Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calorie deficit

• 05-07-2020 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, probably a very silly question but here goes.

So since January, I’ve lost 1 stone at 10lbs. I use an Apple Watch to track my activity everyday and myfitnesspal for food.

Over this last three weeks, I’ve really upped my walking for a variety of reasons, it helps with back pains I suffer from and general heart health. I have been walking anywhere from 5-12kms a day.

This week, I had what I thought was a huge calorie deficit of 5840 calories. However when I weighed myself Friday, I had lost no weight from the previous week. I was gutted. I thought maybe I was just bloated that morning but have weighed myself the last two mornings and it’s reading me up a pound.

Anybody have any ideas where I’m going wrong?? I’m tracking every morsel I eat, I weight all spreads, milk in tea etc. Literally everything gets weighed and tracked. Very disheartening as I have at least another stone to lose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anybody have any ideas where I’m going wrong??
    You're not going wrong. Like, at all. In fact, you're doing the opposite, you've lost a stone and 10lbs since Jan - that's an average of about a pound a week which is considered a perfectly sustainable rate of weight loss. Don't let one supposed "bad" weigh in get you down, it could be down to any number of factors. You're going in the right direction so my advice would be to keep going and doing what you're doing.
    The only other thing I would add is just to make sure you recalculate your maintenance calorie needs about every month. The more weight you lose the less calories you'll then need to maintain that weight (or to further drop weight). So you don't want to end up in a situation where you're taking in the same amount of calories each day as you did back a few months ago as that amount of calories will essentially now be your maintenance calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hey guys, probably a very silly question but here goes.

So since January, I’ve lost 1 stone at 10lbs. I use an Apple Watch to track my activity everyday and myfitnesspal for food.

Over this last three weeks, I’ve really upped my walking for a variety of reasons, it helps with back pains I suffer from and general heart health. I have been walking anywhere from 5-12kms a day.

This week, I had what I thought was a huge calorie deficit of 5840 calories. However when I weighed myself Friday, I had lost no weight from the previous week. I was gutted. I thought maybe I was just bloated that morning but have weighed myself the last two mornings and it’s reading me up a pound.

Anybody have any ideas where I’m going wrong?? I’m tracking every morsel I eat, I weight all spreads, milk in tea etc. Literally everything gets weighed and tracked. Very disheartening as I have at least another stone to lose.

It's only three days so it still may just be water retention and it might be the time of your cycle. You're doing everything right so don't lose heart over three days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Thanks guys!

I’ll keep chipping away and hopefully it’ll show in the next week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks guys!

I’ll keep chipping away and hopefully it’ll show in the next week or two.

Do. The body is a funny thing. It's not always linear and will bounce a bit depending on different things. The time of the month is a big one that messes with women as well because of the hormonal changes. Don't stress about it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Do. The body is a funny thing. It's not always linear and will bounce a bit depending on different things. The time of the month is a big one that messes with women as well because of the hormonal changes. Don't stress about it anyway.

This the body is not a machine.

And its probably water weight. You can keep it on a few days or a week even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Keep it up. Sometimes it can take a few days or even a week for you to loose weight. I have had that happen where I have nothing for two weeks and then it all come together.

You are doing really well. So don't get disheartened.

Thanks guys! Ye have all helped me stay motivated this week. I’m thinking of not weighing myself this week at all and putting it off a week so I’m not getting obsessed with scales.

Cake Man wrote: »
    You're not going wrong. Like, at all. In fact, you're doing the opposite, you've lost a stone and 10lbs since Jan - that's an average of about a pound a week which is considered a perfectly sustainable rate of weight loss. Don't let one supposed "bad" weigh in get you down, it could be down to any number of factors. You're going in the right direction so my advice would be to keep going and doing what you're doing.
    The only other thing I would add is just to make sure you recalculate your maintenance calorie needs about every month. The more weight you lose the less calories you'll then need to maintain that weight (or to further drop weight). So you don't want to end up in a situation where you're taking in the same amount of calories each day as you did back a few months ago as that amount of calories will essentially now be your maintenance calories.

Just on this. Thank you for a great pointer. I recalculated and my daily calorie intake went from 1320 to 1240. Not a massive difference but over the course of a week or two, it would definitely slow things down. I will now do this every couple of weeks but hoping it doesn’t go much lower as I don’t want to start finding myself hungry.

Advertisement