Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

They are obliged to offer them, but at a minimum rate of 0c

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They will offer 4c for FIT then charge 50c day and 25c night. In other words, you are better of getting nothing for your production as is the case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well Pinergy are already offering 13.5, but charging nearly 40c lol.

If you rarely buy electricity from the grid because you are mostly self sufficient with a huge PV array and a massive battery, then such a FIT might start to make sense 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have a massive battery and have been pretty much off the grid for the last 10 days.

But in the dead of winter with a 25c night rate, even with load shifting, I'd be coughing up more than €6 a day plus standing charge of €40 a month. Which would be a hefty €450+ for a 2 month bill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I think you both are correct. We are at a point where switching mid year to another provider is worth the 50 euro penalty.

I did it for the 300 ev money already. And I could see the sense here in taking the fit for summer then in winter switching for cheap night rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'd be looking closely to the t&cs before going down that route in case a cap was on export.

Also, one probably needs a smart meter, which will leave you with a poor night rate next winter if you want to charge batteries and load shift.

Not worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

AH Yes - I forgot the Smart Meter requirement. I cant be giving up my Day/Night meter for this....... but IF I had been forced a (NotSo)SmartMeter and I had a big battery like Phil... then maybe. I actually switched early with EI - got the 50 penalty - switched back to SSE and removed the penalty - switched back again two weeks later to EI and got the 300 a second time. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

I thought if you didn't have a smart meter they simply used an average depending on size of your system?

I'm currently on smart meter and will be using the 5.5c bord gais EV rate to charge my batteries during winter. I hope they don't force into a different plan in order to get fit because if they do i won't be switching as any benefit would be gone by losing this cheap ev rate

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Since I am from that part of the world I would recommend if posible going with something bigger if you have space, especially since you have electric heating. 5kW systems are on the small side in that part of the world. Spring and summers are good in there. 4.5kW system has generated 800kWh in March but this month was really clear over there and cold so figures are high, the same as Ireland. But in autumn and winter it gets very dark and generation is worse than in Ireland. Actually in winter it so bad that most people just power off their systems completely.

The metering systems is the other problem since it is from soviet era. All PV builds must have 3 phases coming into the house but the metering cannot calculate properly. So if you generate 4kWh and export it on one phase but use 4kWh on the on the other and need to import you are being charged for that import.

The most common option the people use is 1. The only problem is that you do not use everything by then of March you lose it. Since is the first month when you are actualy start generating more than you use you lose all gains. There are talks that 0.05 rate is not going to last.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I think the plan is to estimate if you haven't gotten a smart meter yet but if you have refused a smart meter, then you don't get the FIT. If you do get a smart meter, there's no obligation to move to a smart plan, but your old plan may not exist any more if you move off it and want to move back.

This is why smart meters are going to kill people.

What family is going to be able to NOT cook meals for kids at peak times?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Thats why batteries make sense - fill it at cheaper rate or with PV and then use it later when prices are higher

Can't be based on refusing a smart meter as everyone on day/night plan has to refuse as that plan is not available if you switch to a smart meter (don't understand why when these smart meters can handle 3 time periods -- whats so hard about 2 where one of them changes by an hour twice a year -- they could even just make it be 12-9 or 11-8 all year round if changing Summertime is too complex!!!)

Smart meters can do night / day no problem. But the utility companies want to lure you with their extremely lucrative smart plans. Lucrative for them that is. Not for us. Be very careful and do your sums and a few different scenarios, before you sign up to any of the new plans.

No intention of getting smart meter yet, whole estate upgraded recently but made sure to tell install i had day/night so skip on by.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Maybe I'm missing something - but have any electricity providers announced FIT rates yet?

And will they be allowed to put you onto a special tariff to enable FIT, as suggested above?

Maybe I'm overly naive but I thought that the FIT would be completely separate from the tariff for electricity consumption!

Just about to get panels installed, and waiting for FIT details before locking down battery size...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Pinergy have a 13.5c fit.

However, they also have a 38c unit rate on the same plan! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

whats this 300 euro ev about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

In fairness, it looks like 38c is their standard rate: https://pinergy.ie/terms-conditions/tariffs/

(Which seems excessive - I'm with SSE and paying 18c)

Is it the case that all providers will need to have a FIT from July?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Technically yes, but they don't have to pay you anything for it. The minimum rate is set at 0.

And it's to count from Feb I think.

July is the next cycle.

Article in Independent.

https://m.independent.ie/news/environment/over-21000-customers-to-be-paid-by-esb-for-their-solar-power-energy-41629327.html

What happens if you've switched suppliers since february. Does your current provider pay full backdated payment or claim they are only liable from time you moved to them!!!

Also if its back dated could I just switch to pinergy and they pay all the backdated export or will people need to be contacting old and new supplier if payment is annual or every 6 months. Impression I've got is this won't be paid with every bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Hi, are these fit payment available under a standard day night type tarrif or must you move to a smart tarrif to avail of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Surely that is cheating on their part.

Has anyone complained to d'EU about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

I'd assume payment is from when you signed up with new provider and would have to chase older supplier for owed payment previously.

Pinergy are only paying once a year in January. Bord gais paying from July

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I don't know. But I'd be really grateful if someone could answer it for certain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes, I believe so, and even if you dont have a smart meter (which is the only way to record/measure what you feed in to the grid), you will still receive a payment based on your system size & an assumed amount that you're system size would typically feed back to the grid. So this is where the "use everything you produce" rule really comes into it's own as you'll get a FIT payment regardless of if you actually export anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If you sent in your NC6 and are approved for connection by ESB Networks but have not actually connected your inverter yet would they actually know?

Would they start paying out based on your system size from the form application?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I called BG and they said they said don't know the unit rate yet but they said a smart meter is needed and the export factor is 9 (whatever that means) and the export needs to be between 0-6kw which I assume is the inverter size.

But that's probably jus the operator not knowing much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

re ESB Networks, the form just lets them know there is PV in operation at the house, they have no way of knowing whether in use or not without the use of a Smart Meter.

In the UK there was payout based on system size but that will not be happening here, it will be metered only export as measure by a Smart Meter

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement