Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free For All!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I know all the individual incidents listed by the OP are horrendous, but I've lived in or close to Cork city nearly my whole life and I just don't see the world being described here (which reads like a Mad Max alike hellscape). Overall it's an exceptionally safe city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I know all the individual incidents listed by the OP are horrendous, but I've lived in or close to Cork city nearly my whole life and I just don't see the world being described here (which reads like a Mad Max alike hellscape). Overall it's an exceptionally safe city.
    Some people go looking for the worse aspects of life/cities/people. By just about any standard, Cork is a safe city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Some people go looking for the worse aspects of life/cities/people. By just about any standard, Cork is a safe city.

I agree Cork is pretty safe. But it's easy to dismiss people's experience if it's never happened to you. Bear in mind you can have a completely different experience based on who you are and what you look like.

The more of an easy target you look like, or maybe likely to have cash, the more you get hassle in my experience, and that's often completely out of your control. You can't make yourself taller or broader generally.

I'm an average height , average build white woman... nothing bar my gender that would mark me as a target there, but for example, when I was visibly pregnant with a bump, FAR more people hassling me for money. Same if I have a baby or a small child with me. Maybe mothers are seen as soft touches, or more easily intimidated, I don't know, but it's bloody annoying.

On my own, if I'm dressed up (like I might have money for a night out), way more likely to be hassled than if I'm in runners zipping around doing my business. I've never had hassle if I'm walking around with another adult, and my husband has never once been asked for money in town in his whole life, but he's fairly scary looking :pac: :D

pwurple wrote: »
    I agree Cork is pretty safe. But it's easy to dismiss people's experience if it's never happened to you. Bear in mind you can have a completely different experience based on who you are and what you look like.
    Myself and a friend were attacked physically in the city center a number of years back. We were out for a few pints, they were out for a fight. My friend had to go to CUH because of it.
    We still meet up (until COVID hit) in the city. I go with my family there. I’m not dismissing anyones experience, but Cork is a safe city by just about any standard.

I don't think people's individual experiences are being dismissed (anyone who thinks those such incidents would never occur in an urban area is foolish) - just the assessment of Cork as a whole becoming like Detroit. Someone said they're glad they got out - of what? A small city with a relatively low crime rate? It seems very melodramatic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

So this is incredibly tragic. Two lads from North Cork found dead this weekend, both coincidentally in places with Eagle in the name, 84km apart.

This lad was found dead outside a house in Eagle Valley. A criminal investigation is ongoing.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40039817.html

While those infamous scenes in Killarney town unfolded, this Cork fella was discovered five minutes away, outside the Gleneagle Hotel.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/investigation-into-unexplained-death-of-young-man-in-killarney-1.4342166

A lot of young Cork lads have been killed and died before their time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

Quite a number of people stopped taking their meds during lockdown. It is understandable in a way as they were too anxious to collect. The mental health implications could have a much greater impact than covid in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't think people's individual experiences are being dismissed (anyone who thinks those such incidents would never occur in an urban area is foolish) - just the assessment of Cork as a whole becoming like Detroit. Someone said they're glad they got out - of what? A small city with a relatively low crime rate? It seems very melodramatic.

Maybe you missed what I quoted, as it was clearly dismissive.
    Some people go looking for the worse aspects of life/cities/people.
    It's also entirely subjective.
    Like I said already, I personally think Cork is fairly safe. however, I've nothing bar my own experience to base that on, the last validated crime statistics for Cork city are from when... 2018, 2017?

There's an aggregate site here, where Cork has a fairly mixed review..
    https://www.numbeo.com/crime/in/Cork

There are "under resevervation" CSO data tables available here, but they bundle the whole "south" region:

https://statbank.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Database/Eirestat/Recorded%20Crime/Recorded%20Crime_statbank.asp?sp=Recorded%20Crime&Planguage=0&ProductID=DB_CJ

A couple of numbers for the first 3 months of 2020

Rape 139 (up 10%)
    Homicide 2 (same-ish, sub 5)
    Murder 1 (same-ish sub 5)
    Attempted murder 3 (same-ish sub 5)
    Assault causing hard 195 (down from 270 Q4 2019, which is typical. the xmas period shoots this up always)
    Burglary 649 (sameish, which is unusual, usually this drops in Q1 each year)
    Aggravated burglary 18 (Up from 12)

We can wait for the 2020 Q2 / Q3 data to come out...

I'm not sure it's "entirely" subjective. You'd think you were reading about Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia or southside Chicago.

Crime has gone up obviously. Still doesn't make some of the posts here any less hysterical.

I'm not sure it's "entirely" subjective. You'd think you were reading about Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia or southside Chicago.

Crime has gone up obviously. Still doesn't make some of the posts here any less hysterical.

Apparently we're like Gotham City according to the OP ..... without Batman of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Apparently we're like Gotham City according to the OP ..... without Batman of course.

And anyone who doesn't agree is, no doubt, "part of the problem"!, biased, or in denial.

The last thread was closed due to people being arsy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I'm fine with disagreement. Just thought I'd put a thread up based on my own observations. I'm not not alone in my experience, because there are lots of others on the thread who have noticed similar things. Everyone is hysterical these days according to unimaginative boards.ie users. I was surprised to read the stats for the first part of the year because things only got slightly worse. I guess the media magnified the incidents more, so there seemed like there were more of them. It will be interesting to make comparison with last year's Q2, especially considering our movements were restricted for a lot of it.

I'm not denying that these developments are very negative, I just think some of the comparisons are over the top/lacking perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

Over the top/lacking perspective is putting it kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In yesterday, town was packed, definitely noticed a few more who might be described as junkies than I would have before, I guess I had this thread in mind, but didn't see anyone being bothered by them. Very pleasant atmosphere in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheChizler wrote: »
    In yesterday, town was packed, definitely noticed a few more who might be described as junkies than I would have before, I guess I had this thread in mind, but didn't see anyone being bothered by them. Very pleasant atmosphere in general.

Yes, Sundays, generally, seem very busy in the centre with families, at the moment. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

pwurple wrote: »

There's an aggregate site here, where Cork has a fairly mixed review..
    https://www.numbeo.com/crime/in/Cork

That Numbeo site is worse than useless. It's based on self-selection responses to a survey on the website.

Advertisement