Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Of Awareness Created For Violence Towards Christians.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Would be welcomed if Christians focused on this sort of thing and not whether Starbucks holiday cups were Christmas-y enough for their liking. Years and years of 'war on christmas' handbag wringing has been used to cry wolf at the expense of attention to actual persecution of Christians elsewhere in the world. I'd be surprised if people in the US didn't recognize the day of awareness when it comes up. But I can predict now the mood will reek of Islamophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Overheal wrote: »
    Would be welcomed if Christians focused on this sort of thing and not whether Starbucks holiday cups were Christmas-y enough for their liking. Years and years of 'war on christmas' handbag wringing has been used to cry wolf at the expense of attention to actual persecution of Christians elsewhere in the world. I'd be surprised if people in the US didn't recognize the day of awareness when it comes up. But I can predict now the mood will reek of Islamophobia.

Nice the way you got some blame in on Christians even on a thread on them being persecuted....

And I don't think it will reek of Islamophobia........as it's hardly an irrational fear......seeing as lots of Christian groups are being persecuted by.........predominately Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

Overheal wrote: »

You're trying to **** stir, hopefully nobody takes this obvious bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Bit of a Life of Brian type scenario is this a day to persecute Christians or is it a day to raise awareness of the fact that Christians are being persecuted. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One of the worst places for Christians being persecuted is under Israeli military occupation, yet so many Christians tell us they support Israel. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Zebra3 wrote: »
    One of the worst places for Christians being persecuted is under Israeli military occupation, yet so many Christians tell us they support Israel. :confused:

I'm no fan of Israel but this is a dubious assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Zebra3 wrote: »

Give Hamas a call. They'll sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Zebra, do you have a evidence for your claims? Sounds like you're making things up to stab at Israel.

Some facts:
    Christianity is one of the main religions in Israel, third by size, and is practiced by 177,000 people living in Israel (2.0% of the population) as of 2020. 77% of these followers are Arab-Christians, who are mostly adherents of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church (60% of Arab Christians).
    Christians of Gaza
    There are around 1,300 Christians in the Gaza Strip and the number of Christians is steadily declining.
    Looks like Christians thrive in Israel but not in Gaza..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Glad to see this. Highlighting Christian persecution is not trendy, so this will definitely be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

All Religions Matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

biko wrote: »
    Zebra, do you have a evidence for your claims? Sounds like you're making things up to stab at Israel.

Some facts:

Looks like Christians thrive in Israel but not in Gaza..

Christians have been leaving Gaza for over 20 years. The main reason is due to economic hardship. It's very hard to really prosper in Gaza and because of the Israeli annexation of land, why would you want to work and build a life when Israel can just come along an annex it? Also, when I worked in Gaza briefly, I found that Palestinian Christians find the government corrupt, more so than any other demographic, and there are a number of radical Salafist groups in Palestine who are a major threat to Christians in the region.

Israel have a more stable state so it's hardly fair to compare Israel to Gaza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

All Religions Matter.

:eek: Theist-ist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Christians usually get the bad end of the stick, Muslim countries dont like them because they are not Muslim and former Christian countries see it as the only religion it is acceptable to PC culture to Slander and discriminate against because they think they know it or view it when it had power and want to "rebel" as opposed to the exotic other religions that they know nothing about so hold in higher regards due to ignorance.

I am not a Christian but this is how I see it and I would hold christian values as why most of our society in the west is so forgiving and tolerant of others, most of our laws were derived from Christian teachings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

splashuum wrote: »
    The left now have so much influence that they've changed the general opinion of believers in god as “far right”

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

All Religions Matter.

They really don't,.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nice the way you got some blame in on Christians even on a thread on them being persecuted....

And I don't think it will reek of Islamophobia........as it's hardly an irrational fear......seeing as lots of Christian groups are being persecuted by.........predominately Muslims.

What does that even mean???

How am I blaming them for being persecuted in Romania? I am clearly just saying it’s about time we focus on actual persecution than hyped up garbage. I mention it because in western culture when people shout religious persecution (well, especially in the US) they are literally talking about “happy holidays,” non denominational coffee cups, and having to wear face masks at church, not the violent acts we see actually perpetrated around the world. Most US Christians have no reception of what happens outside of their bubble. But whatever if you think it’s bait ignore me. No, wasn’t looking for 2 pages of comments on starbucks cups, just expressing sentiment that it’s high time to bring to fore real persecution. If you don’t get that feel free to ignore me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Christians usually get the bad end of the stick, Muslim countries dont like them because they are not Muslim and former Christian countries see it as the only religion it is acceptable to PC culture to Slander and discriminate against because they think they know it or view it when it had power and want to "rebel" as opposed to the exotic other religions that they know nothing about so hold in higher regards due to ignorance.

Boards has had a large atheist community for a long time. I remember how the religious used to be derided in that forum, great stuff. Wasn't nearly as toxic as the current discourse surrounding debates though.

From the Charlie Hebdo attacks onwards something changed, Islam found a special place free from crticism unlike the rest of the religions.

Obviously it's not always easy to tell if someone is being persecuted for their politics or their religion, or other reasons or some combination of all of them, but a large amount of those being persecuted seem to be apostates of Islam who have converted to christianity(That being a crime punishable by death). Ah blasphemy laws, very reminiscent of the 'hate crime' laws the west has slowly been introducing.
    A report by the international catholic charity organisation Aid to the Church in Need said that the religiously motivated ethnic cleansing of Christians is so severe that they are set to disappear completely from parts of the Middle-East within a decade.

A report commissioned by the British foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt and published in May 2019 stated that the level and nature of persecution of Christians in the Middle East "is arguably coming close to meeting the international definition of genocide, according to that adopted by the UN.” The report coted Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Syria and Saudi Arabia where "the situation of Christians and other minorities has reached an alarming stage." The report attributed the sources of persecution to both extremist groups and the failure of state institutions.

I guess that's the world that progressives want to live in. A world where there are 'consequences' to free speech. This is why it's important for the state to protect all of our freedoms and not to have vigilante groups going around dispensing their own 'justice'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They really don't,.
    they've had an enormous impact on human history

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

India, Sri Lanka and Burma/Myanamar all have a dubious record with regards to christian minorities within their borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

they've had an enormous impact on human history

Most of it negative, get rid of them all, the world would be a much better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

All Religions Matter.

ARM

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Muslim countries dont like them because they are not Muslim

They usually don't treat them half as bad as Jews or atheists, never mind apostates (converts from Islam) for which several countries impose the death penalty.

and former Christian countries see it as the only religion it is acceptable to PC culture to Slander and discriminate against

Please provide an example of a "former Christian country" which now discriminates against Christians.

I am not a Christian but this is how I see it and I would hold christian values as why most of our society in the west is so forgiving and tolerant of others, most of our laws were derived from Christian teachings.

It's not, but given that this is Ireland you've almost certainly been indoctrinated since age 4 to think that way.
    The history of Christianity is at least as soaked in blood as Islam or any of the rest of these primitive ideologies.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement