Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Doesn't Provide References

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Dav010 wrote: »
    Suspicious minds.

Unless the op was handing over envelopes of cash each month, it’s “on record”.

We did just that for the first two years and some of the other tenants pay by cash now. He is clearly struggling financially, but if the shoe were on the other foot I know what he would say to us.

Tell him as you can't move you'll be moving on to HAP which he can't refuse and advise him he'll need a tax cert, the property will need to be inspected etc or he can just give you a reference.

I think that would be fraud or unethical at least.

The LL gave one, he got burned before, perhaps for being too honest.

There you go making assumptions again, the tax evasion may have been associated with another business, and Revenue require a settlement. You are still speculating about whether he is paying tax on rental income and given the fact that the op hasn’t stated it is being paid in cash, it’s unlikely that he would be able to avoid tax on money paid to a bank account.

You seem to have no problems making assumptions yourself!

I think it was related to the property we live in because he was originally telling the council, revenue and RTB that he was renting the property to a family, but it is actually a three bedroom house split into six flats with an extension in the back garden and an attic conversion. I would say he is getting between 5 and 6 grand from his tenants, but telling the revenue he is getting half that which is reasonable for a family home, but not six flats!

He got into trouble when someone bought the house next door and renovated back into a family home and then they realised that there were eight people or six households living next door which they weren't happy about. Oh and he didn't provide a bin service so the filthy ****er down below us was throwing his rubbish in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Lux23 wrote: »
    We did just that for the first two years and some of the other tenants pay by cash now

Eight pages later.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

The whole topic of references is tricky.

It's fair enough not to want to be giving references, there's no legal requirement to do so. But I wonder if the same landlord expects to receive references from potential tenants? If so, that would be a bit crappy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is your girlfriend paying her rent in cash? If she isn’t, then it is going into a bank account so the LL is paying at least some form of tax (DIRT) on it. It is hard to hide money from Revenue that is being paid into a bank account. The LL can register with the RTB at any time by paying a late registration fee, so no, it is not a sign that the LL is not paying tax. Your girlfriend should not in any way be afraid to apply for rental assistance, it makes no difference to her if he is registered with the RTB, she could still take a dispute to them if she needed to irrespective of whether he is registered.

There is only one way to know if a LL is not paying tax, you read their income tax return, everything else is unfounded speculation

He specified that it has to be paid in cash. I'm going to err on the side that these are not coincidences (though of course I can't know). If they are not and he has not been paying tax, is there a chance that she causes a fuss, can be served notice even though he gets in trouble with the law etc? Would be a disaster for her right now. Hence the fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭paul71

brisan wrote: »
    the OP landlord managed to do it and was prosecuted for it and named in the papers
    There is always a way to evade tax.
    Its the scale that gets people caught

He did not manage to do it. He was caught, supporting the point I made that it is now practically impossible.

I have been doing income tax returns professionally for 25 years. 20 years ago evasion was common, I saw people coming in all the time seeking to get their affairs in order. In the last 5 years no-one has walked in the door asking for rental income to be brought into compliance thats because the evaders have all been brought into the net over the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

paul71 wrote: »
    He was caught, supporting the point I made that it is now practically impossible.

I have been doing income tax returns professionally for 25 years. 20 years ago evasion was common, I saw people coming in all the time seeking to get their affairs in order. In the last 5 years no-one has walked in the door asking for rental income to be brought into compliance thats because the evaders have all been brought into the net over the last 15 years.

And I realise it's a much smaller group, but there's people renting out places under the Rent a Room scheme. If the rent is under a certain amount, no tax is payable on it, AFAIK.

Advertisement