Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Northumberland

I wonder if that might have been Pinergy? I see they seem to have their own meters with special rates for specific times such as 5pm to 7pm. Could you PM me the name of the company that offered you the smart meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Looks like needle in a haystack trying to find any real news on FIT but by reading these threads looks like what you'll get back with FIT won't be like for like, i.e. if you pay 13c/kw then they won't credit you 13c right?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Looks like needle in a haystack trying to find any real news on FIT but by reading these threads looks like what you'll get back with FIT won't be like for like, i.e. if you pay 13c/kw then they won't credit you 13c right?

There has been no news since the consultation ended.

But no it won't be like for like. Average wholesale will be the best estimate*

*There is a proposal for a premium rate, subsidied, with caps and ber requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

So - is what I have a 'smart meter' or not?

I got a day/night meter in December and was told it would be replaced with Smart Meter free of charge. I must follow up with ESB on this now as I do export to grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ec_pc wrote: »
    I got a day/night meter in December and was told it would be replaced with Smart Meter free of charge. I must follow up with ESB on this now as I do export to grid.

You can get a smart meter now but your provider may not yet support the day/night rate on it, so be careful before you pull the trigger on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

SD_DRACULA wrote: »

It will be more like 5-7c than 13c I'd say.... but no one knows yet.

Its to go live in July so we'll know soon enough.

Yes, let me know please how you get on with that. I found them quite helpful, surprisingly perhaps, they accepted that they DID have a list of people wishing to be 'early adopters' because they had solar panels (which they did not do last time I called them), and, to my surprise, said I was already on their list. But what did not sound very hopeful was the statement that '3 months ahead of time' I will get a message from ESB saying when installation is planned. Lets see now, payments supposed to start in July, so June, May, April - so we should expect messages next week - or at least next month!. But of course, they say they are actually doing no installation at all at the moment because of Covid. (what the risk is to a an engineer working alone outside of a house is beyond me, but there we are).

as per my other post below, how exactly will it 'go live in July' when there are very few smart meters around, and they have not even started installing them again. When I asked my own electricity company (SSE Airtricity), who were phoning me to bug me to renew my contract, when they would announce what the export payment would be, the guy said he would find out, then called me back, and said ' we will not be dealing with that - it will all be handled by ESB, ask them!)

-

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I got my smartmeter last summer. My current provider does not have any smart plans. Electricireland and bodgais started offering them recently but financially they do not make much sense. I do not export a lot as I have battery and diverter but once/if FIT becomes available I will as long as it make sense. As others I could not find any info on the rates but again I do not expect much. The best we can hope to get is wholesale price but even then I would not hold my breath. In some EU countries micro producers are using national grid as the storage for exports and paying a fee for that. So users can accumulate whatever they export and then pull it back when needed. I think the rate is ~4c per kw for storage. This looks a pretty good option to me.

4c for storage, maybe a reasonable fee, particularly if you were to 'draw down' on that stored energy between 5pm and 7pm and signed up to one of those variable rate tariffs that have very high rates for use at that time.

But I am about to change my provider and sign up to one that offers an 'Electric Car Owner deal', I guess I am not supposed to give the name of the company, but they are offering a night rate of just 4.78 cents, inc. VAT. That rate is probably so low that it becomes economic to charge my (8kWH) of battery storage overnight, especially if not much sun is predicted the next da, even taking account of the depreciation that this will cause to the useful life of the battery.

• Advertisement

4c for storage, maybe a reasonable fee, particularly if you were to 'draw down' on that stored energy between 5pm and 7pm and signed up to one of those variable rate tariffs that have very high rates for use at that time.

But I am about to change my provider and sign up to one that offers an 'Electric Car Owner deal', I guess I am not supposed to give the name of the company, but they are offering a night rate of just 4.78 cents, inc. VAT. That rate is probably so low that it becomes economic to charge my (8kWH) of battery storage overnight, especially if not much sun is predicted the next da, even taking account of the depreciation that this will cause to the useful life of the battery.
    This is pretty good deal. Do they actually check if you own EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

KCross wrote: »
    You can get a smart meter now..

nope, I wish. I rang ESBN, talked to a lovely lady. she informed me that they are not installing now, that they don't know when they'll be starting again, that the early adopter list is really meaningless and they're just following an old regional plan (does a plan really exist?!), and a submitted NC6 form just alerts crews that the property has an active PV system, it does not prioritise your property.
    disappointing (maddening really) so does anyone personally know anyone in ESB\N who actually knows the plan? just shows, once a semi-state always a semi-state!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

as per my other post below, how exactly will it 'go live in July' when there are very few smart meters around, and they have not even started installing them again. When I asked my own electricity company (SSE Airtricity), who were phoning me to bug me to renew my contract, when they would announce what the export payment would be, the guy said he would find out, then called me back, and said ' we will not be dealing with that - it will all be handled by ESB, ask them!)

-

The smart meters are live and posting back nightly. Data is available for viewing

Below is my profile for yesterday

reklamos wrote: »
    This is pretty good deal. Do they actually check if you own EV?
    Not as far as I can see from their Web sign up page, but I will not know until I try, and I dont want to try for another 4 weeks, because I dont want to break my contract early with my present provider (danger of course that they will change their offers by then!).

jkforde wrote: »
    nope, I wish. I rang ESBN, talked to a lovely lady. she informed me that they are not installing now, that they don't know when they'll be starting again, that the early adopter list is really meaningless and they're just following an old regional plan (does a plan really exist?!), and a submitted NC6 form just alerts crews that the property has an active PV system, it does not prioritise your property.
    disappointing (maddening really) so does anyone personally know anyone in ESB\N who actually knows the plan? just shows, once a semi-state always a semi-state!
    I know someone who got a smart meter fitted just 2 weeks ago, in spite of them telling me, like you, that they are not fitting meters. This guys mother had a meter that had broken completely in some way, so ESB were called, came, and said they would replace it with a smart meter (even though she had not specifically requested one) but the son was keen, so appraoched the 'crew' and said fit one for me as well, and a couple of weeks later, they came back and did just that. So the message seems to be - 'encourage your old meter to have some sort of 'accident' - perhaps a slate will be blown off the roof on to it' then they will come and sort it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

I know someone who got a smart meter fitted just 2 weeks ago, in spite of them telling me, like you, that they are not fitting meters. This guys mother had a meter that had broken completely in some way, so ESB were called, came, and said they would replace it with a smart meter (even though she had not specifically requested one) but the son was keen, so appraoched the 'crew' and said fit one for me as well, and a couple of weeks later, they came back and did just that. So the message seems to be - 'encourage your old meter to have some sort of 'accident' - perhaps a slate will be blown off the roof on to it' then they will come and sort it out!

haha, doesn't surprise me. and yeah, I've asked for a D\N meter so hoping that once they come out that they'll just swap it with a smart one! :)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

ted1 wrote: »
    The smart meters are live and posting back nightly. Data is available for viewing

Below is my profile for yesterday

Is this something specific to electric Ireland or where else could I see it? My meter was changed out in June

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

haha, doesn't surprise me. and yeah, I've asked for a D\N meter so hoping that once they come out that they'll just swap it with a smart one! :)

I only got my day/night meter in February, I would of asked for smart one but at the time smart meters were dumb and only on 24h tarif. I was also told under covid rules no meter changes of any kind happening and then randomly 3-4 weeks later an ESB van appears to do change over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

a submitted NC6 form just alerts crews that the property has an active PV system, it does not prioritise your property.

