Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IKEA 'hack' - is this possible?

• 07-07-2020 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a tall chest of drawers, this is the perfect width and depth but not height. Does anyone think it would be possible to buy two, keep the legs off one and stack it on top of the other? i would fix both to the wall, but would I need to glue them in the middle?
    I have looked at the instructions for assembly and the legs are separate, but not great at reading those IKEA manuals so maybe someone handy here would have an opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

Yes its possible. the legs have dowels and a chipboard type screw that goes from the bottom into the leg.

Ive assembled these exact drawers before. When you attach both to the wall, i would also get chip board screws 40mm long and screw the bottom of the one on top to the top of the unit below to strengthen it up.

Might be worth mentioning though if you stack them the top drawers you wont be able to see into them? defeats the purpose maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

of course possible. Id mechanically secure them together rather than just glue

Id also make sure its fixed to a wall with wall fixings due to weight and fall protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

(beaten to it by someone with superior knowledge)

Roadtoad wrote: »
    You'd also need to be handy with a saw for cutting the legs square and smooth (fine blade). Follow up with a plane if needed.

The legs are not part of the bottom. If you just dont attach them they dont need to be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Yes, I thought about the top drawer issue. It would be 170cm tall without one set of legs (14cm long), I am 170cm tall exactly and husband is taller. We could consider leaving both sets of legs off. It's for an alcove exactly that width and depth, I'd prefer it with the legs though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

You'd be approaching €600 for a pile of MDF destined for a skip in a few years-for that kind of money you could do a lot better imo. Plus I doubt the "bottom half" would hold that extra weight. If you need an item of furniture with specific dimensions try wayfair.co.uk where you can filter by exact lengths then look for the same piece on sites that deliver to Ireland or via parcel motel.

sabat wrote: »
    You'd be approaching €600 for a pile of MDF destined for a skip in a few years-for that kind of money you could do a lot better imo. Plus I doubt the "bottom half" would hold that extra weight. If you need an item of furniture with specific dimensions try wayfair.co.uk where you can filter by exact lengths then look for the same piece on sites that deliver to Ireland or via parcel motel.

Don't understand the skip comment?

With regards to the weight, given the solid nature of the legs (they are solid timber) and the sides I wouldnt worry about the load trasnfer to the ground, but if you were, removing both sets of legs would certainly increase its load carrying ability.

Tefral wrote: »
    Don't understand the skip comment?

With regards to the weight, given the solid nature of the legs (they are solid timber) and the sides I wouldnt worry about the load trasnfer to the ground, but if you were, removing both sets of legs would certainly increase its load carrying ability.

It would be for the bedroom, so for clothes and shoes and the like. I could keep all the lighter stuff in the top half.
    I know what people say about IKEA furniture but I've looked at other sites and seen stuff I would go off in a few years that costs over 1,000 GBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

You could keep the toys in the top shelf, out of reach/sight of the kids.
    For privacy, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It looks like there is a fifth leg so If i was doing it I would look at fitting the second set of legs in line with the vertical uprights to reduce the risk of sagging
    To fix then together, use kitchen carcase connector bolts
    eg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CONNECTING-KITCHEN-CABINET-FURNITURE-CONNECTORS/dp/B072C5R4H2/ref=asc_df_B072C5R4H2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309775932390&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16256672636342427754&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20481&hvtargid=pla-694142975413&psc=1

And make damn sure its well fixed on top

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Thank you, everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

maxsmum wrote: »
    Thank you, everyone

Link to instructions here: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/assembly_instructions/bryggja-chest-of-9-drawers-dark-grey__AA-2147452-2_pub.pdf

All ikea instructors are downloadable on the detail section
    Page 29 of the manual shows the feet are dowels and screw with allen head,

Personally I'd line one unit on top of the other
    Then drill through the existing leg holes down through the top section of the Lower unit,
    Purchase some 6mm or 8mm bolts with lock nuts and penny washers to prevent them pulling through when tightening
    Forget the glue as it could end up jam sandwich out the sides,

Hand tighten the bugs and bolts job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wonder how easy it would be to join them with the bottom of the top unit removed, would look way better. A few pocket holes and dowels should do it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wonder how easy it would be to join them with the bottom of the top unit removed, would look way better. A few pocket holes and dowels should do it.

A T-square and pencil

Lay the top and bottom next to each other on the floor,
    Then mark up holes on to the underside of the bottom panel to replicate that of what is on the underside of the top.
    Then use a drill bit to meassure depth if required to then drill the correct depth for screw in dowels to go in.

Pick up a T-spuare in Mr.price for €5

LenWoods wrote: »
    A T-square and pencil

Lay the top and bottom next to each other on the floor,
    Then mark up holes on to the underside of the bottom panel to replicate that of what is on the underside of the top.
    Then use a drill bit to meassure depth if required to then drill the correct depth for screw in dowels to go in.

Pick up a T-spuare in Mr.price for €5

I had forgotten how ikea stuff goes together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think i would remove part of the carcass, I think it would weaken the structure.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I had forgotten how ikea stuff goes together!

Bit different when the person is looking to create a top section out of a bottom section;
    Above post is classed as a Temporary Process Change requiring the use of some additional equipment not specified in the original document.

looksee wrote: »
    I don't think i would remove part of the carcass, I think it would weaken the structure.

Perhaps read the book on the three little pigs before progressing on to the IKEA manual

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

maxsmum wrote:
    It would be for the bedroom, so for clothes and shoes and the like. I could keep all the lighter stuff in the top half. I know what people say about IKEA furniture but I've looked at other sites and seen stuff I would go off in a few years that costs over 1,000 GBP.

Don't take any note of that. IKEA furniture (most models i know) are well suited for longevity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Removing one panel as described is the only right way to do this. Otherwise you will have two panel thickness at the middle height and will always look like 2 units stacked.
    Removing a panel will make into a perfect double height unit.

• Advertisement

You’d obviously want to be fixing it to the wall as well either way.

no.8 wrote: »
    Don't take any note of that. IKEA furniture (most models i know) are well suited for longevity.

+1
    I've spent €1100 on a PAX wardrobe configuration this time last year and its 100%
    A little bit of wood glue on dowels with some toilet roll to wipe off the excess during assembly makes a great difference
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=766329

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Check out kallax
    Loads of options there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Or eket

Advertisement