Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You might remind them that August is autumn 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Put your usage into bonkers.ie and see what pops up as the cheapest. I would not be making any assumptions of any FIT for this year, Pick the best for you right now, and sure Its only a €50 contract break charge if something turns up better.

For my usage, even with me breaking the 2000kwh of night units, energia's EV plan was the best for me.

Thats a contentious statement, I was taught that Aug was autumn.. across the border its sept! ... it does fit, Midsummer (solstice) is in the middle of june.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Prompted by a suggestion in a Heat Pump thread, I requested a D/N meter last week.

Electric Ireland got back to me; D/N meter will be installed week after next; I mentioned that we're installing Solar PV, and did I need to get a Smart Meter; the lady said that the rollout was very slow and she couldn't say when they would be available in our area.

(We're with SSE, thankfully, so will be okay for a deemed export FIT)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

August is the warmest or at least the second warmest month of the year. So it's obviously summer, not autumn.

Tell that to your available sunlight/daytime hours...

• Advertisement

LOL, you might have a point. What's the average total monthly solar irradiation per month in Ireland (say Dublin)?

Well go by the solstices and equinoxes.

May/June/July would be longest daylight hours, mid june being longest.

Found this. Figures are outdated but it shows that in most places in Ireland June is better than August and May is even better than July!

By that definition summer is May / June / July and it will be autumn in just over a day, on the 1st August.

I guess winter is coming... 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

I guess winter is coming... 😥

That's very Stark.... Ned

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

I believe the meteorological calendar has August as the start of autumn, but the astronomical calendars have September as the first month of autumn

Or I might have that backwards 😅

Since I prefer summer to winter, I've arbitrarily decided the following:

Spring: February, March, April

Summer: May, June, July, August and September

Autumn: October and November

Winter: December and January

I have literally no scientific basis for any of the above, but I'm happy with 5 months of summer 😁

• Advertisement

I love your optimism 😁

Yeah, other way around. Astronomical calendar is August.

It's a far better method. Available daylight hours is a constant, no matter geography. Averaging temperature is grand but we've had Octobers warmer than Septs and Mays warmer than June.

I understand averaging but why use a variable when you have a constant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

For sure winter is nearby, battery went to a dangerously low level of 25% for the first time in about 3 months the other day 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭puntypower

What's the best option for changing electric and gas providers now. My solar will be here in a month and I've a 10kw battery pack ready to go? Don't have an ev but would the ev plans be better to charge the battery pack and discharge during the higher prices during the day?

What's the smart play here?

National average with gas and 4200kwh on Lecky

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

During winter months Nov - Feb, that's the best tactic. Also, use the dishwasher and washing machine during night rate. It'll mean you essentially are using a huge percentage of units at night rate.

During good months March/April to September/October, a good array will power your house and batteries right through to night rate and beyond. Summer months youll hardly buy a night rate unit as the battery gets you right through the night.

* I'm assuming night rate on a proper D/N meter, and not one of those 3 hour ridiculous windows that the smart plans love to promote, while price gouging the other 21 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Do you have an auld skool meter that spins? If so there's a chance it will spin backwards when solar comes so you get a full credit for export (compared to the FIT which will be a % only) - check this forum for 'backwards spinning meter'. Old House makes it more likely as older meter. So if it spins backwards when you get the solar, do nothing for now. Wait until the output starts to wane / you get a smart meter which the NC6 from your installer submits to ESB will prompt.. At that point you'll have much more sense of house consumption so know how much you need to use per day - so helps pick a tariff that works for you. That's the approach I am taking and let's me 'find my feet' with the setup..

If you already have a night meter or smart meter that gives you better pricing at night based on current tariff you are on, as @6 says, start to load shift stuff onto that (you can start now until solar arrives) to use the night rate assuming you have an existing tariff that.

I use the TP Link Tapo smart plugs for that and they are perfect and very easy to use on an app. So means my old dishwasher now is 'smart' and has a decent timer (via the Tapo app). They have 2 models. One tracks energy usage as well as being a smart plug. That's very handy to see watts used by device to see when you want different devices to come on even when you have the battery. Anything heating water (kettle, disshwasher, washing machine) is using 2/3kw constantly while heating.. I got 2 of those. Then rest or mine are same type but without the energy tracking and are cheaper.

You'll deffo be moving to offload as many units to night as possible for winter months.

I'm gonna stay away from a 3 hour cheap rate EV plan for my first winter until I know more so I don't get hit with mad peak rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

According to https://www.purevolt.ie/domestic-solar/feed-in-tariffs.php Date 14th July, SSE, Pinergy and Energia pay FIT. (But can't find anything on Energia website)

https://energyd.ie/export-payments/ also similar info.

