Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryobi ONE+ tools

• 07-07-2020 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I bought a Ryobi cordless strimmer recently, about €120. It's working very well but one of the reasons I bought it was the "ONE" technology ie their other tools take the same battery. You only need 1 x charger + 2-3 spare batteries

Well you do, but on pricing the spare batteries they come in around €50-75 apiece!

At that price you're almost cheaper buying a whole new drill or whatever inc a battery + charger (even though you don't need either)

Seems a total waste and my idea of having a few spare batteries would end up costing a lot. Anyone else notice this or see any way of getting the batteries cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They batteries are great btw and last years.

Note you can by Ryobi Style batteries on amazon for half the price that fit the ONE system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

listermint wrote: »
    They batteries are great btw and last years.

Note you can by Ryobi Style batteries on amazon for half the price that fit the ONE system

those cheap knock offs are terrible and dangerous. for the sake of 25 euro you would be better off getting a genuine one

check out all the tool shops in the uk . some have great sales on bateries. try ffx, powertool mate, d and m, lawsons, its, data, powertool world , etc

those cheap knock offs are terrible and dangerous. for the sake of 25 euro you would be better off getting a genuine one

check out all the tool shops in the uk . some have great sales on bateries. try ffx, powertool mate, d and m, lawsons, its, data, powertool world , etc

You cant sell dangerous stuff in the EU, so thats a bit unfair.

But yes they may not be as good as the OEM ones in terms of power and length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

I'll check those thanks, but I'm still mystified how a drill+charger+ battery can sell for €80 but the battery itself is about €50 (B&Q)

I think it's a bit like printers the printer is cheap but wait until you need more ink...

Anyway very disappointed with Ryobi if this is the case, I'm trying to save the planet by not buying extra chargers and tools I don't need lol

They do sell "tool only" versions, I presume these don't include a charger or battery, seems pointless when most folks would want at least one extra battery they can charge while you're using the tool

But yes they may not be as good as the OEM ones in terms of power and length of time.
    i have seen far too many pics on line and facebook groups of knock off bateries going on fire to ever think about getting any.

• Advertisement

This is UK prices the drill + charger + 2 x batteries is £90

https://www.diy.com/departments/ryobi-one-cordless-1-3a-18v-brushed-percussion-drill-2-batteries-r18pd3-213s/4892210152725_BQ.prd

I don't really need a drill but at that price...

Does anyone know the difference between 1.2 and 2.0 Ah batteries?

Does the bigger one deliver more torque or just run for longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Chelon wrote: »
    Does anyone know the difference between 1.2 and 2.0 Ah batteries?

Does the bigger one deliver more torque or just run for longer?
    I have a good few ryobi tools and I use the 2.5amp batteries for light tools but you want 4amp for anything heavy like a sds drill or angle grinder

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

This video(second half) gives a good insight into the different batteries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVMwp4Hm7OQ&ab_channel=CharlieDIYte

its just how long it lasts.

• Advertisement

Tockman wrote: »
    This video(second half) gives a good insight into the different batteries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVMwp4Hm7OQ&ab_channel=CharlieDIYte

Very interesting - so a difference of opinion on here, but looks like more Ah does indeed = more power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Very interesting - so a difference of opinion on here, but looks like more Ah does indeed = more power
    What size battery came with the strimer you bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a bunch of ryobi one kit from back when they were blue before the dayglow green and lots of new gear. The old batteries are doing fine still and perfect for the odd ikea build . The strimmer really needs at least 4ah to be useful, the one that came with mine was 2.5ah and its not fit for much work. Any non ryobi generic battery I tried has not lasted and use really cheap cells that are far below the stated capacity.

I also have hedge trimmers, lights, fans, impact drivers and a tyre inflator. Ryobi have always been committed to the battery fitting compared to other brands which extends the life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Its true, for example the circular saw only works from 4ah but really needs 5. When building the kids play area the impact driver could only drive the screws fully home using 4ah. 2.5ah would only go halfway in.

i have seen far too many pics on line and facebook groups of knock off bateries going on fire to ever think about getting any.

I've little respect for anyone who takes their information from anything they've seen on Facebook.

You really need to adjust your sources dramatically.

Its like a daily mail outrage click festival.. its sole purpose is to get your arse to click on fake rubbish videos to get you interested or outraged. Complete disinformation. I'd suggest deleting it but you might take offence to that.

I've little respect for anyone who takes their information from anything they've seen on Facebook.

You really need to adjust your sources dramatically.

Its like a daily mail outrage click festival.. its sole purpose is to get your arse to click on fake rubbish videos to get you interested or outraged. Complete disinformation. I'd suggest deleting it but you might take offence to that.

im not talking about crap posted by facebook. thats mostly rubbish or click bate

im a member of quite a few tool and woodworking groups. i dont see why (or how) normal trademen would post pics of their tools on fire or having been on fire. why would they . i used to regularly see people complainging that the fake bateries failed and stopped working

I've a decent amount of the one+ stuff but would consider myself a heavy DIY user.
    I've had 3 tools stop working on me in a year.
    The oscillating multitool and the SDS drill (twice).
    Both times they were replaced/repaired but that's no good when your half way through a job.
    I still wouldn't write them off as absolute dirt,they are cheap and mostly get the job done.
    I was probably going a bit hard on the SDS drills to be honest.

The drill and impact driver cant be faulted,also the area worklight is fantastic.

I have decided to get away from them now and bought into the makita 18v one battery system.
    Time will tell!

massy086 wrote: »

I'll check later when I get home. I asked a mate who is a very knowledgeable engineer and he said more voltage only delivers longer life not more power, which makes sense to me, unless there are other factors at play?

Going back to my original point it was more the pricing I was having a gripe at, it seems to be a marketing thing but at those prices I feel they've shot them selves in the foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

The voltage doesn't change between batteries, 18v for them all. Its the electrical charge that changes between them. A larger Ah battery can deliver more power as they usually have a higher max discharge rate.

I have a few of these tools and find the 4Ah battery gives a bit more torque but not a huge difference. The 2Ah battery works fine on circular saw and angle grinder but you can be more forceful with the 4ah battery.

You can get deals on tools with batteries or if you keep an eye on argos they discount the 4ah and 5ah batteries all the time.

massy086 wrote: »

Just checked it's a 1.3Ah - I get about an hour out of it which isn't too bad - but for a drill etc I'd want max torque, compared to a strimmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Have to completely disagree with you here. Many Chinese sellers ship their dodgy knock off gear to a EU warehouse and they are frequently listed on Amazon, Ebay, etc, as being UK stock, when in fact they not.

Don't be fooled by the CE mark either. The Chinese CE (Chinese Export) mark is almost a duplicate.

Advertisement