Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I think I remember reading in the actual legislation that the regulator

"greater than 0c and if that doesn't work, we'd review after 12 months"

i.e. we'll let you have a bit of rope, but we'll use it to strangle you if you mess up.....and to be fair, it's worked well. Most (all?) the suppliers played ball. That said, the CRU is pretty woeful in my experience and that historically they have not met the needs of the market, not just in FIT, but right across the board with other things like grid provisioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Probably worth considering that the current number of customers who'll get the FIT is a small fraction of their customer base. So even if they set the rate high for now it won't cost them much in the overall scheme of things

Especially when you consider that those customers receiving a FIT payment are still paying for any electricity they import. So in effect the FIT is just a discount for many customers

Another consideration is that a lot of suppliers are offering solar PV installations. It's a good selling point to say you've a 19c FIT for anyone looking to install solar

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

Agree 100%, every chance they'll eventually drop the price per kWh, or never increase it at the least.

Other countries have nett pricing, and it wouldn't be a big ask for the regulators here to fix the price at say 80-90% of what you pay during the day. Would give certainty of potential earnings for anyone considering getting solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

I was told by a very unreliable & untrustworthy solar rep there was an EU ruling that providers they had to pay ~60% of the market rate in FIT. I'm assuming there is no such mandatory thing as the Irish regulator couldn't then have set at 0% for market to determine.

He also said mass, so pinch of salt...

His surname wasn't Burke was it, I hear they're prone to launching into a good sermon? 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

How do I sign up for this? Have solar panels on the house. Seems to me that they generate power during the day (when I don't need it) and it all goes to waste (I get it goes back to the grid)....so would be great if I got paid something.

Any downside to being signed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If you a have a spinning disc meter that runs bckwards at present there is no real incentive to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Hens teeth those are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

I don't have one of those. I have a digital meter, but not a smart meter.

If you've sent in your NC6 form to ESBN then you should get signed up automatically. Some customers have been contacted by their supplier to let them know they'll be getting the FIT

Incidentally, you'll be getting deemed export since you probably don't have a smart meter, so you'll just get a fixed amount per year based on your array size

• Advertisement

Bit of comedy, I worked out based on my usage pattern how much I'm likely to make on deemed versus metered export with a 6kWp array

Deemed export = €324

Metered export = €1.60

(That's before tax of course, I know that revenue will come looking for their cut when I go over €200)

Probably worth mentioning I'm assuming a high amount of self consumption since I'm planning to get a 20kWh battery plus an Eddi and I've already got 2 EVs to divert juice into

In reality my self consumption will be lower I know, but I still think I won't be sending a ton of kWh to the grid

Just hope I don't get a letter for a smart meter anytime soon 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭allinthehead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Through what mechanism goes revenue get their cut? Do you have to declare it on form 11 or does it done automatically?

Can't find any info on Revenue with details, so I've sent them an enquiry

From what I've seen from SEAI and gov.ie it looks like if you recieve under €200 you don't need to declare anything, but when you go over you need to declare it as additional income

What I'm unsure about it is if you have to declare all of the FIT payments as additional income, or just the excess over €200

So in my example, would I be taxed on €124 or €324 🤷‍♂️

Ha, still doesn't make up for their awful import rates

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its considered income so I'd imagine it would have to be done via a Form 11 declaration. I dont think it could be done automatically as the provider wouldn't know what your marginal tax rate is or what your PPSN number is etc.

That is interesting. They were one of the first to release their FiT rate at 13.5c but they are now not competitive and have increased it when they see others offering 18-20c.... I suspect the CRU will see that as vindication of their hands off approach and letting the market decide via competition!

It will of course work the other way too when the prices start dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

On the delays to pay out, I saw it mentioned by Panda in an article that they delay came from being given incorrect data by ESBN. I read it again now and they say incorrect format.

Wanna bet they were sent in PDF or scanned handwritten files or something ridiculous like that?

Panda Power said: “Micro gen payments will start to be paid this week. ESB had sent erroneous data which has delayed us from making payments. The data has been rectified and testing will take place tomorrow, payments to follow shortly after.”

In response to a query from The Journal, ESB Networks said: “Following receipt of a recent supplier query, ESB Networks made the decision to resend some of the data files to electricity suppliers.”

“The data files originally sent were accurate but not in the expected format in the retail market. ESB Networks engaged closely with electricity suppliers throughout this process and promptly completed reissuing of the data files in the expected format.”

ESBN sent an xlsx document but Panda are still running Excel 2003 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I find it hard to believe that is what caused the problems. You can open an xlsx file in Excel 2003 if you use the free compatibility pack.

• Advertisement

I was joking 😜

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's probably the other way around and ESB is still using Windows 7 or something 😂

Nonsense, there's no way they're that advanced 😂

Probably using SunOS 4

Does anyone know if you get deemed export if you're above 6kW and on the CEP rate?

Kinda tempted to put panels on the north side of my roof but it would put me over 6kW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I think it's measured on inverter size... so panels amount won't matter I guess.

I added panels to my install and my nc6/grant was set on original amount. Not sure what happens if you update anything. Esb have been screwing up sharing the original data so not likely they will give the providers an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

Probably answered before, but with a d/n meter and a battery, do you still get deemed export credit for the rating of the inverter?

Yes, with a d/n meter it is “deemed export” you will get based on inverter size.

The number of panels and presence of a battery don’t come into it. Inverter peak rating is what counts… but no one has been paid yet so who knows what the providers will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

Seems like too obvious a loophole to last!

Basically getting paid twice for the array for the kWH you are deemed to export, but actually store in battery

Yeah seems strange, I could install a 6kW inverter with one 400W solar panel connected and get paid for 6kW 🤔

I guess the plan is to use smart meters to get rid of all of the people on deemed export anyway, so it's a short lived problem

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It’s an administrative simple approach, “they” applied a formulae. Sure plug in an EV, use an EDDI and have batteries and your export should be immaterial

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement