Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat Question

Options
  • 06-07-2020 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    I am looking to set up an eCommerce site that sells a novelty Christmas item . The item consists of a children's book and a plush toy of a character from the book.
    I am aware that children's picture books have a VAT rate of zero percent and plush toys have a VAT rate of 23% as the book is being sold with a plush toy would the product now fall under the 23% rate .

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,043 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

sounds like a multiple supply for vat purposes:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/charging-vat/vat-and-mixed-supplies-of-goods/index.aspx

What is a multiple supply?
    A multiple supply is where each of the items being sold together for one consideration is capable of being supplied independently in its own right. This means that each part of the supply is physically and economically dissociable from the other parts of the supply.

The consideration for a multiple supply must be apportioned between each of the individual supplies for the purposes of charging VAT.

so you could apportion vat using the same ratio as the 2 items cost you to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 walshfin

Thanks I will look it into more ,now that I know where to start .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As above.

If you buy a big Mac meal have a look at the receipt and you'll see the food and drink apportioned to the different vat rates.

As for sales, if it's a one item website, it can be very difficult to garner sales from a standing start

Advertisement