Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview direct to smart Tv

• 07-07-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I have a samsung smart tv, i was about to buy a combo box for satellite and saorview, but i'am wondering if i could plug an aerial in to the tv and buy a satellite receiver instead or am i better off with the combo box.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have a samsung smart tv, i was about to buy a combo box for satellite and saorview, but i'am wondering if i could plug an aerial in to the tv and buy a satellite receiver instead or am i better off with the combo box.

If the TV has an aerial input (which I expect it does) then you plug an aerial in to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, you can connect the aerial direct to the TV and use a separate satellite receiver but it will do your head in juggling two remotes. Far better getting a combo box, you connect the aerial and satellite into it and one remote will do all the channel hopping. A combo box will also give you the ability to record programs on Saorview channels, something you won't be able to do if you run the aerial straight to the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, you can connect the aerial direct to the TV and use a separate satellite receiver but it will do your head in juggling two remotes. Far better getting a combo box, you connect the aerial and satellite into it and one remote will do all the channel hopping. A combo box will also give you the ability to record programs on Saorview channels, something you won't be able to do if you run the aerial straight to the TV.

No much of a difference in the price of a combo and a plain satellite receiver, maybe 20 euro.

im looking at https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/multi-tuners-and-combo-receivers/zgemma-h7s

i what to be able to record channels like the sky plus box i have. My understanding is it will record terrestrial channel, but you can't watch another terrestrial channel while recording.

Satellite is different, you can watch and record different channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

I have a system like you are suggesting, with a hdd on TV and a freesat recorder. Depends on if intend recording, most combos allow you record terrestrial and view sat or visa versa on one hdd. You could loop your aerial through the combo to give more options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

No much of a difference in the price of a combo and a plain satellite receiver, maybe 20 euro.

im looking at https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/multi-tuners-and-combo-receivers/zgemma-h7s

i what to be able to record channels like the sky plus box i have. My understanding is it will record terrestrial channel, but you can't watch another terrestrial channel while recording.

Satellite is different, you can watch and record different channels.

You generally need a twin feed satellite receiver to record and view sat the same time, so a triple tuner, 1 terrestrial, 2 x sat, might suit.

• Advertisement

surprised you smart tv does not already have a sat tuner built in?

surprised you smart tv does not already have a sat tuner built in?

What do you know it does. Never knew that. Cheers. I'm assuming it is only a single tuner and i can't record with it?

I'd say you can record from it onto a portable hard drive, whilst watching the saoerview, nearly everything is available on catch up nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Even if using a combo box it would be possible to record a Saorview channel and use the TV's tuner to watch another Saorview channel if you have the coax connected to the TV also.

Even if using a combo box it would be possible to record a Saorview channel and use the TV's tuner to watch another Saorview channel if you have the coax connected to the TV also.

I could split the terrestrial cable and kill two birds with one stone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

In practice how often would anyone need to record two Saorviews at the same time? Most of the soaps are available on satellite in better quality and you also have the +1 RTEs.

In practice how often would anyone need to record two Saorviews at the same time? Most of the soaps are available on satellite in better quality and you also have the +1 RTEs.

The day i record a soap its all over i think :) Thanks for help. i just canceled sky and the only function we'll miss is the ability to record something on a different channel.

Ill hook the tv and if its a problem in a few months it's easy get a combo box

I have never needed to record two RTE channels at the one time, but have often needed to record one while watching another.
    So two DVB-T tuners are a necessity, just as much as two DVB-S tuners.

The RTE+1 channels are not in HD so not suited for recording IMO.

So if i stick with the TV and its single tuner, and i am recording RTE 1 for example, can i watch the satellite channel while its recording?

So if i stick with the TV and its single tuner, and i am recording RTE 1 for example, can i watch the satellite channel while its recording?

yes ......... and some other RTE channels on the same mux as RTE1 if the TV permits it.

yes ......... and some other RTE channels on the same mux as RTE1 if the TV permits it.

Is there a way of checking if the TV permits it

Is there a way of checking if the TV permits it

Try recording a channel from one of the two multiplexes, and viewing a different channel on the same mux.

How the channels are divided into two muxes ...

https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Saorview_(Ireland)

Advertisement