Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing switch for plug sockets

Options
  • 06-07-2020 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, have switches in my kitchen labeled for dish washer, fridge and extractor fan. So the plug socket is hidden away, but power can be turned on and off by use of the switch, I want to replace these switches and wondering can you use a light switch like below:

Light Switch

Or do I need a 13A fused switch like this? Current switches don't seem to have a separate fuse.
    Fused Switch

Or am I completely wrong altogether and need something different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Julez wrote: »

Or am I completely wrong altogether and need something different?

Yes, you need an electrician. But they would be appliance switches, not light switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, I wasn't planning on install myself, just getting an idea on what I need first. What then constitutes an appliance switch? Would I need these. The appliances are just plugged into normal 13a plugs behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They are called 20amp switches. You can get they with indicator lights and without you can also get them with a fuse.

This is off the record so not correct way to do it but you can change them to sockets so the appliances below will be on at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

They are called 20amp switches. You can get they with indicator lights and without you can also get them with a fuse.

This is off the record so not correct way to do it but you can change them to sockets so the appliances below will be on at all times.

That would be against regulations. They need to be 20 amp double pole isolators to comply with the regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Why would you give this advice
    There’s a reason these switches are regulations.

(Maewyn succat posted at same time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Julez wrote: »
    Yeah, I wasn't planning on install myself, just getting an idea on what I need first. What then constitutes an appliance switch? Would I need these. The appliances are just plugged into normal 13a plugs behind the counter.

Yes they are what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Cool, my missus goes around plugging out almost everything at the end of the night for fear of blowing up the house so I won't be doing anything outside regulations anyway :pac: Like I say just planning and trying to make sure I can get a set of plugs that match for everything I need. Cheers for advice all!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

They are a requirement for isolating inaccessible socket outlets for maintenance.

Advertisement