Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Autumn 2022... what's the bet that Energia's calendar has January 2023 marked as Autumn 🤨

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Called them just now and apparently they have about 5000 letters to send out to PV folk starting from next week (earlier in reality it seems?)

We don't need to do anything as ESBN gives them the info and I was surprised he knew about deemed export and he could see I have a 6kwh export limit and he tried to explain to me the deemed formula.

Could do with a bit of fake export credits on my bill coming into winter 🤣

Just noticed these today:

If only the idiots in charge wanted to make a real difference with FIT and add net metering.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carbuncle

it was mentioned that vat in Germany is set at 0% for solar pv hardware.

this is because of an eu directive announced in February this year that member countries can choose to reduce the vat on renewable hardware to between 0 and 5% (includes heatpumps).

I will be doing a self install on my flat roof (when I can get hardware) as I can buy the 6kW of hardware for under €5k ex vat (no battery but hybrid inverter). That’s with a non invasive ballasted rack mount which is expensive enough.

the difference in vat on the above between even 5% and 23% is €900 of hard earned taxed income, and of course I won’t be getting €2,400 in grant from the taxpayer.

When asking the Irish wholesalers re reduced vat they had heard of it but had no knowledge of a lower rate being implemented here.

I emailed a Wicklow green td 2 months ago and asked about reduced vat, he had never heard of it, or much about solar pv by the sounds of it. Not good. He said he would raise the point and get back to me, never heard back.

maybe it will be mentioned in the budget.

and the max grant is not really €2,400 as a ber is required to claim - so a minimum of €250 required for that. I would guess that for most a ber is worthless until perhaps they sell up.

grants don’t work, the few seai installers just add it in. In scotland there is reduced vat and you can avail of a zero interest loan. Installers don’t need to be specially registered so much more competition.

I would say that if reduced vat is introduced here then the seai will be involved and zero savings will be passed on. Anybody should be able to rock up to wholesalers and pay 5% vat or less - the net effect would probably be more sales and more income to revenue.

there is a price point for the everybody re solar pv and a reduction in vat that is actually passed on may well increase installations which can only be good.

I would support maybe a mixture of zero % loans and tax credits for a while (instead of a grant) - forget the special installers and all the seai grant nonsense.

why the need for special installers? Solar pv is basically click to connect plus a new rcb - a piece of cake to any domestic reci registered electrician.

I am a tad cynical on the governments attitude to domestic micro generation - the more that is done the less income to revenue via vat on domestic bills and taxes on energy suppliers profits.

And now the cheeky citizen expects to be paid for what they supply!

ps. If anybody has found an eu based supplier at a reduced vat rate it would be good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Looks like the return on investment in my self install is coming down rapidly.

300 saved in standing charge changing to pinergy ev from bord Gaia ev plan. Obviously won't take this into consideration on payback but still nice.

First fit payment received today. Standing charge of 280 so this first payment cancels that out already. Happy days 😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Happy days, I think your the first one to be paid!

Is that the measured FIT too?

Got the email from energia today too

"

When and how will I be paid?

You can expect your first CEG payment from us in Autumn 2022, this will appear as a credit on your Energia electricity bill. If you were registered with Energia before 15 February 2022 your first payment will be backdated to then otherwise your payment will be backdated to when your supply switched to Energia.

From then on, payment will be credited on your electricity bill in line with your regular billing cycle."

• Advertisement

Cheers, yes that's the measured export. Around 1500 units exported to be paid by bord gais as left them in June but they aren't paying out until next march. Prefer the way pinergy and Energia are doing it with credit on each bill for export

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm with Energia years, no email yet, might give them a bell tomorrow for deemed export

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yep my dad is with them and received email yesterday too so looks like they sending notifications out now. It mentioned that they had acknowldgement of nc6 submitted and would be paying out deemed export next month accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Not sure if anyone could help me with the query I have.

I phoned sseairtricity and asked them to fit me a Day/Night meter, I currently have a 24hr one. According to their website, they only pay you FIT if you have a smart meter or "any other meter type than a 24 hour or smart meter".

My question is. Is the day/night meter considers any other type?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

It just doesnt seem to add up to. Why would they pay FIT to Day/Night meters but not to 24 hour meters? Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Because MCC02 (day night) meters are not eligible for smart meter replacement yet.

