Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro' Dry Liner, Please?

• 06-07-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

:) Dead simple one.

I use a Lot of your black screws. 3.5 x 38. Nothing like as many as you, of course. But, you'd know: What type / size of little screwdriver / hex bit do I use, please? And where can I get them in packs of five or ten, as I'm sure I've noticed exist?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

I think those screws are Philips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Might well be. But, I grabbed a random head ~ from a huge collection of the things I have ~ yesterday. And stripped it bare in short order :(

Today, I picked a larger looking one and it was pretty good.

Just figured a professional, planting hundreds of screws a day, would have the heads well sussed out and would know where to find a supply of spares.

More to the point; Quality ones. I know, for a start, mine are cheap junk. Came with a kiddies play set sort of drill I bought for a single job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Use a ph1 and ph2 and see which fits best, ph2 is my guess.

Excellent! Thanks! Just googled them. Readily available on Amazon. And cheap as chips, even for 'top brand' names! Happy me! :D

I'm now guessing / hoping my one might have a discernible mark on its shank? I'll examine it, tomorrow, with my big glasses. Been bang at it all afternoon and can hardly move now! :o

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You should also check to ensure the bit you are using is actually phillips and not pozidriv. Google for pictures to see the difference.

• Advertisement

:o Trust me!

So, today I've finished using these screws for a bit. But, I like to keep my stuff in jars, screwed under shelves. And I noticed my jar was well depleted now so could probably take what I had left in the box I'd bought them in.

Fetch down the box. Pulling the screws out and stuffing them in the jar. I notice that little bag of silica crystals. Figure I'll throw it away. Pick it up and ... You've got it :rolleyes: Bloody little PH2 hex head!

Just ordered two dozen of the buggers off Amazon. Now I'm set for life! Better grab another box of screws though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

on short plasterboard scrws like that any cheap philips bit that fits will be fine. they last years ecen the cheap one that come with the box.
    if your driving longer drywall screws you are better off with a proper brand philips 2 bit. i use milwaukee shockwave bits or wera bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

these are what you want. Much handier than a normal bit as they only allow you to drive the screw to the right depth - handy if you've a lot to screw in ;)

Yeah. Thing is; I'm driving them into wood. And I tend to smash it a bit, at the end. I hate feeling the screw head once I'm done. Bird nest boxes. Not drawing room furniture.

Total disrespect for the gear. So, I can respect the gear if ~ like that earlier, cheap head ~ I destroy more than I should.

Incidentally; I was going for Wera's! But, they wouldn't deliver here and I got free shipping on the ones who would ;)

Idioteque; That's a devilish cunning little device! I'd be gutted if I'd been working with plaster board all this time and only now discovered them! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

you go through lot of those bits with the depth stop because they wear a lot by making the bit strip out on the head of the screw.

Bits.jpg

:D

Advertisement