Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PV Feed In Tariff

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and the ESB/provider will take 100% of the excess and sell it on but only pay you for 30%

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    and the ESB/provider will take 100% of the excess and sell it on but only pay you for 30%

Free markets, companies are free to f*ck the customers :rolleyes:

Tbh, I'll be happy with anything as long as they get rid of that pre-2011 clause that was in the PV grant

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The answer to that is dont export it in the first place or size your array accordingly! ;)

Personally, I wouldnt be pleased if I was exporting more than 30% of what I generated.... you might do that on a particular day but not as an average (which is the key point).

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

The consultation clears states every one will be paid a standard rate (most likely wholesale prices) so this idea that the ESB takes 100% of excess is wrong. (thats what they do now :( and pay you nothing )

https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/0ada2-public-consultation-on-a-micro-generation-support-scheme-mss-in-ireland/

The premium FIT only comes in effect with new installs and has this 30% limit but you would get both standard payment and the premium.

..suppose time will tell, not long now, I'd imagine there will be "leaks" in just over a month's time

• Advertisement

..suppose time will tell, not long now, I'd imagine there will be "leaks" in just over a month's time

As soon as someone tells Leo it'll be out :)

I'm surprised they bother doing press releases anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

As soon as someone tells Leo it'll be out :)

I'm surprised they bother doing press releases anymore

He will gladly take the credit for it, plumbers love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Getting close to due date now. Anyone heard how things are developing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I really want to install a PV to the max exportable (6kw?) at my house built post the current cutoff for the SEAI grants but I keep putting it off as I fear that
    1) they might shift the years the SEAI grants area allowed thus allowing me to get some kinda grant coverage
    2) this micro generation tariff will be somehow linked to a system that was installed as part of the SEAI grant

Am I just over thinking this?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I really want to install a PV to the max at my house built post the current cutoff for the SEAI grants but I keep putting it off as I fear that
    1) they might shift the years the SEAI grants area allowed thus allowing me to get some kinda grant coverage
    2) this micro generation tariff will be somehow linked to a system that was installed as part of the SEAI grant

Am I just over thinking this?

You're overthinking it a bit I would say :)

So to your first point, my guess is that you're in a house built after 2012 and and able to get the PV grant? I've emailed the SEAI and Department of Environment before about this and there doesn't seem to be any plans to change it.

Basically the focus is on bringing older houses to a better BER rating, not further improve efficient homes

To the second point, the feed-in tariff seems to be taking the form of 2 rates

The CEG tariff which is a basic minimum export tariff that all energy providers must offer to customers. It'll be determined by the market rates and open to everybody. You'll need to complete a microgenerator application with the ESB (form NC-6 I think?) and there'll be limits around how much you can export

The CEP tariff will be a premium on top of the CEG and is probably going to replace the current grants

I don't think the CEG tariff will require you to have availed of any SEAI grants, as long as you're properly connected to the grid then it should be fine

You will probably need a smart meter for all of this which unfortunately brings more expensive rates

Personally my view is that any export tariff is a bonus and you need to focus on self consumption when looking for ways to make the system affordable.

If your import rate is 15c/kWh and export rate is 5c/kWh, then every kWh you export which you could have used is a net loss of 10c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You're overthinking it a bit I would say :)

So to your first point, my guess is that you're in a house built after 2012 and aren't able to get the PV grant? I've emailed the SEAI and Department of Environment before about this and there doesn't seem to be any plans to change it.

Basically the focus is on bringing older houses to a better BER rating, not further improve efficient homes

To the second point, the feed-in tariff seems to be taking the form of 2 rates

The CEG tariff which is a basic minimum export tariff that all energy providers must offer to customers. It'll be determined by the market rates and open to everybody. You'll need to complete a microgenerator application with the ESB (form NC-6 I think?) and there'll be limits around how much you can export

The CEP tariff will be a premium on top of the CEG and is probably going to replace the current grants

I don't think the CEG tariff will require you to have availed of any SEAI grants, as long as you're properly connected to the grid then it should be fine

You will probably need a smart meter for all of this which unfortunately brings more expensive rates

Personally my view is that any export tariff is a bonus and you need to focus on self consumption when looking for ways to make the system affordable.

If your import rate is 15c/kWh and export rate is 5c/kWh, then every kWh you export which you could have used is a net loss of 10c
    That all makes complete sense and yes, I'm over thinking it :D

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    That all makes complete sense and yes, I'm over thinking it :D

If you're debating whether to pull the trigger or not, then hopefully we'll have answers about the export tariff in the next few months.

So waiting a short while isn't necessarily a bad idea, especially given the current general shortages of just about everything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64,758 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So waiting a short while isn't necessarily a bad idea, especially given the current general shortages of just about everything :(

There are no shortages of solar PV panels, inverters and mounting parts. Prices have gone up a bit though as it now costs more than double what it cost a few years ago to ship a container from China to here

So July 1st it is, nice to see the new FIT scheme published, not!!!!

So July 1st it is, nice to see the new FIT scheme published, not!!!!

It didn't say the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Just says as soon as possible . In the 2nd half....

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Just noticed my new bill (Airtricity) is now at 0.1856c / kWh as I'm out of the "special" year long contract rate. I was hoping the FIT would be in sight at this stage so double whammy now - don't want to take a chance moving to another provided for a better rate (in case they lock me in for the year with no FIT) and still exporting free energy to the greedy b@st@rds !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

At the current smart meter rates, you will be better off sticking to a good electricity deal and just ignore the export and don't worry about it.

Ive exported 1200kwh this year already, and its still better for me to be on a good day/night plan rather than have a smart meter and have a FIT!

Theres no sign of the FIT, It will be lucky to be in by this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Its not too expensive to brake a contract, €50 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Probably wouldn't be worth it for the 'savings' to be had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

plain bonkers situation, doesn't this just sum up the lack of competition & innovation in our market... why aren't we all screaming at the CRU and ministers? I guess if 'we' boycott the smart tarrifs that might be a first step.. (note to self! 🤔)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Ignore: everything I was asking I've found in other threads.

Haven't figured out how to delete posts on the mobile on the new site.

Post edited by paulbok on

just to clear up a simple doubt that I have (and others may have..)

do you have to sign up to a smart tarrif in order to receive the CEG +\- CEP (or whatever export payment scheme is implemented)

There's nothing been announced since the conclusion of the consultation.

But a smart meter will be needed for a feed in tariff.

yeah, i get that a smart meter is required in order to meter the surplus export but is a smart tarrif required in order to get whatever MSS payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Read a comment on here regarding eligibility for grants and house age, if a house is pre 2012 it can't avail of grants for PV? Is that correct? I take it still no selling excess back to the grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The date that your ESB meter went live HAS to be prior to 1 Jan 2011.

Anything from 1/1/11 onwards and you are not currently eligible for the Solar PV grant. Its stoopid, but thems the rules!

And yes, FiT not yet announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Anyone hear any news on the feed-in-tarrifs? I believe it has to be in place by end of year? It's a an EU directive, right? You'd think that they'd have to announce something by Sept/Oct to allow some time for companies to implement those policy changes in the software billing systems.

100% expect that not a single red cent will be paid out before Jan 1st - why would they, they get "free energy" at the moment. Actually there's a thought, I wonder will companies increase their unit price because of FIT? If they are getting currently some energy for free into the grid which they don't have to pay for and are capable of selling for a profit, stands to reason to maintain their same profit margins that there would be a small increase in the standard rates to compensate for that loss in revenue......it'd be minuscule, probably 0.1C or something, but yeah.....interesting thought.

Advertisement