I've been saying this for weeks. If you had a non activated smart meter and replaced with an mcc02, you will get the deemed FIT

So given the recent news that most people on smart meters are still on the dumb plans, how does that affect the FIT?

You didn't refuse the smart meter, you just "forgot" to sign up to one of the plans

So do you get metered export with a dumb plan?

Also what happens on a smart meter when your discount expires, can you sign up again or are you forced into a smart plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

There aren’t any smart plans on smart meters they’re all extortionate.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

After watching the energy regulator on Prime Time, I now understand why the smart meter rollout and plans are a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Inspiring stuff for sure. Basically people are too stupid to sign up for them. Nothing to do with the fact they’ll increase pretty much everyone’s net cost.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just watched that prime time debacle of an offering on smart meters /standing charges and have to say it was the most incompetent interview ever given by the cru. And these are supposed to be in charge of regulation. Astonishing really

FIT increased to 24c by Airtricity along with it's price rises for next month. Interesting that fit is increased with unit prices going up and would be fair if all providers did this going forward.

I'm guessing that any units put into the grid via FIT by a SSE customer (for example) it would mean that SSE can use that as not having to buy it from the wholesale market.

For instance sse customers use 1000MWh in a month. Sse customers exported 500MWh, SSE only needs to buy 500MWh on the wholesale market. If the FIT rate is cheaper than the average wholesale rate, they aren't spending as much.

It's in their interest to keep the exporters as customers.

It would be interesting to have a webpage that tracks the current wholesale price.

• Advertisement

Sounds about right. Just hoping all providers link fit rises to unit rate increases going forward. I expect as wholesale prices fall so too will fit prices so only right that the other way also should happen with rises

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I saw that last night, she had a howler and the incompetence was oozing out of her. This latest revelation that the regulator has no control over standing charges is just madness as well given some companies are charging up to 700 a year just to be connected to the network. We have a regulator who cant actually regulate, thats not her fault but the fault of civil servants who wrote the legislation and the politicians who vote for it.

Its always the same way with 'regulation' in this country, people will remember during the IMF days one of their bailout conditions was for us to bring down the prices of legal services in Ireland which they said were way too high. Fast forward to the actual legislation and it has the fingerprints of the barristers and solicitors all over it, they basically wrote the new laws for the government. Over 200 amendments by their lobby groups were submitted and a huge majority of them are now law. The end result? We still have some of the highest legal fees in the EU that means justice in this country is only for the very wealthy or the very poor. Absolutely nothing changed despite the IMF saying affordable legal fees are part of a modern functioning democracy.

Anyway back on topic

Flogas said it was increasing the payment to homeowners and small businesses using solar panels under its SolarGen Microgeneration scheme to 24c per kWh.

That is set against the back drop of them increasing prices again this morning but it has to be welcomed that FiT is actually going up with prices. Would be better if FiT increases are pegged to price increases but again that goes back to the regulator and again the legislation they work under is toothless and they dont have the power to regulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Where is that announcement? I dont see it on the Microgeneration section of their website.

So I phoned Energia, they said payment will be automatic and backdated, encouraged me to switch from D/N to Smart but I declined (obviously).

Email sent to ESB to confirm NC6 was received

What companies are at 700 per year?

I know some are pushing the 500 mark, but the majority are sub 300, with the rural ones being in 350 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I must have a look at that piece on the energy regulator on Prime Time from last night later. If I can bear it 😂

Here's the link for anyone else planning to watch it:

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/prime-time/SI0000000825?epguid=IH000413034

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just finished watching it this morning on my roku.

What a hapless bumbling fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Interesting, I was on to someone in Energia yesterday about my tariff (not FIT though). And they knew their stuff tariff wise, and recommended the opposite. Move to D/N and not smart meter (still on 24hr meter now).

About a third of the way in I got told by RTE player that my quota had been exceed

I agree, my quota for listening to stupidity was most definitely exceeded after 5 mins of that 😫

I have to say, for once RTE hit the nail on the head

CRU - "We're not aware of any higher standing charges for smart meter"

RTE - "Shouldn't you be?"

What an absolute shambles of a regulator 🙄

I loved the bit where she said smart meters were essential for enabling microgenerators to get paid. Sure I'm looking at about €320 on deemed export versus €2 on metered. A smart meter would certainly be essential to ensuring I didn't get paid...

• Advertisement

sure depends on who you speak to I suppose, I'm 87% Night Rate so sticking to my Energia EV plan

Advertisement