Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling clubs

Options
  • 07-07-2020 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi looking to join a cycling club now as got more into cycling during lockdown. I had a look at a few local clubs on Facebook they seem to have different levels for long spins , some are green red yellow others are just A,B,C groups. I'm mainly joining for the long spins at weekend , would the top A level Saturday/Sunday spins be ok level for a zwift Cat B rider? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I'd say go low and work up. Zwift isn't like real life (says a **** Cat4 rider who zwift thinks is a B).

Will only take a spin or two max to get the right level for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They're normally based on speed and distance. While I wouldn't think the slowest group would be appropriate, I would suggest being conservative for the first week and see how you get on. Personally, I hate being the one holding up a group, even if the group is fine with it (which they will be, if it's non-drop).

The other thing to have in mind if your new to group riding is the group dynamics may be different in the faster/ longer groups. I haven't been out post restrictions (so physical distancing may now be a factor), but faster groups will most likely be closer/ tighter.

fwiw I'm Cat B in zwift, and wouldn't (and wasn't) able for the "Race" group in my club made mainly of real world A3's and above, particularly over the distance of a club spin. Spending an entire spin under pressure is no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

saccades wrote: »
    I'd say go low and work up. Zwift isn't like real life (says a **** Cat4 rider who zwift thinks is a B).

Will only take a spin or two max to get the right level for you.

I think the majority of people even the pros think the opposite. I'd say there's something wrong with your set up or you're using virtual power if you're a cat B on zwift and struggle in D out on the road.

OP if you're a genuine Cat B rider on zwift which I think is 3.5 w/kg you'll have no bother hanging on to an A group bunch they're usually only out for the endurance spin and sometimes they'll throw in efforts or a sprint finish to a spin.

I'm not sure if you've experienced cycling in a group on the road so you may struggle with that aspect of it. It is however much easier to cycle in a group than as an individual.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Speed, endurance and all that might be fine, but you need to get used to cycling in a group.

I cycle pretty much entirely on my own , the few times I cycle in a group ive to really switch on again and remember some things*

I once went out with blanch wheelies and ended up in the wrong group. That was an eye opener. Clung in for about 30km and then slipped off quietly

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lads, look at the username? Don't help a Triathlete....theyre a triathlete!

Joking aside, Cat A or Cat Z we'd still make you do slow and steady newbie induction to make sure you don't take down a dozen riders by brake checking a group.

• Advertisement

Also don't bring a tri bike to a group ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Thanks guys , I'm 4 watts per kilo on zwift and real life doing 1 hour time trials. Valid points about group riding , went out with a lad recently rarely ever cycle with anyone and found it hard cycling single file having to turn and check he was still in close proximity.
    The aim of joining a club is to improve wouldn't mind hanging on even if i got dropped I could try last longer each ride. The best way to improve is to train with people who are better than you , thats what i've found with running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Have some consideration for the other riders. You may be ok with being dropped, but if you do intend dropping off the back, do tell the others in the group!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

4 w/kg means you'll be fine in most group rides for the majority of the spin. If the legs go just tell the lads you are done & will be fine cruising back from where you get dropped if it happens.

I'm still not necessarily buying the zwift v irl to be honest, but I wouldn't down play the "skills" of group riding. That's what makes it different from running - there's consequences for others.

Really, you go in a group or two lower than you think, it's "cost" you a week or two? For what long term cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

I’m also considering joining a club but need to get my fitness levels up. The club currently does circa 80km to 100km per session.

I was told that cycling using a simulator vs cycling in real life is totally different due to road conditions, hazards, group dynamics and weather.

What are your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The best way to get your fitness up is to join a club. Does the club u intend joining have a “no drop” spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

onlineweb wrote: »
    I’m also considering joining a club but need to get my fitness levels up. The club currently does circa 80km to 100km per session.

I was told that cycling using a simulator vs cycling in real life is totally different due to road conditions, hazards, group dynamics and weather.

What are your thoughts?

There's no real comparison but watts are watts inside is far harder in my opinion. Outside you tend to roll a lot more and the down hills aren't very life like on the trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There's no real comparison but watts are watts inside is far harder in my opinion. Outside you tend to roll a lot more and the down hills aren't very life like on the trainer.

