Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Carrigaline and Glanmire

Options
  • 06-07-2020 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm house hunting, and the same places keep coming up that are affordable and not falling down for under €250k.

Are they nice places to live? Is traffic in and out an absolute nightmare?
    Its for my young family, my son has special needs so it needs to be somewhere safe. Glanmire would be ideal location as he currently goes to school in mayfield and his next school will be in glanmire but I see alot of houses for sale there which has me skeptical.

I'd appreciate any honest opinions on both places.

Thanks

Comments

rob316 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm house hunting, and the same places keep coming up that are affordable and not falling down for under €250k.

Its for my young family, my son has special needs so it needs to be somewhere safe. Glanmire would be ideal location as he currently goes to school in mayfield and his next school will be in glanmire but I see alot of houses for sale there which has me skeptical.

Thanks

I can't comment on Glanmire but the traffic in and out of Carrigaline is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can't comment on Glanmire but the traffic in and out of Carrigaline is a nightmare.

That's what I'm thinking too, the road infrastructure just isn't there for the level of building going on down there.

That's what I'm thinking too, the road infrastructure just isn't there for the level of building going on down there.

No, it's an old country road that just can't cope with the population boom. The motorway to Ringaskiddy will alleviate a lot of the congestion but God knows when that will actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

How about Knockraha or Watergrasshill? About 10 minutes away from Glanmire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Good shout on Watergrasshill, the Centra just upgraded and there seems to be a bit of investment there recently, new school too. Choices of roads depending where to into the city too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭greyday

A lot of people in Glanmire selling up to move to new Estate currently nearing completion on the outskirts of the Village.
    Try to stay away from Local Authority estates down there and you should be grand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/glanmire/24-the-maples-castlejane-wood-glanmire-cork-2587226/

Very nice estate in Glanmire, 239k, but only 2 bedrooms which might be an issue but it really is immaculate and would be perfect for you if you only need 2 bedrooms!

https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/glanmire/10-oakfield-drive-glanmire-cork-2595088/

3 bed semi in Oakfield, which is a couple of minutes walk from the Schools.

Back in Castlejane, there is a 3 bed but a little over your budget, much nicer garden though and is about 10 minute walk to the schools.

https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/glanmire/1-the-alders-castlejane-wood-glanmire-cork-2589866/

And a nice 3 bed Bungalow in Hazelwood which is just down from Oakfield and more or less 2 minutes from the Super Valu.

https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/glanmire/17-hazelwood-drive-glanmire-cork-2260623/

Glanmire is a very nice location and only down the hill from Mayfield. It is well spread out which helps with the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If your son will be in school in Glanmire then Carrigaline probably isn't the best option. Driving up and negotiating the tunnel daily would get old fast. Plus bear in mind the Dunkettle scheme and M28 construction over the conning decade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As above, if he is going to school in Glanmire, you can't really consider a move to Carrigaline. Honestly, it would take you an hour in the morning at least as you would be going through traffic blackspots, an hour back and over and back again in the afternoon.
    Watergrasshill is only down the motorway from Glanmire, a nice alternative. Knockraha is also an option but the road isn't great.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to look at a few in glanmire and also saw a couple in Carrigtwohill I liked. I think those are the closest to the city in our range.

These one in particular really caught my eye. https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/carrigtwohill/38-an-faill-cl-rd-carrigtwohill-cork-2588440/

The draw for carrigaline to be honest would be the close proximity to the sea but ya the traffic is ridiculous others have told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to look at a few in glanmire and also saw a couple in Carrigtwohill I liked. I think those are the closest to the city in our range.

These one in particular really caught my eye. https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/carrigtwohill/38-an-faill-cl-rd-carrigtwohill-cork-2588440/

The draw for carrigaline to be honest would be the close proximity to the sea but ya the traffic is ridiculous others have told me.

Carrigtwohill is handy with the train station. There's loads of beaches etc in East Cork. Garryvoe (amongst others) about a 20 minute drive away.

That's a very nice house. Carrigtwohill is a grand spot, not too far from Glanmire.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Avoid Cul Ard. Trust me.

Avoid Cul Ard. Trust me.

Could you explain why?

Plenty of beaches not too far from Carrigtwohill as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I'd expand the search to other less talked about places
    • Carrigtwohill
    • Cobh
    • Blarney
    • Watergrasshill
    • Passage West

Could you explain why?

I lived there and hated it, you will not get a moments peace, not a single moment of quiet from 6am, to 5.59am. But I hate noise, and children (and their parents who don't work) anyway so we may be two polar opposites.... However, a friend of mine with three young kids wants to move out of there, because of the other kids in the estate. Huge problems on the way there in the next few years he reckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

sozbox wrote: »
    • Carrigtwohill
    • Cobh
    • Blarney
    • Watergrasshill
    • Passage West

Passage west ?! Please tell me of the positives of living in passage west, never mind the fact he needs access to Mayfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Passage west ?! Please tell me of the positives of living in passage west, never mind the fact he needs access to Mayfield?

aright aright passage was a stretch :D

but i stand over the others

I lived there and hated it, you will not get a moments peace, not a single moment of quiet from 6am, to 5.59am. But I hate noise, and children (and their parents who don't work) anyway so we may be two polar opposites.... However, a friend of mine with three young kids wants to move out of there, because of the other kids in the estate. Huge problems on the way there in the next few years he reckons.

I live in the city centre, I have drunken students roaring outside most nights. It doesn't bother me in the slightest so what your describing would be quiet to me!

• Advertisement

I live in the city centre, I have drunken students roaring outside most nights. It doesn't bother me in the slightest so what your describing would be quiet to me!

You say that now ;)

I lived in town, and not far from glasheen Road also, give me either before cul ard!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Drunken students are transient, they move on.

Shıtty neighbours and their spawn you could have those for a lifetime, day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi

Thanks

Carrigaline- traffic an absolute nightmare TBH,
    + Side near park, shops, beach, rough elements from Woodview and a few other places, on the whole it's not bad, great library

Today was the worst in years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

we have an aldi now boi!!

sozbox wrote: »
    • Carrigtwohill
    • Cobh
    • Blarney
    • Watergrasshill
    • Passage West

Passage a no no

Road to Cork

Road to Cork

I wouldn't fancy going from Passage to Glanmire on a school run.
    How about White's cross? Not far from Glanmire and rural at the same time?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And a nice 3 bed Bungalow in Hazelwood which is just down from Oakfield and more or less 2 minutes from the Super Valu.

https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/glanmire/17-hazelwood-drive-glanmire-cork-2260623/

Glanmire is a very nice location and only down the hill from Mayfield. It is well spread out which helps with the traffic.

I lived a few doors up from this house back in the 1980s. The pictures of the rooms brought back a lot of memories of our own house. My parents left Glanmire at the end of the 80s because there wasn't a whole lot there at the time. I wouldn't recognise Glanmire now with all the changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Well if people are citing an improved Centra as a main reason to move to Watergrasshill then Passage shouldn't be ignored :)
    As ACitizenErased said, there is an Aldi there now (also a nice Bean & Leaf) and a lovely greenway along the Lee. Granted traffic can me fairly horrible as the OP would make their way to the tunnel.

Advertisement