KN went on a spree of installing smart meters in my area (D18) a few months ago. As far as I could see, the only house they skipped was mine (with PV and a DN meter).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

spose wrote: »
    Is this something specific to electric Ireland or where else could I see it? My meter was changed out in June

Check your provider, esbN collect the data and pass it it to the provider

I changed over to a smart plan. I now get billed monthly and can see how much it’ll be as it accumulates daily

• Advertisement

There was a full page article in the Sunday Times Money Section (Irish edition) today with the above title - by Eithne Dunne. It talks about the options being considered by the Department of the Environment, 5c per kWh along with the grant, or perhaps 10c per kWh 'and lose the grant'. I think that is similar to what has already been said on this forum. What is new to me at least in today's article is the statement that "the scheme will limit the proportion of electricity you can sell to 30 per cent of power generated. With the rest, it's a case of use it or lose it". If this is indeed correct it will raise the question of how - whoever it is that pays the micro-generator - will know how much power is generated by the solar array - the new smart meters will only measure imports and exports from the grid will they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

There was a full page article in the Sunday Times Money Section (Irish edition) today with the above title - by Eithne Dunne. It talks about the options being considered by the Department of the Environment, 5c per kWh along with the grant, or perhaps 10c per kWh 'and lose the grant'. I think that is similar to what has already been said on this forum. What is new to me at least in today's article is the statement that "the scheme will limit the proportion of electricity you can sell to 30 per cent of power generated. With the rest, it's a case of use it or lose it". If this is indeed correct it will raise the question of how - whoever it is that pays the micro-generator - will know how much power is generated by the solar array - the new smart meters will only measure imports and exports from the grid will they not?

Tried to find digital version of this online but no joy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yep, Smart meter can only measure what goes in and what comes out.

This has been talked about a few times, in the proposal, of the consultation (what that article has to be based on, because, there is no new information out there).

It is proposed that there is 2 tariffs, CEG(Clean export guarantee) and CEP(Clean export premium)
    The CEG to be available to everyone, based on the wholesale rate of electricity, the supplies have to give the minimum, but can offer more.

The CEP- that is a subsidised rate, with caps (most likely an arbitary 30% of predicted solar generation, The PV-GIS is pretty accurate on average), BER rating requirements, etc and only for installs after the 30th of june 2021

Consult doc: https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/0ada2-public-consultation-on-a-micro-generation-support-scheme-mss-in-ireland/

TLDR, first pdf, skip to pg 33 for the questions asked in the consult.

I think 30% would be based on the max kW that PV can produce. From what I've seen in other countries, before anyone can export they need to submit a request and provide details about the setup. This is required because the grid needs to check if it can take the max load provided. I'd say this should not be an issue ROI at the moment as there are still few PV, most installations are single phase and we do not have space on the roofs to put massive arrays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

reklamos wrote: »
    I think 30% would be based on the max kW that PV can produce. From what I've seen in other countries, before anyone can export they need to submit a request and provide details about the setup. This is required because the grid needs to check if it can take the max load provided. I'd say this should not be an issue ROI at the moment as there are still few PV, most installations are single phase and we do not have space on the roofs to put massive arrays.

Is this not already done before installing with the nc6 form?

irishchris wrote: »
    Is this not already done before installing with the nc6 form?
    It is, but I would assume that only people who are applying for the grant are filling it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and plenty of folk put in more panels/strings/expansion afterwards

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

I moved from smart meter to day/night meter in January and was told we obviously need to move back to a smart meter in order to benefit from the FIT. I am just off the phone with ESB Networks and all smart meter deployments are on hold since Christmas due to covid.

Regardless of Covid, day/night meters were only scheduled to be moved to Smart Meters in 2022 in conjunction with when your area is migrating to smart meters.

In our case the entire area is on smart meters for those on 24 hour meters and there is no dates for them revisiting. I have been added to a list because I am exporting to the grid but I just need to check back after Covid restrictions are lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

ec_pc wrote: »
    I am just off the phone with ESB Networks and all smart meter deployments are on hold since Christmas due to covid.

They told me that yesterday(about delay due to covid) by email and I got a call from an engineer this afternoon telling me they were doing a job nearby and can do mine.

It's fitted now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

Has anyone looked at energia feed in plan?

https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/grid

Seems you must have their battery to avail of feed in.

Advertisement