Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football and Covid 19

Comments

daheff wrote: »
    I think there needs to be 25 rounds played and then places are on a ppg basis.

25 rounds is towards end Feb....be surprised to see it get that far...but who knows.

Is that set in stone though? Not sure it was actually agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

adaminho wrote: »

No way imo should PL footballers receive vaccinations over vulnerable people, elderly or frontline workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hard to see a break not coming at this stage.

Few more clubs get serious break and no other choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

titan18 wrote: »
    No way imo should PL footballers receive vaccinations over vulnerable people, elderly or frontline workers.

The UK are going to ramp up to 2 million vaccinations a week. To vaccinate the 2000 footballers causes very little delay and will free up finances to donate to the NHS as Dyche says.

It does make sense when you think about it as for very little delay you do give hundred of thousands of people a social aspect when they can still watch games which can help keep up peoples spirits and improve mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

The UK are going to ramp up to 2 million vaccinations a week. To vaccinate the 2000 footballers causes very little delay and will free up finances to donate to the NHS as Dyche says.

It does make sense when you think about it as for very little delay you do give hundred of thousands of people a social aspect when they can still watch games which can help keep up peoples spirits and improve mental health.

While it makes sense for football, it doesn't for society.

You then start getting into the situation where money puts you to the front of the queue.

Should Man City's (or insert your club of choice) millions get them a vaccine ahead of a little old dear in a nursing home who is much more likely to die from Covid than Pep??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

You then start getting into the situation where money puts you to the front of the queue.

Should Man City's (or insert your club of choice) millions get them a vaccine ahead of a little old dear in a nursing home who is much more likely to die from Covid than Pep??

Exactly,Especially after the carry on of some City players over the Christmas flouting covid restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Without going down the whole anti-vax conspiracy crap, would a lot of footballers or their employers want the players taking a vaccine just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

niallo27 wrote: »
    Without going down the whole anti-vax conspiracy crap, would a lot of footballers or their employers want the players taking a vaccine just yet.

yes.

But football provides an outlet for society and helps keeps spirits up, and at the rate of roll out that little old dear is going to get her vaccine a few hours later if a footballer jumps ahead of her in the queue.

Id say the reason that football is still ongoing while so many other facilities are shut is there is a clear benefit to society.

• Advertisement

yes.

I don't know, its a pretty wide band of people to get it. No everyone is 100% on getting this vaccine straight away. Not my personal opinion, just what I am thinking.

I don't know, its a pretty wide band of people to get it. No everyone is 100% on getting this vaccine straight away. Not my personal opinion, just what I am thinking.

with potential damage to lungs and long term impacts of Covid, I can see them absolutely wanting to protect themselves and their jobs.

with potential damage to lungs and long term impacts of Covid, I can see them absolutely wanting to protect themselves and their jobs.

Maybe maybe, I am just saying i can't see a 100% uptake from players.

Maybe maybe, I am just saying i can't see a 100% uptake from players.

no, you asked if a lot of footballers and their employers want them to be getting the vaccine.

The answer is yes.

If 10% thought differently, the answer is still yes.

The % of people who have good reason to not take the vaccine is small.
    The % of people opposed to it for poor reasons is also small (but amazingly vocal about it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There is definitely some footballers that are anti-vaxxers. Maybe they would have to change their stance if the employer makes it mandatory.

Even in other sports, there were some public anti-vaxxers like Novak Djokovic.

But football provides an outlet for society and helps keeps spirits up, and at the rate of roll out that little old dear is going to get her vaccine a few hours later if a footballer jumps ahead of her in the queue.

Id say the reason that football is still ongoing while so many other facilities are shut is there is a clear benefit to society.

I'd wager the public would prefer to give up football than have their granny die of Covid.

• Advertisement

I'd wager the public would prefer to give up football than have their granny die of Covid.

That is the most overused and stupidest argument ever, it's not a choice. I'd wager the public would shut down every job in the country to save an individual family member as well, but we are not going do that are we.

That is the most overused and stupidest argument ever, it's not a choice.

But absolutely it is the choice we've been talking about the last page or so.. and why football players shouldn't get Covid vaccine ahead of vulnerable, at risk people.

But absolutely it is the choice we've been talking about the last page or so.. and why football players shouldn't get Covid vaccine ahead of vulnerable, at risk people.

