Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Carrigaline and Glanmire

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

we have an aldi now boi!!

And that's it, definitely God bypassed the gaff,as most sensible ppl do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Well if people are citing an improved Centra as a main reason to move to Watergrasshill then Passage shouldn't be igored :)
    As ACitizenErased said, there is an Aldi there now (also a nice Bean & Leaf) and a lovely greenway along the Lee. Granted traffic can me fairly horrible as the OP would make their way to the tunnel.

Ah jaysus there's a massive difference between watergrasshill and passage. Ignore!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Road to Cork

And fast

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

rob316 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm house hunting, and the same places keep coming up that are affordable and not falling down for under €250k.

Are they nice places to live? Is traffic in and out an absolute nightmare?
    Its for my young family, my son has special needs so it needs to be somewhere safe. Glanmire would be ideal location as he currently goes to school in mayfield and his next school will be in glanmire but I see alot of houses for sale there which has me skeptical.

I'd appreciate any honest opinions on both places.

Thanks

Hi rob 316, PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And that's it, definitely God bypassed the gaff,as most sensible ppl do

This is like an inspiration for a Waterford Whispers News headline.

Carrigaline resident dubs Passage West a shíthole :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

Glanmire is probably the safest suburb up the north side, it has some great GAA clubs and some parts of it are actually quite affluent.The bus frequency into the city isn't great and cycling infrastructure is non existent but anyone I know living there seem content.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Usir wrote: »
    Glanmire is probably the safest suburb up the north side, it has some great GAA clubs and some parts of it are actually quite affluent.The bus frequency into the city isn't great and cycling infrastructure is non existent but anyone I know living there seem content.

consider Passage where you can cycle alongside the river and ambling through Blackrock before arriving at the Marina in the city. When it comes to affluence sure your health is your wealth. Passage really is the real jewel in the heart of the Cork Riveriera ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭kisugem

rob316 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm house hunting, and the same places keep coming up that are affordable and not falling down for under €250k.

Are they nice places to live? Is traffic in and out an absolute nightmare?
    Its for my young family, my son has special needs so it needs to be somewhere safe. Glanmire would be ideal location as he currently goes to school in mayfield and his next school will be in glanmire but I see alot of houses for sale there which has me skeptical.

I'd appreciate any honest opinions on both places.

Thanks

Where did you end up at the end and how do you find it there? May help others considering the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Had to live in Carrigaline for a few months.

Couldn't ****ing wait to get out of there. I'm young with no family, so my perspective is totally skewed, but the place is textbook suburban hell to me.

Best thing about it is proximity to beaches etc but that's it.

I know this is not really useful info, but I'll take any excuse to shhit on the place!

Had to live in Carrigaline for a few months.

Couldn't ****ing wait to get out of there. I'm young with no family, so my perspective is totally skewed, but the place is textbook suburban hell to me.

Best thing about it is proximity to beaches etc but that's it.

I know this is not really useful info, but I'll take any excuse to shhit on the place!

It's a kip in parts,local yokels are just that yokels,gangs hanging around causing hassle always at weekends and evenings,gardai haven't got a handle at all here,we'd a prostitute selling heroin across from us for years until cluid housing association got their act together,plus another looper getting his match my orders atm(post covid-19)
    Plus dideyis great GA club and good soccer club keeping a lot of terms busy, plenty of ppl in pyjamas wandering around after midday,that's an honest opinion

• Advertisement

consider Passage where you can cycle alongside the river and ambling through Blackrock before arriving at the Marina in the city. When it comes to affluence sure your health is your wealth. Passage really is the real jewel in the heart of the Cork Riveriera ;)

Most bypassed village/ town in ireland,place that time forgot,and the co council and government certainly did

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

kisugem wrote: »
    Where did you end up at the end and how do you find it there? May help others considering the same.

I've actually stayed put and threw a bit of money into a small renovation of my 2 bed I have and that will tide me over for a couple years till the new arrival needs his own room. I got so fed up of bidding and some of the houses listed they have absolutely no intention of selling at that price even if there isn't bids.
    2 years with a bigger budget and hopefully lower demand I should have more luck.

Most bypassed village/ town in ireland,place that time forgot,and the co council and government certainly did

the only way is up :)

Some great ordinary ppl living there but ffs village needs a lick of paint etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just to chuck my oar in - bought in Glanmire having previously lived in Cul Ard. Interesting point made about the noise, I never noticed it too much myself, however there are a lot of children around and with the size of the estate and the general age profile it'll be interesting to hear how that place turns out when those kids turn into teenagers and have little to do around the area. I had heard Glanmire has had a bit of trouble previously with that however I think a big selling point for me was the size of the development I've moved to it's a good size & not overcrowded. Ballinglanna is a massive development which may cause traffic problems in Glanmire going forward, that said the bus route will go via this estate and the road works thus far seem to be improving the area and integrating it into the city a bit more so interested to see how it pans out but couldn't speak highly enough of the area (though admittedly still in the honeymoon period)

Some great ordinary ppl living there but ffs village needs a lick of paint etc

funny you say that because some of the buildings in the town have recently been painted, Cllr Marcia Dalton is very active on such things and her Facebook page shows the various improvements. Ideally some of the buildings need to be knocked/redeveloped but who is going to deliver the cash?

It's an awful sh1thole..... An Aldi & a coffee shop across from a housing estate is essentially the heartbeat of the place.

I visit often enough as I've relatives buried there.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Anyone here live or know of anybody who lives in and around Elmgrove, Sallybrook Glanmire, looking to hear a few thoughts and opinions?

Any opinions on Riverstown in Glanmire?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Glanmire is a grand spot in general. Riverstown is near all the supermarkets and Crestfield shopping centre so most of what you need is walkable. The downside to that though there is often groups of teenagers hanging around but they are never any trouble to be honest (other than littering :rolleyes: ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mutul8

Klopp wrote: »
    Anyone here live or know of anybody who lives in and around Elmgrove, Sallybrook Glanmire, looking to hear a few thoughts and opinions?

Lived in Hayville for 6-7 years . which is just next to Elmgrove . It is a quiet enough spot . You definitely need a car living there as it is a bit far from the supermarkets.

Haven't lived there since 2016 though so not sure if anything has changed

I am also looking at a new development in Watergrasshill? The location seems ok, next to the M8 and only 5 minutes from the tunnel.

Advertisement