Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

the whole 'fill large battery with low night rate and export max. solar with highest available CEG' only really makes sense if you have a smart meter (metered exported) and have a reasonably large battery (>10kW) to see you thru a winter day (worst day use case).

and the current smart plans (rip-offs) don't make any sense unless you can minimise their exorbitant day rates with a large battery, but then they ain't cheap, unless you go DIY battery...

so we're talking about a fairly niche scenario for most punters

meanwhile... on these bloody rate increases, how much notice do you reckon do the likes of Bonkers get to incorporate future rate changes into their projected calculations? was advised by retention team fella to hold off until my planned renewal in mid Oct., but wondering if I should grab current offer before another rate increase!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My Energia EV contract is up day, I'm going to sit back and do the sums for a year on FIT and inevitable smart meter, as a dual EV household we will use a MW per month come the Winter so I'm going to go with another Energia EV today as they are fixed and I anticipate a hike rise shortly...7.9c Night, 27.4c Day, if I do stay under their 1MW a month price limit I may charge my batteries at night but not really pushed about do that...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I had quick look at switching from a 24hr rate (I have a smart meter) to a Smart rate package. It looked like a bit of work to fill my battery and electric car at night time and use the washing machine and all that....

It looked like I might save €200 a year on basic calculations. Then i looked at the standing charge and it was way more than the normal 24hr tariff!!!

How can they justify a different standard charge, more than €100 per year, for a different tariff - it costs no more to bring the electricity to your door and we (collectively) are trying to be greener and putting less stress on the grid, but are being pushed back from doing that. Its sneaky too.

So for now, its cheaper for me to charge my car at peak times, than switch to a tariff that would make me use way more at night time. Its frustrating that they are so underhanded and are fighting us trying to make the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

info@cru.ie with a complaint into their complaint black hole 🤔😂🙄

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

I agree, that's why I'm going to wait another year and see what all these FIT plans turn out to be more longer term, fek all will be exported soon anyhow now the days getting shorter/sun lower....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Ouch

I guess they gotta pay for that generous FIT somehow 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Wow. Yeah... you see i still have not recieved dime one of that FIT money... but my battery is still giving me cheap summer elextricity and will soon give me cheap night rate during the daytime... Im glad i have it... even if for no other reason to sell it on someday when its NOT saving me money. Ive still not paid a red cent to a provider this year...

I hope we dont end up like the UK with the rate rises...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

And the UK has eroded their FIT rates over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

45.2% increase in electricity unit rate and 8% increase in standing charge which equates to 35.4% on the average bill.

https://www.sseairtricity.com/news/sse-airtricity-announces-price-change-in-response-to-sustained-increases-in-wholesale-energy-costs-26aug2022/

I added the 45% and the 8% to the SSE prices that I had previously, and as expected it moved down the table.

I ran 2 scenarios the only difference is the battery. This is specific to me as was stated numerous times. My panels all face SE. So very limited solar when I cook dinner at peak time. The battery normally saves me from the grid at this time.

My load shifting is seasonal, and based on my current providers cheapest rate (2-4 a.m. -- I have a smart meter, and no EV -- yet). It will fill the 5.7kWh battery handily. I have a battery so I choose to use it for load shifting. It has a self preservation function and really slows down it's charge rate after 90% so I don't go that high in the top-up.

This (really cloudy August day, 20/08) is what I expect my usage pattern to look like in the winter

The battery works for me. I'm pretty sure that if the panels were facing South or Southwest it would be a different story. Even if I had my dinner in the middle of the day, then the case for the battery goes away.

I'm thinking of a second battery to get to 10kWh, but that is to provide a backup for grid failure -- a completely different discussion.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Wow, that SSE Rate increase is really something,

+45% on unit rates, I had their current rates at 23.23D and 12.62 Night, that increase brings it to 33.6D and 18.30 night...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

And still almost 50% lower than people in the UK will be paying from Oct (52p)

The cause of the UK increase is because it is over regulated and they cannot hedge gas purchasing for more than 3 months.