Apologies, I thought you were talking about the societal impact of football not the vaccine side of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Why don't the PL just buy the vaccines for themselves and pay a big premium to pfizer and bypass the UK government. Or has Covid also shut down freedom to sell and buy?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Again, the UK are planning on vaccinating 1million people a week. Vaccinating the 2500 people involved in football would delay grannies vaccine by about an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Why don't the PL just buy the vaccines for themselves and pay a big premium to pfizer and bypass the UK government. Or has Covid also shut down freedom to sell and buy?

Even if they could, it would look reeeeaaalllly bad, and kill public support.

Buying up a thing that saves lives and is in huge demand but short supply. Every dose they bought would be a dose taken directly away from someone who needed it more.

Reckon it’d be more damaging than rewarding.

Again, the UK are planning on vaccinating 1million people a week. Vaccinating the 2500 people involved in football would delay grannies vaccine by about an hour.

2million a week even !!

It only delays the grannies by an hour if there are spare vaccine doses available. At the moment there aren't spares available.
    UK aren't even going to follow the manufacturer advice on dosing people 2 times in 21 days as they haven't got enough doses yet.

There are lots of reasons why footballers should be high up the list, but morally the shouldn't as they are among the least likely to badly suffer from Covid.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Even if they could, it would look reeeeaaalllly bad, and kill public support.

Buying up a thing that saves lives and is in huge demand but short supply. Every dose they bought would be a dose taken directly away from someone who needed it more.

Reckon it’d be more damaging than rewarding.

But it wouldn't take away from someone in the UK. Compared with the cost of another lockdown I think the PR cost would be well worth it. I doubt very much that there would be any hit on income whatsoever.

But if they had to suspend football again then the financial cost would likely be huge as some competition, whether Euros or domestic cups would have to be cancelled.

This isn't an easy PR win like BLM or women's football where the cost of being involved is minimal so they may as well just look good and support it. The vaccines could have a real effect on the bottom lines.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

The NHS is under serious pressure in the UK. Restrictions don't appear to be working.

Is there a break coming for sport? They need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

What the government say they're going to do and what they're actually doing are two different things. Not wanting to get into the politics of the matter, but such claims of immediate large scale vaccinations in reality will take that bit longer to get up and running.

I work with patients in the UK and while some healthworkers have gotten the vaccine already, many of us are in limbo, witnessing the organisational woes that go hand in hand with trying to arrange such a huge vaccination roll-out. Best guess at the moment it'll be Feb/March before my colleagues and i get ours. It wouldn't sit well that footballers skipped the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would probably be the worst PR disaster ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

6 wrote: »
    The NHS is under serious pressure in the UK. Restrictions don't appear to be working.

Is there a break coming for sport? They need one.

The European competitions should be cancelled imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

brevity wrote: »

Why, for what just appears to be a UK issue at this moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

French teams are out anyway if it involves playing team from UK.

ongarite wrote: »
    French teams are out anyway if it involves playing team from UK.

Only Lille left in the Europa, earliest they can play a UK team is 11th March.
    PSG left in Champions League, can't play an English team until mid April.

So no immediate problem, and things hopefully be different by March. Even if it comes up Lille v Arsenal/Rangers/Leicester I suspect a workaround would be agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Why, for what just appears to be a UK issue at this moment?

:confused:

I might be misunderstanding you but it spreads really easily. I would imagine the clubs are being careful but travel to different countries seems irresponsible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Only Lille left in the Europa, earliest they can play a UK team is 11th March.
    PSG left in Champions League, can't play an English team until mid April.

So no immediate problem, and things hopefully be different by March. Even if it comes up Lille v Arsenal/Rangers/Leicester I suspect a workaround would be agreed.

Neutral venues maybe. Football at this level will continue. Not really in doubt with regular testing and the money involved.

:confused:

I might be misunderstanding you but it spreads really easily. I would imagine the clubs are being careful but travel to different countries seems irresponsible to me.

Yeah, I phrased it badly.
    I meant that only the UK seems to see this as an imminent crisis and are discussing a 'stop' to the sport. The other nations seem happy to continue playing football including the Euro competitions. So it's unlikely at this moment that UEFA would see the need the stop the competitions.
    Obviously it's a flux situation and attitudes could change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Spurs Villa game looks to be off this week so Premier League looking to move the cancelled Fulham game into that space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Ill chortle my own liathróidí if the UK get anywhere near those figures on any given day.

