Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adapter for macbook pro

Options
  • 07-07-2020 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Recently got a macbook pro for working remotely.

Never used one before, but theres no HDMI, Ethernet or mouse connectivity or ability to use additional monitors.

Is there an adapter I can buy somewhere quite quickly in order to cover all of these?

Also do I need a specific type of mouse that will only work with a macbook pro?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

You can use apple usb C dongles (expensive) or generic usb C dongles or docking stations. Personally having used a bunch of apple and 3rd party devices the Dell USB C is a very good option for all your connectivity. Should be easy find online or PCworld.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/work/shop/dell-usb-c-mobile-adapter-da300/apd/492-bcjl/pc-accessories

For the mouse most bluetooth will work with some tweaking but the magic mouse 2 is a great piece of kit once you learn the features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

krissovo wrote: »
    You can use apple usb C dongles (expensive) or generic usb C dongles or docking stations. Personally having used a bunch of apple and 3rd party devices the Dell USB C is a very good option for all your connectivity. Should be easy find online or PCworld.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/work/shop/dell-usb-c-mobile-adapter-da300/apd/492-bcjl/pc-accessories

For the mouse most bluetooth will work with some tweaking but the magic mouse 2 is a great piece of kit once you learn the features.

would an old wired mouse work with the above mentioned dell adapter?

Most mouses are built for PC functionality (right click for example) so its hard to say. It first needs to be USB (rectangle connector) rather than the very old round type PS2.

That adaptor has:
    HDMI - Monitors/TV's
    VGA - Old type monitors
    USB 2- Rectangle type usb
    Network port
    Spare USB C

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Recently got a macbook pro for working remotely.

Never used one before, but theres no HDMI, Ethernet or mouse connectivity or ability to use additional monitors.

Is there an adapter I can buy somewhere quite quickly in order to cover all of these?

Also do I need a specific type of mouse that will only work with a macbook pro?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Would that dell adapter work with a mac or are any further attachments needed? no HDMI or USB port on the mac remember.

is there power lead with it? as 1 end of mac cable goes into its own mains plug.

Spec video mentioned I couldnt charge my laptop through this either

Would that dell adapter work with a mac or are any further attachments needed? no HDMI or USB port on the mac remember.

is there power lead with it? as 1 end of mac cable goes into its own mains plug.

Works perfect with MAC or PC right out of the box, USB C is such a great versatile standard and it does not need to plug in to power. You can put the mac power lead into the adapter and it will pass through and charge the mac so you only need to unplug one cable when moving around.

I have found the cheaper adapters work great for a few weeks but then the cable starts shorting. All my work colleagues use the same adopter now as they are reliable and you only need the one compared to 2 or 3 apple dongles for the same connectivity.

• Advertisement

Spec video mentioned I couldnt charge my laptop through this either

Hmmm, I am running right now using the Dell adapter and my power lead is plugged in so it does charge.

I just tested by using the apple dongle and the apple one clearly charges much faster than through the dell, probably 50% more. I am using the upgraded 96w charger though so it may make a difference. Standard charger is 30w so that may not transfer the power as well.

It will still work as you have 4 USB C ports on your macbook and can plug the power seperately if it does not work through the dell.

Hmmm, I am running right now using the Dell adapter and my power lead is plugged in so it does charge.

I just tested by using the apple dongle and the apple one clearly charges much faster than through the dell, probably 50% more. I am using the upgraded 96w charger though so it may make a difference. Standard charger is 30w so that may not transfer the power as well.

It will still work as you have 4 USB C ports on your macbook and can plug the power seperately if it does not work through the dell.

Do you know exactly whats on this dell one? how many hdmi and normal size usb ports?
    Thanks a million for all the info

One of each of these, this could be a blocker for you if you use more than 1 USB port.

That adaptor has:
    HDMI - Monitors/TV's
    VGA - Old type monitors
    USB 2- Rectangle type usb
    Network port
    Spare USB C

One of each of these, this could be a blocker for you if you use more than 1 USB port.

a blocker? and is one of those an ethernet port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

There are tonnes of options for USB-C adapters. I have always found Anker stuff to be pretty good:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Premium-Adapter-MacBook-Chromebook/dp/B07H4VQ4BZ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=usb-c+dongle&qid=1594155658&sr=8-5

One with Ethernet: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerExpand-Delivery-Ethernet-Chromebook/dp/B07PPGWQ15/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=usb-c+ethernet+dongle&qid=1594155747&sr=8-6

also FYI there will be no issues with right click. Macs have had right click for years.

Folks here will be able to recommend something suitable if they know:
    If Ethernet is a requirement
    Resolution of your monitor (1080p, 1440p, 4k etc)
    Model of MacBook

• Advertisement
Advertisement