I’d agree with that, also trainer accuracy seems to vary wildly. I was just about cat B till I upgraded trainer- now I hang on in C rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The best way to get your fitness up is to join a club. Does the club u intend joining have a “no drop” spin?

What does ”no drop” refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

What are your thoughts?

80 or 100k isnt hard if you have a half decent road bike. And anyway the majority of clubs cater for all fitness levels, if you're really unfit you will start out with the slowest group but that's a nice carrot to start getting faster.

Imo if you can hold a good walking pace you can easily cycle above 20kph on road bike for a couple of hours.

If you dont have a road bike and are on a hybrid mtb etc your probably fitter than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

What does ”no drop” refer to?

Wait for the last man

Don't have to fix punctures on a turbo (unless you're very unlucky) can get off to see whenever you want. Answer phone safely. Watch TV. Don't have to worry about braking, pot holes, countryside dogs, close passes, headwinds, crosswinds.

World's apart, even with the best smart trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Weepsie wrote: »
    Don't have to fix punctures on a turbo (unless you're very unlucky) can get off to see whenever you want. Answer phone safely. Watch TV. Don't have to worry about braking, pot holes, countryside dogs, close passes, headwinds, crosswinds.

World's apart, even with the best smart trainer

An Experienced, but not particularly safe in a bunch, cyclist in our club answered the phone one Sunday on the club spin. Might be fine if you are a decent bike handler on level ground. Not so for him going downhill, into a tight corner with a bridge included. Several broken bones and an airlift later he probably wished the phone was on silent. Luckily no one else got taken out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

An Experienced, but not particularly safe in a bunch, cyclist in our club answered the phone one Sunday on the club spin. Might be fine if you are a decent bike handler on level ground. Not so for him going downhill, into a tight corner with a bridge included. Several broken bones and an airlift later he probably wished the phone was on silent. Luckily no one else got taken out too.

Jesus thats darwinism.

While not explicitly illegal to hold a phone while cycling he could and IMO should be charged for that. 112/ICG have better things to be attending to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Ah ye didn’t have to beat the crap out of him- a word in the ear would have sufficed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    Don't have to fix punctures on a turbo (unless you're very unlucky) can get off to see whenever you want. Answer phone safely. Watch TV. Don't have to worry about braking, pot holes, countryside dogs, close passes, headwinds, crosswinds....
    ....or having your face and kit sprayed with muck from the wheel of the rider in front!

Well I've verified my smart turbo and two power meters with each other, and they're all within their margin of error. I still wouldn't put myself in Cat B/ A2 in the real world! I may be stronger than I was last time I tried, but real world cycling is more nuanced than just w/kg. Actually it was more flat and rolling roads that I struggled more with the race group when it was pure watts that mattered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

A training spin with an A or B Club Group is a whole other kettle of fish than being able to crank out decent power on a Turbo.

You'll be out with lads and lassies who are very used to racing in close contact at speed and who will expect you to be able to ride competently, safely and predictably even when you are on your limit.

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't give it a go but it might be better to go out with a more mixed group first and build up those skills.

For context I went on my first spin with a club mate a few weeks ago after months on the Turbo and riding solo. Rode right into his back wheel because I was looking down at my Garmin. No harm done but the shame!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Well I've verified my smart turbo and two power meters with each other, and they're all within their margin of error. I still wouldn't put myself in Cat B/ A2 in the real world! I may be stronger than I was last time I tried, but real world cycling is more nuanced than just w/kg. Actually it was more flat and rolling roads that I struggled more with the race group when it was pure watts that mattered!

+1. I'm in A on Zwiftpower. Anyone who's ever raced with me in the real world knows this doesn't translate to performance on the road.

Anyway, anyone in Wicklow/ South Dublin, Bray Wheelers have an Open Night (outside) coming up next week. The club are also running a Couch to 50km.

http://www.braywheelers.com/open-night-july-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Hi looking to join a cycling club now as got more into cycling during lockdown. I had a look at a few local clubs on Facebook they seem to have different levels for long spins , some are green red yellow others are just A,B,C groups. I'm mainly joining for the long spins at weekend , would the top A level Saturday/Sunday spins be ok level for a zwift Cat B rider? Thanks

You could try and Tri club as well, most have weekend long spins with different levels and week day rides and/or Zwift or Turbo sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What are your thoughts?
    Does your simulator simulate swallowing a fly?

:D

Advertisement