasing diversity in RTE, over there you have white voice actors quitting roles because of their skin color, or acting roles being turn down because of sexuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some more from the account mentioned in the OP
    it’s 2020 the whole world is going through a lockdown and is in chaos due to racism.if your not ready to bring more diversity to our irish tv screens then when will you be ready?
    It appears it's possible to cure racism by hiring this guy. He needs to work on his grammar.
    Start internships programs,Aprenternships and work experience in the media Tv presenting etc.
    ✅Having More Guest speakers on your shows from different backgrounds
    ✅Have Talent Days and open audition
    ✅Talk about the REAL racism
    It is unclear what REAL racism is but I doubt he is talking about Travellers.
    In the Whole of Ireland we only have 1 tv presenter of colour.If the Irish media companies were serious about diversity they would provide opportunity’s through internships and work experience.If we don’t get diversity in the Irish media now then when will we?
    How many are needed before racism is cured? We don't know but I'm sure it's many.
    Since I was a young I always wanted to be a tv presenter in Ireland.I want to make history in Ireland as the first ever black Male tv presenter.But how can we reach this historic goal if there are no programs in place?
    Good luck, I am sure he will not give up easily and one day will be the first male black presenter on RTE.
    But he is on an early start to typecast himself as the race-cast guy.
    Did he get the job on own merits or the colour of his skin? This will always follow him, particularly after this twitter stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I never want to see any man or woman, get prepared, get ready, call a cab make their way there hoping they can get hired, dream job, much needed job, whatever... but in this mad scenario being slapped in our laps from the moment our cv hits the hiring managers inbox, we have no chance, why ? Because of their COLOR. Because of our address, color and accent we unknowingly to them pay xx to get their hair done / cut, xx for new shoes / tie, xx for a taxi there and back... but from the moment we press ‘send’ on the email with our CV and application we have ZERO chance of being able to land the job. We will be invited, sorry, ASKED to attend an interview but CANNOT succeed, why ? The law no longer allows us, sorry, US to be successful in our own country. In this scenario our own politicians are preventing us from having even a chance...

The Licence Fee and Advertising revenue mainly fund RTE....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

tryfix wrote: »
    The Licence Fee and Advertising revenue mainly fund RTE....
    Yes, RTÉ was set up to be dual-funded, with the idea being that roughly half of its money would come from the television licence fee and half from advertising.

In 2018, advertising pulled in €150 million, and out of the €221 million collected from the current TV licence system €189 million went to RTÉ.

This gave RTÉ total revenue of €339.1 million 2018. Its total operating costs, however, were €339.8 million, and once a depreciation and amortisation charge and other factors were taken into account, it made a loss of €13 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

There's only one black tv presenter in Ireland? I thought there was more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Cordell

Going by the current demographics even with 1 they are over-represented way ahead of the non Irish whites that outnumbers them by 10:1. Where's the polish presenters? It should be quite a few of them, or since they're white they are not worthy enough to be considered a non-represented minority?

We can have 20 Polish, 20 African presenters, brilliant,, but as long as when those positions are being advertised, from the application process, to the interview, to the selection process... EVERYONE has the same fair and equal opportunity and is selected on ability, experience, qualifications... not ethnicity or color... if it happens to be.. one white Irish guy, one white Irish girl, one white Armenian guy and two black people of African descent? Great, brilliant, as long as they are in the process the 1,2,3,4,5 ‘best’ candidates past the post.. they deserve the positions, deserved on merit, not by virtue of their ethnicity. Ethnicity should not qualify you for anything. First past the post... best most suitable candidates... fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

biko wrote: »
    Some more from the account mentioned in the OP

It appears it's possible to cure racism by hiring this guy. He needs to work on his grammar.

It is unclear what REAL racism is but I doubt he is talking about Travellers.

How many are needed before racism is cured? We don't know but I'm sure it's many.

Good luck, I am sure he will not give up easily and one day will be the first male black presenter on RTE.
    But he is on an early start to typecast himself as the race-cast guy.
    Did he get the job on own merits or the colour of his skin? This will always follow him, particularly after this twitter stunt.

All of which pretty much confirms my opinion of BLM, that it's a movement which only pays lip service to equality, it's really just a very obvious grift by a bunch of entitled race hustlers demanding gibs, influence and high paying jobs that they can't be arsed working to aquire in a meritocratic manner.
    People need to spend less time bending the knee to these clowns and more time telling them to get bent.

I'm pretty sure that there's a word for the sort of people that demand positions of privilege and power in society based solely on the colour of their skin.. but I just can't think of it right now..

conorhal wrote: »
    All of which pretty much confirms my opinion of BLM, that it's a movement which only pays lip service to equality, it's really just a very obvious grift by a bunch of entitled race hustlers demanding gibs, influence and high paying jobs that they can't be arsed working to aquire in a meritocratic manner.
    People need to spend less time bending the knee to these clowns and more time telling them to get bent.

I'm pretty sure that there's a word for the sort of people that demand positions of privilege and power in society based solely on the colour of their skin.. but I just can't think of it right now..

Precisely, there is nothing ‘equal’ about any of it.

Advertisement