Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

yup.. 3kw for 29.50 a month here. a hell of a lot better than any other quote. I was tempted by self install, will install more panels myself in future but it wouldn't have happened this year. lot of other capital projects on the go. With FIT it pays for itself. First month looks like 70 euro saved. I realise the winter will yield very little, maybe 15 euro saving. but may to August should pay most of the years bill. Happy with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'm paying 19.6c per unit(41% loyalty discount) with Energia so this effectively means net metering for me right? Well until they raise their rates/discount expires.

Actually its 21.54c incl. vat but not far off.

Seriously, how are standing charges still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Just had a quick look at the Day/Night plans from Energia. There are tow plans "Home Elec" and £Elctric Car" they appear to have exactly the same terms and conditions - but one is .13 night rate and the other is .079 - why on earth would you not select Electric Car? There doesnt appear to be any time listed for the cheaper night rate... I have a DAY/NIGHT meter not a smart meter...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭WattsUp

Because the day rate is 22c and 268c respectively. Depends on the mix of day and night you use.

• Advertisement

Actually no - from what I can see it says the EV Day rate is .27 and the Home Elec Day rate is .29. So again I just pulled this direclty from their website just now... its a no brainer... why would anyone with a D/N meter NOT pick EV? I have no EV but so what....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

They didn't even ask me if I had an EV when I signed up for it .

The discount on the normal plan has been reduced... Might be a idea to change to the ev tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They're going to be more of a thing I suspect, it's a great trick for suppliers to make their unit rates appear cheaper

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

mods delete post please

Post edited by jkforde on

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I just rang them before seeing this post, they said its still being discussed, no set date or prices, possibly till October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

But they have posted a rate on their site at that link

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Heggarti2

Just on this, I rang today about the EV rate. I was told if I signed up to this I would not be eligible to receive the FIT.

I do not have an EV car yet but plan to purchase soon. I got a lot of questions about the charger.

It didn’t seem to be an issue to sign up to the rate, if I was ok with not receiving the FIT.

Has anyone else been told this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

afaik, if ESBN have your NC6 form (actually exporting any clean energy is optional 😂), then you'll get the metered or deemed export CEG, regardless of your tarrif. that's my understanding anyhows.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I was surprised, as I think this gives a provider a way out of paying a feed in tariff.

I was told I could only avail of the day/night rate and not the EV rate. Which is roughly 7c v 13c at night.

I wasn’t asked directly if I had PV panels, it basically came up in conversation and because i do, they will not pay me the FIT if I went ahead with the new rate.

OK but do they pay you directly - or pay the current provider you sign up with? could they hold that money for ransom??

That Energia deal was looking to good to be true anyways. Best FIT plus cheap night rate. oh well

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I think that is the distinction. You are opting into a D/N meter after FIT has been announced. I would expect those of us already on the Energia EV tariff (and thus already on a D/N meter) to get deemed export.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

i hope you’re right for existing D/N.

Bad timing for me as my contract was just up and FIT tariff announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Bord gais announced 18.5c per kwh

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/microgeneration

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

Finally got an official email from EI 14c confirmed.

Interestingly they seem to think that I don't have a smart meter, and not eligible for one. They are saying calculated. I wonder which is better. Calculator time... Need to go back on the thread to see the calculations.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

100% estimated is better, just get a big-ass battery and export nothing but still get paid for it.