Are you still swallowing things that their current government say?

Footballers should just have to wait unfortunately. Its the right thing to do.

LeBash wrote: »
    Ill chortle my own liathróidí if the UK get anywhere near those figures on any given day.

Are you still swallowing things that their current government say?

Footballers should just have to wait unfortunately. Its the right thing to do.

No, but even if they only vaccinate half that then the delay caused by footballer won't be huge.

130,000 people were done in the first week of the vaccinations there. And companies are ramping up the vaccine production so that should increase.

I am not necessarily saying i agree with jumping footballers to the front of the queue. But there is definitely an argument that can be made for it. Id also say an argument could be made to jump rugby up the queue as well.

the big difference for me in the latest lockdowns compared to the first is that sport has been ongoing. It has definitely helped keep my spirits up, keep me at home a bit more and more willing to follow the rules. A lot of people are getting lockdown burnout and anything to combat that is a good thing.

They should call it quits for 2 or 3 weeks. Review then.

Also, move the Euros

End the league now, award on a PPG basis. its the only moral thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

ongarite wrote: »
    Spurs Villa game looks to be off this week so Premier League looking to move the cancelled Fulham game into that space

Feel a bit bad for Fulham as they will be going into a game with less preparation than they might normally have.

But moving the Villa-Spurs game is the only correct thing to do given the precedent that has been set by Newcastle, Man City and Fulham themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

6 wrote: »
    They should call it quits for 2 or 3 weeks. Review then.

Also, move the Euros

Yes, move the Euros just to suit of the PL. Despite the fact that no other leagues will be shutting down any time soon.

Yes, move the Euros just to suit of the PL. Despite the fact that no other leagues will be shutting down any time soon.

Do it just to suit the PL? That's unfair surely.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would probably be the worst PR disaster ever.

What do you think would happen exactly?

The PL buys vaccines from a foreign company and vaccinates all staff, players and immediate family. Doesn't affect UK government's efforts in the slightest and as Dyche said it would redirect testing resources where they are more needed.

Are football fans going to care?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

The PL buys vaccines from a foreign company and vaccinates all staff, players and immediate family. Doesn't affect UK government's efforts in the slightest and as Dyche said it would redirect testing resources where they are more needed.

I don't think the tabloid media wouldn't miss the opportunity for headlines that would pit 'rich footballers' against healthworkers who haven't received the vaccine yet. Also, such is the huge demand for the vaccine, with international waiting lists, buying from a foreign company would still entail 'skipping the queue,' or at least the perception of doing so.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How would it re-direct resources elsewhere? The PL clubs are doing their own testing, using equipment they purchased themselves. They're not taking any resources from the NHS. It would be shockingly bad PR if a bunch of millionaires were able to jump the queue and get vaccinated well ahead of schedule just so football could continue. That is definitely something many fans would care about.

In other news, the Scottish FA has suspended all football below Championship level for three weeks. In addition, Championship clubs will now have to test on a weekly basis.

Zaph wrote: »
    How would it re-direct resources elsewhere? The PL clubs are doing their own testing, using equipment they purchased themselves. They're not taking any resources from the NHS. It would be shockingly bad PR if a bunch of millionaires were able to jump the queue and get vaccinated well ahead of schedule just so football could continue. That is definitely something many fans would care about.

In other news, the Scottish FA has suspended all football below Championship level for three weeks. In addition, Championship clubs will now have to test on a weekly basis.

Actually you're right Dyche said that they could redistribute the money they spend on testing to the NHS.

I don't think fans would care too much or for very long. Fans will always watch no matter what. Football being in bed with slave traders and human rights abusers hasn't stopped them watching so this would be news until the next gameweek at most.

• Advertisement

Actually you're right Dyche said that they could redistribute the money they spend on testing to the NHS.

Sounds very much like the 350million the Tory's earmarked for the NHS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The PL won't be suspended, too much money at stake and the games can't be rescheduled. From the championship down could be suspended though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Steve Cotterill, Shrewsbury's manager, was in intensive care over the weekend with Covid-19. He is still in hospital but positive reports that he is recovering. Hopefully back in the dugout soon. Only in his mid 50s so will only increase the worry for some of the older coaches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Advertisement
Advertisement