Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest upgrade to VR?

Options
  • 06-07-2020 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Current Summary
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz
    RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
    GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
    Storage: 250GB SSD & 1TB Sata HDD

Hey folks,
    the above is my old desktop that I'm looking to upgrade (as cheaply as I can) to run my VIVE (which I'm currently running from a gaming laptop).

As I reckon it, it's all grand except the graphic card.
    And as there's been quite a bit of water under the bridge since the VIVE came out, there must be some cheap options I can upgrade with, right?

Any clues/suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well, the platform is old enough that ideally for VR/latest games you would want a full new system. There's no easy answer to make that VR ready.

If you want minimum effort - GTX1660 Super is €250, 2nd hand i7-4770 is about €100 if you look around, 16GB of ram another €60 or so.

The i5 will work, but in many games you will get framedrops or stuttering, which is not ideal in VR.

I would say at this point it is time to just sell the old PC for €300 or whatever and get a new system. €800 would build you a very decent, mid-range system that would be twice as powerful as your current setup with all the latest bells and whistles as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Homelander wrote: »
    I would say at this point it is time to just sell the old PC for €300 or whatever and get a new system. €800 would build you a very decent, mid-range system that would be twice as powerful as your current setup with all the latest bells and whistles as well.
    Humm, sound advice. I was hoping to avoid the new build cause I'll never do it for €800; I'll get carried away....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

but for €30 more I can get a better graphics card and for €40 more I can double my storage...

we've all been down that route

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Buying to a budget is easy.

Resisting constant upgrades is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

SOUaBiP.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement