Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Fill in this template and it will help the lads steer you in the right direction.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BBG

Thanks! Really looking for adivce on the Ryzen chips as the seem to be best bang for buck currently. Realise the 3900 is OEM only but is it worth the extra for the 3900X. I think the 3950 is out of reach.

1. What is your budget? €1500-1800 without amazon voucher.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming and graphic design. Gaming mainly FPS and VR.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? NO

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] Yes, Possibly, have 32gb of ddr4 (2400mhz) in current machine, will repurpose it but happy to take 16gb out of it.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Nope

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Montior runs at 5120 X 1440 but wouldnt run that in games most likey. Play COD at 5120X1440 but downscale to half that.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Laser

9. When are you purchasing?within the next 3 days

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No but based in the East either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What kind of graphic design?
    Are you sure you could utilise all cores of the 3900X?

Also what model monitor is that?

*edit*:

Example build:
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (£403.78 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£67.26 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£179.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£183.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£129.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING X Video Card (£389.94 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1514.92
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-07 15:53 BST+0100

(€1688)

Also consider any of the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II AIOs for cooling.

Utilise all the cores? don't ask sensible questions :) I'm turning 40 and want to indulge myself....somewhat, cant afford a convertible...GTA will have to do.

Monitor is a Philips 499P9H/00

Deisgn work is mainly Photoshop/Illustrator with the very occasional use of Premiere and After Affects.

I have being dabbling a little bit in lockdown with Blender/Unity and oddly enough, PowerBi.

Expensive computer sounds more doable than a €35k car alright!

I'd go AMD for GPU as your monitor uses Adaptive Sync - should help prevent tearing.

• Advertisement

Tearing has never really bothered me but i think thats more down to the fact that I've never played on something with GSync or Adaptive Sync. Ignorance is bliss. Is all the fuss about RTX over rated? Also, I've had some issues running Oculus Quest on AMD cards (PC link) but then again, thats using a Vega M.

Oh right, forgot about VR.
    Yeah, VR is better on Nvidia AFAIK

An entry-level RTX 2070 Super would put you right on the edge of your €1800 budget.

Do note that next-gen cards are due in September/October so the resale value might drop dramatically.

Ahh man, i think i'm going to take the plunge & try and build a pc.... this could only go bad or possibly terrible. :) Cheers for all the advice @K.O

Might deviate and get the Fractal Meshify case as its a little sexier IMO.

I'll report back with finshed or broken results. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Can the Quest plug into a PC? Thought it was a stand-alone product.

If you're going to use address pal / parcel motel etc. for any big ticket items make sure you check the insurance levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can the Quest plug into a PC? Thought it was a stand-alone product.

Can, its a beta feature atm but works well as long as you use decent cables.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Can, its a beta feature atm but works well as long as you use decent cables.

Nice.

Yep, I got the official PC-Link cable for Oculus. Currently running of a Quadro card on a Wacom engine which is below the recommended specs for Quest & PC link (hence a new build) but it still runs the likes of Half Life Alyx relatively well.

I would highly recommend the Quest to anybody for the best of stand alone & a very enjoyable PC exeperience. Apparently, AMD also has software to stream to Quest but there is some lag. Never tried it since getting the PC-Link, I have however walked into many wall or desk with it on!!

So, as mentioned before, I had Amazon vouchers and went a little silly.
    So far, arriving next week:

I picked up a bundle of a 3900X &
    ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX Motherboard for 707 sterling which with a voucher was only 97 sterling. Read some marketing speel about future proof and swallowed it but it apparently has fast wifi...thats justifiable right?:)

Think I've settled on Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB STRIX. Just need to find somewhere with stock. In currys in UK for 580 sterling but no delivery.

Its gets cheaper after this right?

As blingy as the STRIX is, you won't get better performance/noise vs a cheaper model, e.g. MSI Gaming X/Gaming Trio, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3X, or any Palit.

It's £80-100 wasted on a name.

Doh, bought it specifically cause 2 reviews said it was quiet. :( Damn u marketing speak.

Nah it is quiet - it's just that those cards are just as quiet, but cheaper.
    The STRIX is nice, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Marketers dream!

£700 is grand on a motherboard + CPU if your budget is unlimited and have specific demands, but you kinda seem to have just gone with the mantra that "more expensive is better" with regards those and the GPU.

Realistically a B450M + 3700X is half that price and performs identical in games and will do for a long time. Strix, generally, you're paying for the cool design and designer label, the actual product is fairly average.

3900 is really a heavy productivity CPU, not a gaming one.

Meh "some" video and design work would be all the excuse I needed too! Only thing that is niggling me if this is going to be primarily a games machine is you may have wanted to go intel given the budget.

Homelander wrote: »
    Marketers dream!

£700 is grand on a motherboard + CPU if your budget is unlimited and have specific demands, but you kinda seem to have just gone with the mantra that "more expensive is better" with regards those and the GPU.

Realistically a B450M + 3700X is half that price and performs identical in games and will do for a long time. Strix, generally, you're paying for the cool design and designer label, the actual product is fairly average.

3900 is really a heavy productivity CPU, not a gaming one.

Your absolutely right but I always said I'd buy something stupid for my 40th. All my machines to this point have been very sensible. Regards processor, I do alot load more work (than im letting on) than I do game but I'd rather when I do game for once, I'd like to not have to turn everything to low for once.

I'll know for next time....(Im really hoping there wont be a next time)

As midlife crisis go a 3900X is pretty tame :pac:

• Advertisement

As midlife crisis go a 3900X is pretty tame :pac:

He should get a Harley too. :pac:

haha, new computer is only part of my midlife crisis... but dont tell my wife. Bits and pieces arriving over the next few weeks. Straight out to the shed.

"Sorry hon, what? sure I've had that for ages......:cool:"

Cheers all, finally built as of today. Please ignore my horrendous cabling skills. Actually fun to build but I defo made some hiccups including buying a motherboard with out built in WiFi, not the plan but analyse, adapt and overcome etc etc....

Advertisement