Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have you got a source, I have read the opposite recently, in the absence of a smart meter it's a payment on system size

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I think someone on here even had the calculation that would be used for the payment based on system size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yes it 100% paid out for anyone who doesn't have a smart meter by using their calculation based in inverter size on nc6 form. But they do note that refusal at a later stage to have a smart meter may affect future payments but for now anyone with solar in will get paid, be it with smart meter or not

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Provided you haven't rejected a smart meter, you will get an estimated export based on the size of your inverter (submitted to ESBN on the NC6). See page 26 of the attached:

Basically, multiply your inverter size by 297.402 to get the amount of deemed export. e.g 5kW inverter => 5 * 297.402 = 1,487.01kWh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I do apologise, I did not realise that was in place, that's madness but at the same time a derisory amount assuming 4c FIT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Even at 4c a unit using above calculation, it would be 60 euro to knock off yearly spend. Not massive amounts but not to be sniffed at as alternative is giving it away for free. Now if was more than 4c better again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Do I need to do anything to qualify for that estimated FiT?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

you just need to be sure that ESBN have received your micro generation NC6 form from the installer.

You can email them and simply ask;

esbnetworks@esb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hold on here!! lets do a TLDR of the last few posts

In summary what they are saying is if you have put in your NC6 for your PV system they will estimate how much you should have exported based on a formula and they are going give you money backdated to Feb based on this (for me €71 for the whole year based on 4c/kWh) even though I don't have a smart meter or signed up to any FIT tariff.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yup. Though in your case, you've probably exported more than the deemed amount. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That would seem to be about the sum of it alright. Considering I'm basically NEVER exporting, I'll be getting (roughly) about the same amount as you do, and here is my export since Jan1st.

Or for me that works out as an effective FIT of ~€5/unit - yes that is not missing a decimal point. Crazy system!

I'll believe it when I see it, but yeah......on the surface bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sunday was the first day since the end of last summer that I exported a single unit. I'll take that feed in tariff though all the same, no problem. I've just emailed networkservicesbureau@esb.ie informing them of my new 6kW inverter (my original NC6 form had my older but identical 3.6kW inverter on it - same cert and all)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yep😪..formula is saying I should export 1,784kWh, but already this year I have exported 1,241 kWh (and I only started measuring my export in late January!)might reach that limit before the end of this month. I have only used 35% of what I have generated so far this year.

EV charger being fitted tomorrow and ID4 hopefully rocking up next month so I need to up that self consumption percentage

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

While this is clearly nuts I'll gladly take whatever they are offering, considering I export very little.

Has anyone got this in place yet? Do you just call your energy provider? The article wasn't very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think a few people are getting ahead of themselves here. There is nothing new in the Independent article posted earlier in this thread and there is no 4c FiT being offered either.

The providers need to provide a FiT this summer and they can set the FiT at any price they like all the way down to 0c if they wish.

If you dont have a smart meter when the FiT goes live, ESB Networks will use the values in your NC6 form to give an estimated export value and they provide that value to your provider so they can incorporate it into their bill... but they can still decide to give you 0c/kWh if they wish so it may not matter if the calculation throws up 100kWh's or 2000kWh's!

Or, what is more likely to happen is they give you a decent FiT unit price but they then hammer you on a punitive day and/or night rate... give with one hand and take with the other. Until we see actual FiT tariffs we are all in the dark!

Anyway, nothing has changed recently as far as I can tell and that article is just regurgitating whats already known for many months... unless I've missed a notice somewhere?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Forget about FIT, go the battery route and be done with it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

This FIT is a utter sxit show. It should be very straightforward but no our lot has to go out of their way to make it blindingly confusing.

Just carry on as if it will never happen and get some batteries.

Yeah I bet the rate they all set for estimated feed will be €0.00/kWh

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I think I that's why the main players haven't announced anything yet. Either wait to blinks first or no point announcing bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Also if they don't announce then they don't have to pay anybody

Also don't forget they can lump in more impediments, like Energia requiring you to buy a specific battery only from them which costs a fortune

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Couldn't agree more, the way it's shaping up you're better off sticking with the cheapest day/night tariff, charging batteries at night during winter, and just giving away the electricity during summer

Maybe you can have a smart plug that only activates when exporting out the front and just let your neighbours plug stuff in whenever they want. Since you're effectively powering their houses for free anyway then you might as well save them some money as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's exactly what a regular on this forum does, he is too modest to mention it but he lets his neighbour, who I think is a single mother, charge up her car for hours on end on his zappi as he uses very little electricity and otherwise it would just go to the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭WattsUp

I recently got Solar PV system and as I own an EV so have an a day/night meter because the rates are far better than smart meter rates for charging the car at night.

I'm told "feed in tariffs" are on the way and that I should have a smart meter to avail of them. Problem is the smart meter tariffs are not good on night rate compared to day/night meter.

Does anyone have estimate as to what the export tariffs will be for Energia ? My current import rates at 23c/11c

Does anyone know if/how will I get paid if I haven't been offered a smart meter yet ? I'm not likely to accept it even when offered until I figure out PV usage over a full year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭con747

Only one company has given a figure of 13.5c FIT, but are charging over the odds on the other rates. Hopefully Electric Ireland will announce a figure next month and the rest will follow or release around the same time. At the minute you will be paid on estimated export based on the size of your inverter if you have no smart meter. I think you have the old reverse dial type meter that goes backwards so keep it as long as you can. Have a look here. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058094040/pv-feed-in-tariff/p11

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I have a day/night meter and intend to stay on a "dumb" day/night tariff as it currently better value than and smart tariff for my use case charging car overnight. However I'm told I cannot get paid for exported electricity if I refuse a smart meter.

Just wondering if I can accept the smart meter but remain on a "dumb day/night tariff" as indicated below from Energia website.

FROM ENERGIA WEBSITE BELOW

Can I change back to a non-smart tariff after I have moved to smart?

No. It is not possible to move back to a non-smart meter tariff once you have selected a Smart Tariff from Energia. You can have a Smart meter installed and remain on your current non-smart tariff.

I believe only old non day/night meters are currently being upgraded to smart meters, so you shouldn’t have to refuse one for a good while yet, and therefore will get the estimated FIT pay based on your system size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I have read that it is possible to have both - once you never go to smart tariff. DO i trust this? No i do not. WHat happens when the contract ends? If you arent on the ball - the providers normally move you to a stadard rate (ie more expensive and liekly in this case , smart as well). Also what if you decide before contract ends to move to another provider for a different tariff? will that provider take you on as a non-smart tariff? This is not clear - so for me for these reasons - i am out.

I hear you. Interestingly I was just talking to Energia and they said that ESB are not swapping day/night meters to smart meter yet! I'm thinking once I figure out FIT from the mainstream supplies I will decide if smart makes any since......In the meantime I think I will get paid for export based on a paper calculation where as in reality 90% of my surplus goes into the car so not so bad anyway :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You can't get a day/night tariff on a smart meter.

Advertisement