Capitalism at its worst 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It will nearly always be better to be on the "deemed export" as you get paid for a set % of your max theoretical generation regardless of whether you actually export it or not. So, they might calculate your "deemed export" as 1200kWh but you might only be actually exporting 400kWh but you will get paid for the 1200kWh!! 😀

The case where it would make more sense to be on the measured export is if you are already exporting alot of what you generate.

e.g. If you had a 6kWp system you would get a "deemed" export of 1784kWh. If you are exporting more than 1784kWh already then it makes more sense to be on the measured export but you have to watch the smart meter tariffs being bad value as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So it looks like the microgenerators are (for now) getting a better rate on the CEG than the mini generators (over 6kW) who get the 13.5c/kWh CEP

I wonder what the inflection point is where the CEP makes more sense, obviously the rate is lower but more panels means you can export more

For example, I'm pretty sure I can get 7.2kWp of panels on my roof. So in theory I could go for the CEG and limit my export to 6kW, or got all in for the CEP

I haven't found any calculators which allow you to work with export limiting, so I did some rough estimates using PV GIS with 6kWp and 7.2kWp systems. It's pretty coarse I know, but theoretically the amounts of generation per year is ~5800kWh for 6kWp and ~7000kWh for 7.2kWp for my house

So, if I was exporting everything then it works out a bit like this

5,800kWh * €0.1962/kWh = €1138

7,000kWh * €0.135/kWh = €945

However, a bigger array lets me offset more, and with 11,000kWh of annual consumption from the grid, I shouldn't have much troucle finding a use for all that solar energy 😁

I guess one way to to figure out how many kWh of CEP are needed to match the equivalent CEG payment

So,

€1138 / €0.135/kWh = ~8,400kWh

Some very rough estimates put that as around 8.7kWp system for me

So I guess if you're in the area between 6-9kWp then it's better to limit export and use the CEG payments

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

As you may be aware the Microgen Support Scheme came into effect with the introduction of the Clean Export Guarantee (CEG) on the 15th Feb 2022. 

Our records show that you have already submitted an NC6 form. You may already have a smart meter, if you don’t, ESB Networks are already planning to install one for you as a priority so there is no further action for you to take. 

We are happy to confirm some of the important details about how and when you will be paid for your excess electricity.

When will my payment start?

Your first payment will be made by end of 2022 and this will be backdated to the latest of the following dates:

• February 15th 2022
    • The date your NC6 was processed
    • The date your smart meter was installed

This first payment will be applied in the form of a credit on your bill. After your first payment you will receive a microgen credit on each bill, reflecting the amount of electricity you exported in that period. 

What rate will I be paid?

Electric Ireland is pleased to offer a rate of 14c per kWh. We estimate that this payment will range between €50 - €300 per year, depending on the size and type of your microgen system (a typical installation of 10 PV panels would be about €150 per year).

Making a difference together.

Microgeneration helps power Ireland’s journey to a sustainable, low carbon future. To learn more about Microgeneration, click below.

Above email received and I rang Electric Ireland to query as I got a smart meter installed on 10th July. The agent I spoke to confirmed that 'Deemed Export Calculation' will only be used where you are ineligible for a Smart Meter and that if you are eligible you will not be paid deemed export but only from the point that the Smart meter is installed.

He stated that this would be the case with all providers.

In this case I would receive nothing from the 15th February until 10th July. I thought this was contrary to the legislation but he reckons it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭mun1

Got email from EI today saying i was due a rebate but as i am “not eligible” for a smart meter, i would get a “deemed export credit payment based on the size of your installation before end of 2022”.

my NC6 form was submitted in march 2020 for 3.6kw of solar so would that make the export credit due

3.6 x 0.097 x 0.35 x 8,500 = 1,033 kwhr for full year = €114 ? (Only calcs i can find in CRU documentation )

i reckon i have exported approx 700kwh already this year .

be nice to be getting some payment anyway

Apparently its based on the MEC value on your NC6 form which is the inverter size, not array size! So, your deemed export might even be more than what you have calculated but other than that your formula/calculations are roughly correct (the last figure should be 8760)

What is your inverter size in kWp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Will we be forced into smart plans to get the CEG?

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭mun1

• Advertisement

Yes/No.... if you are already on a d/n tariff you wont be offered a smart meter YET, and so you will be given the deemed export discussed above and you can stay on whatever tariff you are currently on.

If you are on a 24hr tariff and you are offered a smart meter you have to accept the smart meter if you want the FiT.

Advertisement