Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

I suppose the absolute amounts involved wouldn't be massive either.

You need to have a D/N meter, need to have solar, need to have (and use) a battery. And even then its probably only a few 100 euro a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I worked out that it you go to the max allowed power for single phase, 6kW, then the max you can make before tax is around €320

So you're unlikely to make a fortune from deemed export

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

They even mentioned in the document that it could be an avenue for exploit..

I did mention before that you could just send in the nc6 and put nothing in....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There is no technical reason why a smart meter can’t be used instead of d/n meters so it will be a short lived loophole… so, as they say, make hay while the sun shines… literally!

True, but as of yet ESBN haven't managed to implement a D/N plan on smart meters, so I guess it's beyond their technical prowess

The whole smart meter thing is a bit of a fiasco, they're a really good idea when they allow people to properly manage their consumption and access cheaper rates

So far however it's just been a constant stream of price gouging and technical ineptitude 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

It's probably cheaper to leave the loophole than implement a solution as it is a very small group of users versus the costs of a dev team and associated hanger ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

There's a reason that 80% of those with smart meters are not on smart plans. That includes my gaff.

Someone up in Kildare Street should really cop on to this reality and ask why the **** this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They probably overpaid massively for the installation of smart meters and supporting infrastructure as they always do. So now they try to recoup the costs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

This topic is veering OT but my casual observation of the UK electricity market has also been that smart meters are not to the benefit of the consumer and similar to here end up in "rip-off" plans etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Except you don't get any deemed export with an immersion diverter with some suppliers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That is not good news and means there is little chance of improvement. No civil servant ever got fired for copying something UK/Germany did.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

Germany is doing some really good stuff. No income tax on domestic solar FIT, zero vat on PV kit...

Can we copy that please?

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Which frankly is ridiculous. They have no way of knowing.

I know it's in the terms but still stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

And Germany are even changing to allow 30kW of solar PV with no tax on your FIT. For a domestic property

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agreed as many people divert way more to battery and / or EV than to immersion and that is allowed. The people who made up those rules probably aren't very tuned in.

I really like the idea of having your cake (three ways) and eating it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

My export has always been credit on my bill from electric ireland, for the last 12 years not sure if that will change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agreed, as I pointed out earlier an EV or batteries will soak, but if you think about it further any modest setup (4-6 panels) will have all but total self usage and will get deemed export. I actually think that all efforts on PV deserve the deemed as recognition of efforts (remembering not everyone got their PV install grant aided)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

sure why not. Everyone is about to get a check from the government thats not mean tested...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

After weeks of trying to get through to SSE got a call back about the feed in tariff.

was told I need a smart meter to avail. Is this correct?

currently have a night meter where the EV is charged at night. If I switch to a smart meter will I lose this?

it would appear smart meter plans are much more expensive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No. D/N meters get a deemed export based on the size of your inverter until such time as they figure out how to migrate D/N customers to smart meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Do not change to a smart meter. You will end up paying way more for your electricity. Whoever told you that either doesn't know what they are talking about or they are being underhand with their info in an effort to get you to switch to a smart meter.... resist it at all costs.

They are legally obliged to pay you your FiT, backdated to Feb 2022.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

With a 5kW Ginlong Solis Inverter what is that worth to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

Energia CEG = €0.1967

5.0kWp x 0.097 x 0.35 x 8760hrs = 1471 kWh

1471 x 0.1967 = ~€290 deemed export CEG

just to put it perspective, read elsewhere that Norway or Sweden are paying 0.60c FIT! (no idea how it's taxed though)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Wrong FIT, he's with SSE so it's 14c/kWh

1471 x 0.14 = €205

Might be worth changing to get the better FIT however

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Emailed esbnetworks@esb.ie over a week ago to check if they have my NC6 but didn’t get a reply. Are they just slow or am I wasting my time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

They are slow. But normally 5/6 working days i got a reply. I emailed them twice... I replied on second email using persons first name (after 6 days) and taht got me a same day reply

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Anyone know how long after install the documentation is sent into ESB, SEAI etc. The installer is getting the grant paid directly, but have not got invoice for the installation, so assume it will come any day now.

Post edited by cloughy on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

Energia's official microgen welcome email just arrived

no mention of an exact date when the CEG credits will be applied

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I got an email today from Energia also, never had to register with them for FIT. Email below:

Welcome to the Microgeneration Scheme

Dear customer,

ESB Networks have let us know that you’re eligible for the Microgeneration Scheme. This means you can get money back on any surplus energy you export back to the grid.

What is the Microgeneration Scheme?

The Microgeneration Scheme was signed in to law by the Irish Government on 15 February 2022.

This has dual benefits for you:

Contributing to a greener Ireland by exporting surplus renewable energy.

Reducing your own electricity expenses.What do I need to do?

As ESB Networks have already let us know you are eligible, you don’t need to do anything.

We’ll set everything up and you will receive your Clean Export Guarantee (CEG) first payment in Autumn 2022.

How much will I be paid?

Energia offer a rate of 18 cent per kWh exported to the grid by our customers.

When and how will I be paid?

You can expect your first CEG payment from us in Autumn 2022, this will appear as a credit on your Energia electricity bill. If you were registered with Energia before 15 February 2022 your first payment will be backdated to then otherwise your payment will be backdated to when your supply switched to Energia.

From then on, payment will be credited on your electricity bill in line with your regular billing cycle.

Want more information on your microgeneration payment or have any questions? Click below for an in-depth look at the scheme.

Kind regards

Energia

Advertisement