Unless it was some insider information, nothing has publicly been announced yet. Although energia is 100% renewable..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Here’s the latest from Electric Ireland.

From the Solar Facebook Group I’m in

Extremely grateful to receive the following reply from Electric Ireland via Brian McDonagh, Parliamentary Assistant, Office of Aodhán Ó Ríordáin TD

1) Has Electric Ireland specified a price for which microgenerators will be paid yet?

Yes we have a price of 14c/kWh. Our ambition is that first payment will be made at end of 2022 in the form of backdated credit on the customer’s bill and thereafter payment will be as per customer bill frequency, with each bill reflecting the export as well as the import in that period. As it stands, this payment frequency is something only being offered by Electric Ireland as it is the most transparent format for customers so that they can better understand and engage with their microgen export.

2. Have we communicated it yet?

No we haven’t announced it as yet. We are in a very good position with direct, tailored comms prepared for our various cohorts of microgen customers so that information on their upcoming payment will be as clear as possible for the different situations. Our schedule is to contact our microgen customers directly in the week commencing 8th of August to align with launch of informative webpage. Right now we’re waiting for absolute confirmation that the payment build will run to schedule.

3. Is it per the legal requirements already to be doing this?

Yes, it is within the guidelines set out by CRU. CRU set out that price must be a fair price above 0c and Electric Ireland have met that requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Electric Ireland to pay 14c per reply via the office of Aodhán Ó Ríordáin TD. The reply posted on the Irish Solar PV facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/621882648680406/posts/1133118180890181) says they have communication going out from next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It seems that they all are coming in at the 14c mark.

Only Bord gais and Energia of the big players left

I made a move earlier in the week, as my tariff was up. Energia called me, this morning, asking what they could do to make me stay.

Rep told me that they were not going to officially announce their FIT for another month... Now what the customer engagement rep knows is another thing but he was confidant that he would not be able to give me a FIT within my "Change of Mind" window

Why could there not have been a set rate at a minimum of 10c set by government?

As in: What was the lame excuse the government landed at the EU door? You know, the same excuse they use to avoid doing anything consumer friendly, while ignoring France announcing the exact same initiatives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭allinthehead

According to the Cru it was set at 0 cent to be in line with the liberalisation of the market and to encourage competition. 🤔👍

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Selling power back to your supplier

Irish Examiner

Full article:

Ah yes the free market which always delivers the best value to the customer

Perhaps someone could explain why prices keep going up then, even before the energy crisis 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I got a useless email from Bord Gais just now where they talk about their micro generation. No FiT figure given is the long and the short of it. They'll come back in a few weeks with more details.

We’re getting in touch to give you some information about upcoming microgeneration payments.
    How does it work?
    First, ESB Networks (ESBN) sends us your Maximum Export Capacity (MEC) once you’re connected to the grid for export – letting us know that you’re eligible for a payment
    As you're not currently eligible to have a smart meter installed, ESBN then sends us your “deemed export quantity” – which is calculated using a standard formula from the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU)
    Then, we’ll use your “deemed export quantity” and our Microgeneration tariff rate to calculate how much money you’ve earned for the electricity you’ve exported
    What do I need to do?
    Nothing for now. We’ll be back in contact in a few weeks to confirm further details of our tariff and our Microgeneration Scheme terms and conditions.
    In the meantime, click below to see our Help section dedicated to answering your smart meter and microgeneration questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭con747

Similar here. They can shove the smart meter where the panels don't generate until I have no option but change the old type backwards meter.

Hi ####,                             

We’re committed to supporting our customers on the journey to net zero. One way we’re doing this is by paying customers with microgenerators for the excess electricity they export back to the network.Frequently asked questions

How do I get this payment?

As you have a microgenerator, you’ll be eligible for this payment as soon as you have a smart meter installed.

How do I get a smart meter?

Apply for a prioritised smart meter installation by calling us on 01 611 01 04. You can do this even if you’ve opted out of having a smart meter in the past.

How much will I receive?

Your payment will be based on the amount of metered electricity you export.

Do I need to change my existing plan?

No, you can stay on your current electricity plan – there’s no need to move to a smart tariff.

We’ll be back in contact in a few weeks to confirm further details of our tariff and our Microgeneration Scheme terms and conditions.

In the meantime, click below to see our Help section dedicated to answering your smart meter and microgeneration questions.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Intersting that they decided not to ler the free market decide when it came to the pso levy and subsidising wind farms and renewables, but for microgeneration they did let the market decide!

Advertisement