Here there is not such stupid regulation and they will hedge up to 2 years - so slower to increase but possibly slower to decrease if a major gas price drop came (unlikely)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

45% ! what a pack of cnuts. No doubt the owners of SSE are sunning themselves on the decks of their superyachts while ordinary people struggle like eejits trying to pay for it all. Solar feed in tariff sees no proportional increase of course

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My SSE contract ends in late October.

When I joined I was paying 23.3c day and 11.5c night (Inc vat).

I'm now paying 31c day and 16.9c night.

If that 45% bump is universal then I'm up to 45c day and 24.5c.

So my rates have doubled in less than a year. Current standing charge is 88c which will rise to 95c.

Problem is that this will be the first of many increases IMO. Russia will cut gas supplies down to a trickle this winter, prices will go through the roof and suppliers will be charging silly money for every kilowatt

SSE may be first but the others will follow suit soon enough, so switching might not be any use

At least by October the increases should hopefully all be done and you'll have a clearer picture

I signed up to the Energia EV plan again today, apart from decent rates it’s also fixed for the year, guy on phone said FIT can be included at 18.5c but I’m going to pass this time around…

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FML. I signed up with SSE Airtricity back in March I think and just a couple of days after my cooling down period was finished they announced a massive price hike. And here we are again, just a few months later and an even bigger price hike. It's ridiculous that we can't switch provider without penalty after a price hike. It's anti-competitive, possibly even illegal

Ah well, extra motivation to bring my PV up to 15kwp ASAP

Would switching now and paying the contract break charge still be in your best interest?

What's your current effective rate? At 30c 50 euro is only 166 units.

Yes was thinking exactly that. €50 contract break fee is not all that much compared to a monthly electricity bill LOL. I'll have time, the new rates aren't effective until October

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Can you post up the "Your New Energia Price Plan" email when you get it please?

This is mine from December;

It comprehensively confirms fixed rate or fixed discount. There has been lots of FUD around Energia EV rate as of late so it would be good to confirm if it is indeed still fixed price.

• Advertisement

I'm considering breaking early, even though I'm near the end.

Right now I can get Energia with an 8c night rate. Because of my battery, the night rate accounts for 90%+ of my usage. And if they fix that rate for the year, it could be worth breaking before Energia follow suit and jack the rates.

I need SSE to confirm that they'll issue a refund on my €400+ of credit too.

I have renewed at the end of July

And this is from 2021, I had this for the full year, through the price rise.

I had 4.78c/kWh incl. VAT night rate for the whole year up to March 2022 (as one of the very first subscribers to the Energia EV plan in early 2021)

RIP decent electricity prices 😓

My night rate is set to hit 25c in the October bump. By that stage the solar generation will have dived so I'll be buying 500+ units in the month.

That's a difference of €85. Probably closer to €150 once September is included.

I think I'll call SSE Monday and confirm that they'll send me a cheque for my remaining credit (€463 - €50 exit fee) and then I'll take my business to Energia again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I called energia as in contract

I can switch at end of month ?? But contract not up till November so not sure what he meant by that. I was running around so couldn’t really talk

Advice was that all suppliers are going to plough up prices and wait till October to do price comparison…

That's where Energia have the advantage. They're the only one as far as I know who will guarantee their rates. So why wait until everyone boosts the price, when Energia are already the cheapest night rate in the market?

Exactly, fixed unit rates when severe price increases looming is another huge advantage of the Energia EV price plan, normally I get through pretty quick to them but was caller 19 when I phoned them yesterday. To lock in costs is to know for certain…I’m 87% night rate (given PV generation during daylight hours and 2 EV charging at night rate come Winter months)

Certainly if you've a battery (and an EV or two) then I think that EV plan is the best out there right now

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

Ah here I just signed up to SSE smart plan 23.24 | 17.63 | 24.79 day/night/peak which looks much higher than others are on... And I'm to expect 35% on top of that?!

i need to jump on the cooling off period. but where to move that won’t also be doing that hike.

Lots of talk of day/night plans with sub 10c night rates… can they be used when you have a smart meter? I don’t see those tariffs when I’m searching

• Advertisement

No they're only if you have a day/night meter unfortunately

Advertisement