Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭steamdave

I will change to SSE. If a better offer comes along after I've signed on the dotted line, I can always pay a small penalty to get out of the contract (IE is EU50) if I think it is financially advantageous.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Just saw this on the SSE microgen page:

Looks to me like a very big FU to those of us who went back from smart meters/denied one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats a condition of all the operators, not just SSE.

Well it only says if you refuse it so technically it wasn't offered and then refused, hoping that is the loophole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Would it be a case that you have to have received the letter from ESBN for the install and you let them know "no thanks"?

• Advertisement

At the moment its only those on 24hr tariffs that are getting the smart meters.

If you are on a day/night tariff you won't be offered a smart meter just yet, so you won't be down as refused and since the d/n meter can't read export you will get the "deemed export" value which is a calculated value based on your array size.

Once they start offering the smart meter to day/night customers and you refuse it at that stage, then you are forfeiting the FiT. That hasn't happened yet though... no idea when they will be offering smart meters to d/n customers.

I have received the letter last year because I had (stupidly - thinking FIT was supposed to happen then) asked to have it done as priority and they installed the smart meter then.

Then a few weeks back I swapped it for d/n so technically the initial letter I did accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

The fact that you swapped back may go against you.

Meh, ultimately it's a nice to have but doubt it will get me anything back worthwhile as I will probably export way under 1000kwh this year since the 20kwh batteries went in and in winter will be charging them on the night rate anyway.

It would only be beneficial if they pay the deemed export which would be a lot higher

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did anyone here fill out the NC6 forms themselves here? ESB informed me my installer never sent them in a couple of years ago, I've contacted them to get it sorted so hopefully I won't have to but just wanted to get a head start on it in case I do.

Is it just the NC6 form or is there anything else that needs to go with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

I initially asked to be put on priority list for a smart meter 😂🙄 , then heeded the sage advice on here and cancelled the priority request and asked for a D\N instead, so probably my MPRN is marked as opt-out on ESBN side (head-bang).. I've asked Energia anyhow to check on their end if they have access to that data

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I filled in my own NC6 and sent it in. At the time an electrician did not need to sign this but someone on here recently said this has now changed.

It was sent in with the inverter EN cert and some other details about the panels and capacity. Very little was needed.

The ESB then confirmed I could connect the inverter/generation to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

How does one go about checking ift heir NC6 was sent in by the installer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Email esbnetworks@esb.ie with your MPRN and address and ask them to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Got an email back from ESB to say they’ll only be paying from the date the smart meter is installed.

“Please be assured that your microgen credit will be backdated to either the date the legislation was enacted (February 15th 2022), or the date at which your smart meter was connected, whichever is later.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

... missing the grey area here... what do u get if no smart meter has ever been offered...

You get the "deemed export".

Its a calculated value based on the size of your array regardless of whether you actually exported it or not.

See here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It is based on the size of the inverter (per the NC6) rather than the size of the array.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭con747

I rang up ESBN to check the details on mine were correct and they told me no problem.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

The NC6 has inverter and array size. I assumed it would be the based on installed capacity, not theoretical capacity, but if they do then all the better for those that oversized their inverters.

It won’t change the numbers a huge deal for the vast majority either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

But this states that if you only got a smart meter last week you will only be paid from last week. That seems contrary to the legislation to my reading.

Yeah, it does. So either they are pulling a sly one, or they have made a mistake.

I’ve replied about the legislation so will see what they say. But it’s back and forth over email every few days.

No payment until you get a smart meter perhaps? I don’t think they have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

I registered an official complaint with my supplier. No FIT information, no dates, no timeline... My next contact should be initiated by the supplier within the next 10 days.

The complaints process should lead to a final answer issuing to the customer within two months, except in cases where the customer is not engaging or there are technical reasons that require a longer period. In such instances the supplier must communicate the expected timeline to the customer

My thinking is that if there are enough officially recorded complaints, then the CRU, will consider them in the review (assuming that ever happens). I'm not expecting a resolution any time soon. This is probably a long game thing.

This has annoyed me.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Fair play, im guessing its EI. I left them on Thursday and emailed to say why. I'm not expecting a answer. It felt good though. If more people walk and tell them why they might just might get the message.

I'm with energia D/N rate and contract up this month.

What's people's thinking on best port, currently?

@MAULBROOK I am heading that way too. But I have €150 in credit, 800 kWH fed to the grid since Feb 15, and 7 months left on contact. None of these will stop the walk.

A small bit more wait and see will not kill me though, and I kinda want to see how this official complaint route goes.

I also think that a complaint, official, with a number, is a bigger PITA for the supplier than a walk. At only ~26,000, we are still very much an awkward niche, easily overlooked.

Could the strategy be they just want us of the books? A cleaner tactic would have been too say 0¢ FIT in March. The way things are going I feel I'm being mugged by a loophole opened by the CRU and exploited by some suppliers. I don't like that feeling.

@[Deleted User] For me it's SSE. But I don't have D/N. I do have a small battery, and I do export ~1MWH/ year.

It's crazy complicated to compare plans when you have solar, battery, diverter, ev and your own usage pattern... And very individual

If you have time you can try out my handy comparison tool: github.com/Tonyslogic/tout-compare. Bit of effort required to input data, but it helps me. It's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you're looking for a FIT then the only realistic port is SSE at the moment

Luckily they seem fairly competitive with Energia.

If you have a good idea of how much you'll export then it's worth adding up the money from export and comparing to the difference in cost between suppliers

For example if you make €100 from export but your imported energy goes up by €200 then it's better to stay where you are and give your solar away for free

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭irishchris

I left bord gais at end of may but had still exported several hundred kWh to them before leaving. Contacted them last week to seek the date on payment for it and they have pushed back ridiculously again from original promise of July to August to now AUTUMN!

How they can get away with this is mind boggling and shame the regulator seems to be absolutely useless in this country.

"Our Micro-generation tariff will be available this Autumn and payments will be back-dated to the date of legislation (15th February) once you were micro-generating and were our customer at that time. If you are eligible for a smart meter, you must also have one installed to qualify for a payment."

Advertisement