Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook 2016 - New email preferences.

Options
  • 07-07-2020 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Windows 10

If I click on an email address in the text body of a received email, a normal new email window doesn't open. Instead, a Windows/Outlook online window opens.

1. Where are Sent items for these emails stored?

2. Is it possible to change Outlook 2016 preferences so that when I click on an email address a New Email window opens within Outlook, meaning it will be stored in my Sent folder?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dinarius wrote: »
    Windows 10

If I click on an email address in the text body of a received email, a normal new email window doesn't open. Instead, a Windows/Outlook online window opens.

1. Where are Sent items for these emails stored?

2. Is it possible to change Outlook 2016 preferences so that when I click on an email address a New Email window opens within Outlook, meaning it will be stored in my Sent folder?

Thanks.

D.
    1. This is no different than you do "New" - message send will be stored in your send items folder as normal.
    2. is it open browser or "Mail" app on you Win10?
    if app - Windows set it as default application for mail (could be after updates) Go to settings , search "default apps" > select default app for mail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

1. This is no different than you do "New" - message send will be stored in your send items folder as normal.
    if app - Windows set it as default application for mail (could be after updates) Go to settings , search "default apps" > select default app for mail

Thanks.

I’m using Outlook 2016 app for email - part of my Office suite. So, it’s installed on the computer, along with PowerPoint, etc.

But, if I click on an email address within an email, or on a web page in a browser, the new email template that opens is not within Outlook. It’s different.

And, unless I’m going blind, they are not stored in the Sent folder of the Outlook app.

Of course, I can copy/paste an email address into a new email in the Outlook app.

I’d just like to know what’s happening to all those I’ve written in the other template.

Cheers!

D.

Thanks.

I’m using Outlook 2016 app for email - part of my Office suite. So, it’s installed on the computer, along with PowerPoint, etc.

But, if I click on an email address within an email, or on a web page in a browser, the new email template that opens is not within Outlook. It’s different.

And, unless I’m going blind, they are not stored in the Sent folder of the Outlook app.

Of course, I can copy/paste an email address into a new email in the Outlook app.

I’d just like to know what’s happening to all those I’ve written in the other template.

Cheers!

D.
    Is this to ANY mail message or from specific sender?

hover over address before click - it'll show hyperlink (should be mailto:address@domain.ie). If different (https: ) - it could be set by sender that way, out of your control.
    Check default app anyway - Win10 after updates tend to change things...
    Also see in outlook2016:
    File>Options, General tab, scroll down>Make Outlook the default...

Messages not appearing in Sent items is odd...
    Run search, see if found and where. Any rules.
    Its not first odd behavior you describe here with your outlook - might be worth doing repair on outlook

It is an app called 'Mail for Windows 10' which opens when I click on an email address.

It uses my default Outlook email account to send the email.

It doesn't appear to have a Sent folder, and the messages it sends are not in my Outlook Sent folder.

If I could change preferences so that when I clicked on an email address, a new Outlook email would open, that would be great. (Obviously, copying/pasting the email address is a workaround)

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement

As i suggested above, two places to check...

in Windows
    in Outlook
    File>Options, General tab, scroll down>Make Outlook the default...

As i suggested above, two places to check...

in Windows

in Outlook

Perfect!

Windows Mail had been selected as Default App. Changed it to Outlook and now clicking on an email address opens new Outlook email message pane.

Many thanks.

D.

Ps. The Make Outlook Default app...had already been ticked.

Windows Mail had been selected as Default App. Changed it to Outlook and now clicking on an email address opens new Outlook email message pane.
    Good!
    This is common MS behavior - after next major update you might face again same/similar issue, they maliciously ignore user preferences and "pushing" their crap like mail or edge as default apps.

Advertisement